ALPHA 42A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Alpha 42A is now in the experimental branch! Changelog:

• Stockpile logic adjustment: when a character is free to do a hauling job, they will first check all stockpiles for
      • a) mismatched filter objects, removing them;
      • b) objects in the same stockpile which can be combined into a stack, freeing a square;
      • c) filling any empty square in the stockpile with an object that can fill the square, which does not currently correspond to a stack in the stockpile square
    • added ticker text when militia trains to soldier
    • added "Dissect Obeliskian" job for naturalists
    • added Obeliskian gibs
    • workshop warnings are now zoom independent
    • gabions are now built using assignments
    • work crew display now correctly displays only the # of idle overseers. Idle artisans are moved to their own counter.
    • all farming actions now increase a work crew's farming skill.
    • added additional desires to Colonists
    • vermin will now make a nice "squish" sound when stomped
    • the time it takes to construct a building is now based on its area
    • balance: reduced the time it takes to build modules
    • balance: changed material requirements to lots of modules and buildings
    • added a randomized welcome event for those with the tutorial disabled
    • corpses left to rot will attract vermin
    • overseer immigrants will occasionally have random skills that aren't terrible
    • clear terrain, clear stumps now considered a "construction" job
    • "Call Favour" will fire if you have 2 or more prestige
    • a number of military jobs have been flagged as military jobs so soldiers won't appear idle when training/patroling
    • balance: militia requires more training
    • characters now have a maximum total name length (fixes potential UI overflow)
    • began changes to workcrew naming (this step fixes potential UI overflow)
    • weapons dropped by non-colonist characters outside of town have to be 'claimed' by player before they will be used (aka 'fix to the Dwarf Sock Problem')
    • significant cleanup of object tag code (this might cause some weirdness but we're keeping an eye on it)
    • FIXED: out of bounds iterator in rendExpressionWidget crash
    • FIXED: objects would occasionally correctly highlight themselves, but would not actually let you click on them or select them (or produce a tooltip)
    • FIXED: aborting a Finish Production job, or an assignment with "Finish Production" in it, will no longer cause the module in the production state to be permanently unusable.
    • FIXED: scripterror case in bandit_plunder_major event
    • FIXED: scripterror case in cultist_preach job
    • FIXED: if you build gabions with your military, they won't try to collect more than one gun on their back, creating some kind of Ur-gun
    • FIXED: weird tool handling with surface node mining is now not weird
    • FIXED: aristocrats will no longer attempt to order around sleeping workers
    • FIXED: Militia NCOs that earn Redcoat NCO status while assigned to barracks will correctly transform into an NCO
    • FIXED: unassigning a crew from a barracks will no longer leave the labourers acting like militia
    • FIXED: cults will no longer decide to build two cult shrines in rare cases
    • FIXED: despawned temp characters correctly remove their weapons & drop held commodities
    • FIXED: people no longer get unique memories for killing beetles (just beetles)
    • FIXED: foreign troops leaving map no longer subtract their guns from your weapon count
    • FIXED: epicurean colonists will no longer try to butcher fishpeople to admire their meat
    • FIXED: airship overflights will now travel in the direction they claim to
    • FIXED: containers would forget to go back in a stockpile after being removed from a stockpile
    • FIXED: animal carcasses, when butchered by a player owned character, are now reported as being owned by the player. (Forbidden otherwise.)

KillerKidClever likes this.
  2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(This is still Windows only. Ugh.)

3. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Hopefully that last can be remedied prior to the weekend? :)

berkstin likes this.
  4. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

10 minutes in, and I am liking the new stockpile behavior so far. I started on the starting conditions that give you nothing. I like challenges :)

5. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

lol someone just stacked berries with bricks.

Attached Files:

6. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

How's the stability? I've been a little hesitant to boot up the game since last time I did I got a system crash.

7. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Whoa. Are you on Windows 10?

8. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

Nope.

9. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

10. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

I can only guess that it was a driver related thing or a hardware malfunction; we don't really collect useful crash data if the whole system dies. If it happens again, see if you can get us the system crash data (the steps for getting this vary depending on your OS, but it's usually in computer->manage somewhere. I can't guarantee we'll get anything useful there but if we can and it's our fault and we can tell how we'll fix it.

11. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

Roger. It's Windows 7, FYI.

12. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I think there's a bug when you accept a bandit into your colony, and the game still thinks his hostile presence or whatever is still at his camp.

Sometimes, the colonists go to forage a bandit tend, and run away even though there's no bandits around. This only seems to happen whenever I accept a bandit from that camp into my colony.

dbaumgart likes this.
  13. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

When a naturalist explores a mineral node with no obvious outcrop, the market will sometimes disappear after they figure out hat is under the soil. Makes it very hard to find again unless you saw them dig.

14. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Bricks still stacking in a food only stockpile

15. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Might be some bandit in fog of war perhaps?

I've noticed a few times now that my colonists would run from invisible bandits that eventually turned out to be a bandit standing around in the wild 'Surveying area' or some such in a broken state after a bandit attack. And my colonists were reacting to their presence even though no one had revealed them under fog of war.

So would seem to suggest the bandits 'threat' projection radius is actually further than your colonists ability to see, so you end up with colonist reacting to invisible entities.

16. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I killed them all, as I have the "so and so is no more" message, as well as nothing shows up under the bandit faction menu.

17. Wolg

Wolg Member

Aw. This always amused me.

18. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Watching some of the colonist stockpile behaviour and noticed a little annoyance.

A colonist carrying a stack to the stockpile will generally haul it to the next empty tile in the stockpile rather than consider consolidating the stack they're carrying with another already at the stockpile.

However once the additional stack is dropped off at the stockpile, another check is performed on the stockpile and it's realised they can consolidate stacks together and either the same colonist or a different one then goes through taking each stack out of stockpile to merge into one stack.

Which is just horrendously inefficient and adds quite significant additional load onto hauling.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  19. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Not a fan of the workcrew name changes, the change has completely removed any feeling of individuality behind the various groups.

Much like the workcrew window it feels like there was a existing problem that needed to be addressed and the immediate solution was to take a "Remove it completely and flag as fixed for now" approach to the problem.

But calling all workcrews "<Colonist name> troop/band/lot" just makes everything so generic and bland, so again like some parts of the new workcrew window I hope the change was more of a quicker to roll out measure until a proper solution can be worked on later on down the road.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Unforked and Samut like this.
  20. Wolg

Wolg Member

• Colonists attempt to shoo small beetles rather than squashing them... the beetles ignore the shooing and continue devouring crops unchecked.
    • Nicholas: at first glance, the intra-stockpile consolidation may need to do some sort of locking against other attempts to consolidate. In cases where there are say five objects of the same type and three or more colonists attempting to haul, it's looking like colonists will pick up objects then move them to consolidate them, only another colonist trying to do consolidation has already picked up the destination stack and moved towards a third stack, which a third colonist has just picked up to... (Cue Yakkety Sax as they go round in circles...) They do eventually get things resolved, but it seems to take longer than it should.
    • Suggest adding a check on embark, that the first colonist can path to the second, the second can path to the third, etc. and (possibly?) that the last can path to the first; anybody who can't have a path found to them should be repositioned by teleportation. (My first 42A game started by a lake with sheer walls and dropped an overseer right in the middle of it, dooming her to starvation.)