ALPHA 42 NOW RELEASED ON STEAM

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lochar

Lochar Member

Started a new game, so far so good, aside from the wasted hauling that I think Nicholas already has a ticket for not seeing any glaring issues, only on day 8.

But so far with day 8 and kitchen being built on maybe day 2-3, both stoves have went into breakdown already, is this counted by x amount of uses?

I know there are random things at work here, but lol can you cut a break for the first week to get settled? First I get foreign troops on day 3, thank god they were neutral. First laborer pool I get 1 labor and 1 uselesscrat, 2nd time I spent my prestige to get 4, but next go around get just 1 again. I am surviving but man lol 1 bandit raid with 1-2 losses and gonna be hurting.

Also cots.... My folks slept every 2 nights and seemed to skip the 3rd and just stayed up, but as soon as those damn cots gets started the sleep schedule goes freakin haywire. they now refuse to sleep unless its on a cot, so first 7 sleep , rest stand around , come daylight, soon as the first seven get up the next go to sleep. This puts a hamper in my fledgeling start up and if my farmer goes to sleep then I have to go thru workforce and toggle farming on for another and start moving people around to cover, or kitchen staff.

I hope hauling goods gets a priority list in the future, hunting and foraging further afield kills my kitchen staff especially when seems food gets hauled last for some reason, so they go collecting it themselves way out yonder.

Does the assigned barracks troops have to have all jobs disabled before training kicks in? I have been using them as backup haulers and hunters but only see my nco do push ups and was wondering if was delaying their training that way?

I like the new combat overlay and the farming icons, very slick. Only other request I would do for farms is allowing to increase plot size without having to start over. small plots are working for me but will need to kill what crops I have if want to make a new field, unless I am missing a way to do it.

Anyways that's all, appreciate the work you guys are putting into this.

2. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

The lesson I take from your story is to never make cots.

3. Lochar

Lochar Member

been thinking the same thing, not sure how bad a morale hit will be in the long run, but might be easier til I have enuf cloth to make enuf beds.

4. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

The characters should work off their, uh, sleep debt (?) at which point cots shouldn't be so crowded. If that's not the case, there's a bug that we need to sort out

In this build it might be better to not build them (though the characters generally be miserable), since we're not giving the characters ways to act out if they're angry with you, but that's going to change soon.

The feedback in here is awesome btw, thanks for taking the time to tell us what you think :)

Regarding lower class characters: yes, the point is to lower the number of characters that a player needs to keep track of. As for the fidelity of the lower class character information, i'm thinking about ways to deal with this that will make it better mechanically without just making the lower class characters into mindless workers.

5. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Put a few hours into R42 now, some points:

1) If Overseer immigration is slowed down, I'm not really feeling it. Day 2 I received a new overseer, then received another about a day later and so on. By the day 7 or 8 I had 11 workcrews (including the military unit). It did feel like it slowed down a little after that, but at the same time I did slow down economy expansion to focus on finding potential mining spots as I had pretty much no surface iron or sulphur nodes even after 2 naturalists explored a hefty chunk of the map.

-------

2) Still noticing some 'fixed' bugs from 41D that were reported as fixed in 41E. Namely the memory of killing unnamed is still about.

-------

3) It could just be that my time with 41E has caused me to adjust to the farming changes, but with R42 I'm swimming in food again.

-------

4) Had a beetle swarm event trigger at night, beetles swarmed my colony whilst everyone slept uninterrupted except for 3 kitchen workers who walked by hauling food and did nothing. All 3 farms got cleaned out. I'm all for things like the beetle swarm events but perhaps either limit it to only occurring during the day or have beetles wake up nearby colonists the moment crops get damaged.

-------

5) 41E/R42 notes mention "balance: cooking food no longer gives you 2-for-1 output.". Strictly speaking this isn't true. Farming produce sourced cooking jobs are now 1-for-1. But things like Steak, Beetle Steak etc are still 2-for-1. Not sure if this is intentional, a oversight or a tooltip display error.

-------

6) I set a rally point for my military unit that had 1 Military NCO and 1 militia. They responded to the rally point but after removing the rally point my NCO keeps dropping their pistol on the ground, wandering off and then running back to pick up their pistol only to drop it on the floor again with their activity being reported as "Rallying".

-------

7) Already covered in another thread but to include it here as well. Even with a proper military NCO, assigning workers to a military unit with a barracks doesn't trigger them to begin training.

-------

8) Built a textiles workshop and assigned a workcrew. Then decided it wasn't quite large enough and broke up the cosmetic flow of my colony, so demolished the workshop with the workcrew still assigned. After building a replacement textile workshop, I noticed that the workcrew assigned to the last one is still regarded as being assigned to a workshop and isn't available for any further assignment.

