ALPHA 42A NOW IN EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

So i've talked to you about the work crew changes and nothing about that point has changed. I still suspect, once we start cranking up the relation between character status and behavior, that you'll appreciate the reduction in unnecessary information here.

The work crew name point is new and interesting and is something that we haven't talked about though!

There was one technical reason for the change, and one long-term planned change that paired with it nicely, so we decided to tackle it.

The technical issue is that our random work crew name generator had an unbounded string length, so occasionally it would stretch the window. Even if we just made it bigger to address this, we might run into it again and again as we added strings, so, now that the UI can handle it (somewhat) gracefully regardless, we decided to enforce a policy to fix it: maximum string pixel size (which is, for our sanity, converted approximately into a character length given the typeface and size we're using).

At the same time, we have wanted to implement work crew names as a reward rather than just giving every work crew a random name from the start. This way we can also impart some semblance of game information to the names as well, which is always great.

This is not in 42A, but should be in before 43. Don't worry, we're not stripping out flavor just for fun, we just want to make you work for it a little :)

2. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

The issue with characters locking stacks for returning items to stockpiles is a deep systemic "bug". I am reluctant to even call it a bug because the code that causes this enables a bunch of other fantastic functionality. We'll keep an eye on it and consider ways around it, but I can't guarantee anything.

3. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Some of my early initial impressions of A42A (uh, Alpha 42a):

• I like the snazzy new welcome screen, is that thing procedurally generated?
    • modules do indeed seem to get built slightly faster
    • stacking like object is much more aggressive, I'm finding this is permitting much smaller stockpiles than I'm used to
    • on the same note, it may no longer be useful to separate food / non-food stockpiles, which I've been doing forever
    • new desires - my only NCO wants to be a Scientist, good luck, buddy
    • bandit notification now indicate what current bandit policy is, nice
    • wow, that chapel is much more costly to build (stone AND brick)
    • chilli peppers wither very quickly, and are nearly impossible to harvest - my test case was a tiny 3x3 plot that held only 2 chilli pepper plants, and even then, I was only able to harvest a bushel of chillis once, with a spoilage rate of approximately 90%!
    • bricks are still sneaking into stockpiles designated food only'

4. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Oh, and we fixed another forest meat causing bug. It seems strangely fitting that it's so difficult to get these characters to only use things they own.

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

OH SO THAT'S WHAT THAT IS!

Ahem. Sorry, that was a huge mystery. I know how to solve this! Fixing it now, for 42B!

Rentahamster likes this.
  6. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Love when that happens. The last piece of the puzzle.

7. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

The catharsis is real lol. Glad I could help :)

8. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Hmmm don't recall any mention of the work crew window changes and the reasons behind things like lack of worker assignment control to each workcrew or the removal of display filters, but my memory is kind of iffy so could be I've just forgotten about that discussion. :confused:

I do try to do searches to see if I missed one post or another especially as I only became a regular here a couple of weeks ago, but a search of my previous posts in threads about the workcrew window changes don't show any developer reply

Unless it was posted over on the Steam forum? Which would explain why nothing comes up as searching Steam forums is a giant PITA due to the fact it doesn't even display results chronologically and doesn't believe in combining terms for more accurate search result. :p

But if there is a post somewhere that expands on the workcrew window changes, why the removal of worker assignment was done and other things like filter removal and such. Then apologies, will try and dig a bit more to try find it.

9. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Might be my mistake too, we talked about this a lot internally so I may be thinking of that.

There was a comment in some forum or other that was worried that we were making "robots" out of the lower class, and that's obviously not what people playing our game want (it's a simulation after all!). I'm hoping that responding to that comment will be a good way of discussing other criticisms of the changes, because it touches on most of the important points:

Basically, that the underlying issue stems from our desire to increase the importance of a character's personal experience on their behavior, and this is where the UI design ties very deeply into the game itself.

If we do this for all characters, the weight of chaos in the simulation gets too great and each settlement will swing wildly through various states. This was happening earlier in CE's life, and we had to temporarily fix it by removing the ramifications for these extreme states while we balanced the state space to keep things more level. We now have a reasonably balanced state space where we have dampened the feedback for the random simulation noise and amplified the feedback for things that the player "does wrong". (You may notice that characters who are starving get really, really angry now.) I'm relatively convinced at this point that we're safe to turn some of the "failure state" ramifications back on now, and we will be doing this soon, and this leads back to the UI problem (in a round-about way).

