ALPHA 43A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Hey, do you remember when the buildings exploded when you put ovens in the corners? And how that's been a thing for years? And then one day it got fixed? Such good times.

CHANGELOG:

added first iteration of Public House & associated jobs
    added Barber & associated jobs
    added new step styles determined per-building
    added Fishperson nesting mission
    added useful descriptions to most commands & modules in the build menu
    added ability to change character names; players may now subject their friends and family to The Frontier Life
    character ui: memories now have borders to show significance of memories relative to one another
    character ui: made emotion bars longer
    characters now have short-term and long-term memories which aren't yet visibly distinct, but should provide a more accurate overall description of state from what is on the character description window (which is still not finished)
    Offices can now do internal "standing orders" to keep the office running when it is not performing an office service (for instance, putting drinks in the Booze Vat for safe-keeping.)
    Foreigner military units may appear to attack bandits
    when faction groups are destroyed the ticker will give a vaguely accurate cause for their disappearance
    all foreign factions are now hostile to bandits and fishpeople
    sleeping people will now be largely unaware of their surroundings (as in, they will have a very small sight radius)
    (in-progress) adding descriptions to all menu commands
    workers in a workcrew will change uniform to match their overseer's highest skill, if applicable
    Novorusians now have appropriately gendered slavic surnames
    if objects are damaged near a sleeping colonist, the sound will wake them up
    Dodos now know when their nest is destroyed
    Fishpeople may bring food to your colony if you're starving and have good relations with them
    added cement commodity + cement factory building (but fully expect this to become a Ceramics Workshop product)
    added Fishpeople Convoy event
    item dropped by non-colonist agents outside of your settlement will be auto-forbidden when dropped
    if player claims items dropped by non-colonist agents outside of settlement, they will be added to commodities list
    balance: corpses no longer spawn infinite vermin
    balance: starting to re-balance mood & madness effects of memories (in-progress)
    balance: Foreign invasion delay increased & given better notification
    FIXED: modules placed in the corners of buildings such as ovens would cause problematic building geometry and geometry explosions
    FIXED: items carried by non-colonist agents won't show up in your commodities list
    FIXED: a colonist that attacks an animal due to hunger will attack it until it is dead, then will butcher it (rather than being non-committal about the whole matter)
    FIXED: unclear status of longpork ownership after people are butchered
    FIXED: missing memory case for when Fishy individual is attacked by Fishpeople
    FIXED: buildings menu category button could occasionally get stuck in the "on" position
    FIXED: people making friends or rivals with themselves
    FIXED: people making friends or rivals with the same person multiple times
    FIXED: tooltips break for characters after they change class and get stuck (incorrectly!) on the same job

2. Oh god, finally, my buildings thank you.

3. wargarurumon

wargarurumon Member

that was what caused my buildings to explode?

finally fixed THANK YOU

4. Unforked

Unforked Member

Wow, that's a lot of content in a single update!

5. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Did the fix for the single outcome to looking into genealogy/heritage make it into the build?

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Noticing some occurrences of loading bay doors being constructed without the section of the wall being removed, plus parts of walls missing from the building even without moving any modules after their blueprints were first placed.

[​IMG]

The loading bay door on the other side built fine

[​IMG]

Carpentry workshop module layout

[​IMG]

Module placement order when in blueprint state:

The various doors, first.
    Carpentry Workbenches, second.
    Standing desks last.

Attached Files:

7. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Also just noticed a tooltip bug for module blueprints after loading a save (New save of a colony started since 43A).

After loading the save I noticed all my pre-existing module blueprints that had no resources brought to the order yet didn't display any tooltip when I moved the cursor over them.

As soon as a colonist brought at least 1 resource to the blueprint the tooltip then displayed again to show required materials.

Edit:

What's with the new yellow overseer exclusive progress bar for job progress by the way? When a overseer assigned to a workshop (Artisans I guess they're now called) starts a job in the workshop their progress bar is larger and coloured differently to a workers progress bar.

Does this have any actual significance or deeper meaning? As I'm only noticing this change being applied to workshop jobs, not general jobs like construction, mining, farming etc.