-------

9) Ordered a nearby Auroch to be hunted. Militia unit fires one shot at it then stops and switches to a 'Go to Sleep' activity. Auroch is enraged and follows militia unit behind headbutting him until he goes indoors to sleep. Auroch then promptly chases colonists around for the next 24 hours whilst military units now outright ignore him. Eventual outcome was the Auroch chased a colonist across the other side of the map.

[​IMG]

------

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  6. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I see a lot of foragers going off to forage, then "returning to civilization" empty handed, only to switch their job to "return goods", walk all the way back to where they were and then proceed to carry stuff back. It is very inefficient, especially over long distances.

Would you guys be able to put in a little thing that says if a colonists gets a "return to civilization" call, and is not in danger, and has some open item very close, to pick it up and drop it off at the stockpile since he's going that way anyway?

Samut likes this.
  7. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Bandit sitting just in the shadows at night firing on troops who milled around, walking into and out of range until they died.

8. Andouce

Andouce Member

Agree with the overseer immigration. As I have said previously, Ideally you want a couple of overseers eg say it was 6 or 8. But you want them partially occupied so having like half full. That "leadership" event mission thing reward, is too frequent I feel.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(Small hotfix snuck in for broken barracks, natch.)

Andouce likes this.
  10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I'm still collecting save games with broken and aberrant citizen behaviour, BTW. Send 'em over. Bandits performing diabolical night-firing operations seems pretty much like the sort of thing we'd like to stamp out.

Bluebird likes this.
  11. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Metalworks : will make charcoal but nothing else now. Tried reassigning work groups, deleting outstanding jobs but no joy.

Also, not seen any recruits get better even though they do the odd pressups. No redcoats appear and up to 50 colonists.

Attached Files:

12. razrien

razrien Member

Not sure if you guys are still collecting console.txt files, but heres one for a couple hours' worth of play.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9heSf3emdD2d3ZucU5CUWF6emM/view?usp=sharing

Also I think i'm finally getting the hang of this new food chain.
    Someone above me mentioned pumpkins, and that seems to be the new hotness for starting crops.
    Pumpkins are the new cabbages, and cabbages.. I still haven't figured out how to grow them without the crop spoiling. They grow faaar too quickly now. (which itself wouldn't be an issue if the farmers themselves worked faster, but the cabbages are literally growing faster than the workers can tend to them)

Also for the first time i've actually had to make dedicated farming crews that do nothing 'but' farming, since all crops seem to decay a bit more quickly if you don't keep an eye on them.
    Theres a bit of a learning curve to farming now. I like it.

Everything else seems to be working out fairly well so far.

13. Samut

Samut Member

Not sure if this functionality is duplicated elsewhere, but in citizen.go (where a lot of job choosing seems to have been offloaded from jobs.xml), line 244 (which performs a check for soldiers to see if there are enemies 16 squares away) is commented out. A lot of their response tree seems to depend on that check. Or maybe this is as intended. Who knows.

14. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I've submitted a bug report for a metalworks work stoppage in the bug subforum, here.

15. Lochar

Lochar Member

For some reason, meat doesn't get collected. I even put my militia to hauling and pretty much all is stockpiled but have meat scattered to the four corners of the earth.

Also minor issue but got tired of tearing down altar and dang cult was growing so slipped a little frontier justice on leader and got message that she died as leader and X replaced her. Well X doesn't exist in my colony unless its some bandit somewhere, went thru whole list and that person isn't named and all I show now are minions of it. I would do a full cleansing but 3 of them are overseers so things are running a little tight right now, the leader was an Aristocrat and figured could do without. :)

Oh and a pistol somehow disappearing, started game with 5 and looted a musket now down to 4. Can send bug if any of these are new issues. I do notice the NCO keeps putting his down on occasion and picking back up. Dunno if 1 time it poofed.

Oh and last thing, only at roughly 30 citizens but the overseer immigration seems to have slow down, had to remove some from production or nothing would get built. Of course 4 are tied up with farming.Could reduce that if just do 1 staple crop and bigger field I guess....

16. Olek

Olek Member

The meat collection issue was around in the 41 build, they don't touch it unless you place it on the kitchen menu, then the kitchen workers go and get it, really slows down production when they walk so far to pick it up.

17. Wolg

Wolg Member

I have to double check my savegame from today, but it looks like forest meat may still be a thing... :(

18. Blyn

Blyn Member

What would be the downside of having immigration be on-demand?

As in, ordering a bunch of folks from the empire as needed?

19. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

There's a (kind of) work around for this, group select meat and forbid it. Then group select it again and claim it.

After which my colonists will sometimes eventually get around to hauling raw food gathered from butchering back to the stockpile.

If the forbid -> Claim steps aren't done then my colonists seem to just outright ignore butchered goods except as resources for jobs to collect as needed. But when doing those two steps colonists will at the very least always go and stack all the goods up nicely in the wild and wander off again.

I think something may be slightly broken with goods created from butchering outside of civilisation that means it's not getting properly flagged as owned so you need to forbid and reclaim it to properly flag it as owned.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  20. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

It removes part of the challenge...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.