We want character interactions to be important to players: we want to motivate you to keep them happy, entertained, not in cults (or in cults) as you decide. It's just not possible in any way we can think of to make this important to the player without giving you negative consequences if you mess it up and positive ones if you do it well, but we can't do that with a hundred people because most players would just lose track, and then you get angry characters, and then they're all killing each other, which is fun maybe a few times, but not every single game.

So we need to make failing to provide for the needs of the lower class less important in order to reinforce a smaller "cast of characters" that you can manage, which we actually did some patches before the UI overhaul. Lower class characters are (currently) less happy, less sad, less angry, less afraid than middle class characters by design. They can still get into states which we'd call "failure states" if you really abuse them, but in practically every case the middle class characters will be stronger indications of the player failure earlier on than the lower class. (You could think of them as canaries for the coal mine that is the mental state of your settlement). This has been part of our private and public design discussions for probably 2 or 3 years now.

So we removed some emphasis on the lower class from the UI, because whether they're happy is actually less important than whether the middle class characters are. After all, typically our failure states will be "tantrum spiral" like in nature, starting from one very upset or maddened or afraid character, and this will practically always be a middle class character.

The majority of the changes to the window were to remove emphasis from information which isn't actually important, but was made to seem important by the UI. One thing we're still not doing a good job of yet is satirizing the lowered importance of lower class characters, which we're currently discussing internally.

Tikigod likes this.
  10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

@Daniel Thanks for that very detailed reply, it's answered a lot of speculative questions about the future role for the lower class and middle class and helps gauge what to expect from future expansion of those roles.

In light of the intentions from a design stand point, it would seem that even the manual assignment of workers from a pool may itself be rather counter productive for establishing the desired impressions on colonists roles in the grand scheme of things, as it suggests that part of the players role should entail some degree of focus on managing workers into different groups on a individual level where as this doesn't seem to be the case.

Just tossing a bare bones idea that may be totally aiming in the wrong direction of what you guys may have in mind but, some kind of emergent behaviour for worker assignment based on colony policy decisions in relation to overseer conduct may actually play into things better. So based on a overseers status within the colony they get more or less of the available manpower available to them.

If you were to make it colony policy to discourage cult behaviour, any overseer who then decides to go against that policy and forms a cult is considered lower in status and their assignment of 'workers of proper standing' is reduced, so workers with traits deemed more reflective of being a upstanding citizen get assigned to other workcrews not run by a cultist.

This then leaves the cultist led workcrew with the lower dredges of the work force as such having higher chance to end up with workers with less desirable traits.

With the opposite being equally true, if you make decisions and establish policies that lean more toward ideas such as independent anti-empire rule, then overseers that are patriotic or otherwise have tendencies that lean toward pro-empire dealings end up in lower standing, and the qualities that represent a "Model citizen" for worker allocation is shifted respectively.

Yes it would appear on the surface to remove a significant part of 'micromanagement control' compared to current where you can still flag a crew to focus just on farming and flood them with all the early colony workers.

But if there are decisions introduced that serve to contribute to some notion of colony interests (farming vs production vs trade vs stability vs growth and so forth). Then the end result would be a series of behaviours and interactions that more truly reflect the formation of a society that is reacting to the players will be it positively or negatively opposed, and then how those reactions breed further reactions in a ever more complex web. Whilst still allowing the player the avenues to react and try to balance out undesirable behaviour.

End result would be you get something that simulates to some degree a society that has variable views on what are positive and negative qualities based to some degree on player assigned rules. Those middle class colonists deemed to have positive attributes raise up in society and find themselves generally more happy and well treated, and workers with positively regarded traits end up in improved work environments.

Those deemed to have negative attributes drop to the lower levels in society and find themselves more depressed and mistreated, feeling oppressed because who they are and for their ideologies and more likely to end up working alongside those that feel similar.

Workers end up being less a focus unit for management, but rather a influencing force that factors into overseer behaviour and contributes to their tipping points.

If you make decisions that lean towards pro-empire feelings and 7 of your 8 overseers can be equated to have some degree of pro-empire traits (or rather they are not directly identifiable as having anti-empire traits), then you end up with 1 pissed off overseer who is downcast in society and 7 happier overseers who get a larger share of the pie.