Or is it just a "OMG! LOOK! The middle class guy is actually doing worker jobs!!!!ONEONEONE!!!!" indicator?

Example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Since 43A the old problem with colonists not butchering after a hunting order seems to be back. I set a military squad to hunt, and they'll kill things no problem, but they will always leave the body just sat around.

As soon as I manually issue a butcher order they'll immediately respond and butcher the corpse, but unless the order is given they will never do it themselves.

Could it be somehow related to the change in ownership/forbidding things that 'drop' outside of the colony?

Automatic butchering was working fine in the initial Alpha 43 release, so seems to be a new change that has broken it again.

Edit:

When you rename a colonist, the game retains the old names for things like handling events which can make things very confusing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  9. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

If a fox starts attacking an aurochs, the aurochs becomes hostile to my people even though I didn't do anything. This just caused an aurochs to kill one of my colonists for no reason.

10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Shouldn't that have triggered the "Anything that attacks a colonist instantly gets flagged as hostile" rule added recently?

11. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

It might have. I toggled everyone to be able to hunt in the hopes that anyone would try to kill the aurochs, but they all got stuck in a loop of grabbing a gun, then running away in fear.

12. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

The additional tooltip everywhere are great. I'm currently fooling around with the barbershop, and I noticed some minor texture-related issues:

The interior wood panelling is inconsistent - it looks like the texture on the wall with the door, is misaligned, or the other walls are flipped:

interior.jpg

The barber uniform appears in both the Work Crew and Colonist info portraits, glowing white:

clothing.jpg

On a minor note, the barber clothing in-game (you can see my barber sleeping on the ground) is really shiny. That seems weird.

13. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

A bandit died and their gun and stolen goods he was carrying is stuck floating in the air.

14. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

The texture offset mismatch happens in every building. Kitchen, Carpentry, Ceramics... they all have mismatched texture offsetting between the width and the length walls on all sides.

You tend to not notice it so much if you build square/rectangular buildings with just 4 walls, but as soon as you start doing more complex designs where the wall is changing direction more frequently it sticks out like a sore thumb. If you check my previous screenshots for other bugs in this thread you'll see various examples in those showing interiors.

I think it's simply a case that the textures are being mapped to the wall UVs with slightly different offsets on walls going length wise than they are width wise (or vice versa, which ever one is meant to be the correct mapping)

Edit: A few things with building walls have been broken since around 42E/43 or so. I'm noticing a frequent occurrence of things like single wall tiles missing, doors and windows not carving holes in the wall as they should do leading to doors and windows that open up into walls and so forth.

Figured the whole thing was being revised and a better approach was being implemented and so in the mean time various things got broken. As it doesn't seem to impact colonist path finding and they recognise it was non-solid even if it visually appears to be a solid wall, it wasn't really a big deal.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  15. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Also, ever since the lighting changes I've noticed the facial/body textures on a lot of colonists with darker skin tones are extremely hard to make out. For a good while I actually thought there was a rendering bug and the textures weren't even being applied until I tweaked my monitor contrast a bit and could see actual facial detail if I really looked hard.

Reusing a screenshot from another bug post to give an example:

[​IMG]

This is one of the 'Not so bad' colonists. Other colonists with darker skin tones are next to impossible to make out their facial features from the colonist information window, and in the game world itself absolutely pointless to even try making out anything, which gives the impression that my colony is inhabited by Lord Anubis clones especially with colonists with dark hair as well, it just blends together to look like a non-detailed shape (See Solomon McDonald farming just behind the info window).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  16. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Neat event lol.

Attached Files:

17. Samut

Samut Member

I can't speak to Gaslamp's current code, but when futzing around with stuff last year to make giant beetles fight back when attacked, that's actually the behavior I was looking for - injured animals freak out and attack whatever's closest.

18. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Well, in my case, the fox that was attacking the aurochs would have been the closest. They just happened to get too close to my colonist, and the aurochs attacked him.

19. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I believe so, yes.

This is actually part of a set where the progress bar is supposed to get fancier the better you are at a skill. I don't think anyone actually implemented that system yet though, so... I guess a bug made it appear? We've got a ticket to make it work properly, this will be fixed as part of it.

20. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

gaaaaaaah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.