ALPHA 43: THE TERRIBLE TRUTH NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

2. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Lies! There's no way Vicars could be any more exciting then they already are! Screenshots supported by piecharts as proof or GTFO!

3. mrclint

mrclint Member

Woho!
    Loved it when my insane vicar preached a while back.
    He looked really cool.

4. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

It would be cool if there was a way to make someone a Vicar ourselves.

What better way to shape the hearts and minds of our colonists to steer them onto our desired path then to be able to proclaim someone as our spokesperson to brainwash the masses?

If that means we decide the correct path is to kill your neighbour, chop them into cubes, offer them to Fishpeople in trade for diving helmets and then declaring Mondays as "Holy Divers Monday" where diving helmets and non-subtle ripoffs of metal ballads are mandatory and failure to provide both punishable by death.... then we should totally have the ability to put the craziest fucker in the colony in charge of spiritual matters.

5. Nicholas

Any overseer appointed to a church immediately becomes a vicar. (There is also another way to get a vicar, but we'll let that be a surprise.)

6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

OMG! Mind == Blown!

BE READY FOR HOLY DIVER MONDAYS AND NAMING YOUR FIRST BORNS FIO COLONISTS!

Now, if only we could specify a new colony anthem.

In older builds I'd actually received Vicars from certain events, hence why I always figured that was the only way.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  7. Alianin

Alianin Member

I miss some of the granular control over the kitchen and what gets cooked. Can a way to exclude certain food types be added? Wheat is used in the Kitchen and is also used in the Brewery. With the new simplified menu in the Kitchen, the wheat is lumped into the "Cook Basic Food" category and gets used up when I'd rather save that for booze.

8. Unforked

Unforked Member

I really need to test out this insane vicar thing. First goal: Get a vicar with fishy behavior near some fish people.

Edit: May be mentioned already, but I noticed the friendship desire icon never gets greyed out despite fulfilling the desire. Other desires seem to work fine.

9. Alianin

Alianin Member

Should existing Overseers in the Work Crew show their best skill? Seems to only work for new Overseers, not existing ones that improve their skills.

10. Trifler

Trifler Member

From the Dev Blog:
    "If I were to sum up this month's work, it would be that we worked on addressing the question of how a player queries the state of a character then how the player makes decisions which affect that state. (You like that sentence? Chris said it needs another comma, but I told him No!)"

Chris was absolutely right. There should be a comma after the word "character".

Thus:
    "If I were to sum up this month's work, it would be that we worked on addressing the question of how a player queries the state of a character, then how the player makes decisions which affect that state."

Now I'm off to check out the update. :)

11. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

12. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Did anything significant change from 42E?

13. Wolg

Wolg Member

A cursory scan of the changelog suggests the answer to that is "cults & madness in general and insane vicars specifically".

14. Wolg

Wolg Member

• Drag-select Hunt orders still stick in the job list after the animal is shot down.
    • ...Please make alerts for mineral surveys zoom to the beacon, not the naturalist (who has almost certainly walked a fair distance away from the site by the time the alert is clicked).
    Looking good so far... Just out of curiosity, are the four memories shown in the UI the only ones that affect colonists now, or are they just the four most powerful? (I do miss the older 8+ memory lists, at least for the middle/upper classes.)

Samut likes this.
  15. Samut

Samut Member

Yes, we need to see more memories. Bigger windows, scroll bars, whatever it takes.

WRT cults, I had someone trying to start them day 1 after they found a black Pyramid and went wiggy. They didn't find any takers but I liked their moxie.

16. Unforked

Unforked Member

Hmm, I'm finding it much harder to start cults in this build. I've got artifacts found, fishy-traited colonists properly introduced to fish people--hunger and madness everywhere. At 30 colonists now, and only one person has tried to start a cult and was refused--never to try again.

17. Nicholas

The probabilities for cult conversation and cult formation likely need to be bumped upwards. We noticed this during testing but didn't want to swing it too far the other way for a public release (which probably means that the pendulum will shift in the wrong, cult-y direction again during the next experimental.)

Unforked likes this.
  18. Unforked

Unforked Member

I'll look forward to that. The cult-ier the better for me personally, since it makes things so much more interesting... plus those who don't like them can always use various anti-cult measures.

19. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Oh yeah, good call! We'll likely separate bread out from the basic food button since wheat has more than one interesting choice.

20. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Yeah, 4 is too few, so i'm working on that. I'm also working on more intuitive ways to read them. Really important stuff will probably start to flesh out their text paragraphs even after the memories have stopped affecting their emotional state, but no ETA on that - one step at a time! :D