But if you then accept bandits, or receive colonists with anti-empire leaning traits, they will be naturally be regarded as more undesirable and have a much higher chance of ending up with that single downcast overseer, giving them a more significant presence in your colony and escalating the chance of them being a significant problem factor if they do kick off as that action will chain react to their workers... the boss is like us and is kicking off, we're being mistreated too... riot spirial!

So as the player do you stick to your policies and hope that group of undesirables can be contained? Or do you react, change policies and try to reach a more compromising stand point at the risk of your other colonists then getting angrier when the perks of being higher status is removed?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  11. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Tried reassigning new overseers with specific traits to their respective workhouses. However, the overseer they replace then just goes idle with the current job in the workgroup dropdown shown as their prior task. In their own profile it says idle. No amount of prompting makes them do anything.

12. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Got a bunch of colonists stuck in a loop at my food stockpile. It might have something to do with the backlog of burial duties that aren't being fulfilled for some reason. When I hovered my mouse over some of the stuck colonists, their job actions seemed to loop quickly between hauling and burying, and they kept changing tools.

Attached Files:

13. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Here's a saved game from Alpha 42a. Jungle Biome, 19 days, 31 colonists. Windows 10. On the off chance you need something for analysis. I noticed no bugs in that time, but there was one odd thing - selecting sites where I was quarrying stone, sometime they're named 'The Old Joinery', and sometimes they have no name, weird

I don't know exactly how long this session was, but it was over an hour, at least.

shot019.jpg

Generally speaking, farming has become more labour-intensive, which means more workers are required to farm successfully, which means the colony feels like it's growing more slowly as a whole, compared to previous versions.

Attached Files:

14. Olek

Olek Member

As far as the plebs being unhappy, having a mechanic that lowered unrest by "X" amount of points per soldier in the settlement would have been a good way to counteract the disintegration of the colony because of unhappiness.

Calling in a squad of soldiers via the prestige option could have been a temporary fix for unrest, giving the player a few days to set things right.
    Let's face it, the soldiers would not only be there to protect the colony, but to maintain order.

15. Kiojan

Kiojan Member

Welp, it happened again. Fifteen to twenty minutes into the game my computer crashed. Didn't even get a CE dmp file this time around. After it happened I immediately updated my video card driver but I'm not ready to risk another crash to see if it worked. In point of fact, I played Cities: Skyline for hours prior to updating it so it seems like the problem is indeed how CE interacts with my system.

If you want me to provide you with a system crash log, walk me through obtaining the relevant files and I'll be happy to oblige.

In any case, I think I'll be taking a long break from Clockwork Empires now.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  16. Wolg

Wolg Member

One scenario worth checking: had an overseer pick up a module construction job. She went to grab some planks, but another colonist moved the stack she was going to... then she picked up a plank from empty ground.

(I suspect this is actually behaving correctly, in terms of not conjuring resources out of thin air, but I didn't see what the plank stacks' counts were when it happened.)
    I think I fixed this locally by modifying the "Shoo Animal Away" job (jobs.xml line 4675), setting the not_tag attribute on require_gameobject to "corpse,vermin".

Samut likes this.
  17. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Wow, building large buildings takes a long time.

18. Samut

Samut Member

This would probably be a good time to start letting multiple people in a work crew assemble a building, instead of just one person. It would look better, too.

It's been a while since I looked at the scripts for buildings, but IIRC it works on a timer system. If that were changed to a numerical score goal they have to reach, and the work added to the score over time, it would be relatively simple to write an assisting job that would let the other people in the work crew also add points to the score.

19. Wolg

Wolg Member

• Are favour-granted temporary colonists supposed to count towards the population-based reward thresholds?
    • Contrary to the icons in the workshop panel, colonists in temperate can use maize to brew beer.
    • Got "expected type string for parameter 2 sending system message odinRendererCharacterForceDropItemMessage", around the time a convict crew departed. (Unfortunately I forgot and relaunched the game before preserving the console, ack.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    • bandits that attempt desertion, but you turn them down, can sometimes make their way into your range and be killed, but the bodies aren't buryable.
    • some building materials aren't cleared (visual only?) when a building or module is completed.
    • there are times when several individuals have "return goods to stockpile" but stand in place and they continue work only after a module is completed (stockpile locking?).