ALPHA 42 NOW RELEASED ON STEAM

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

2. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I know I have whined about this before (and wholly own the fact that I am whining), but can we get a list of what changed between 41E and 42?

Turbo164 likes this.
  3. Mikel

I am guessing there is no Apple store in your vicinity. :)

4. Nicholas

Between 41E and 42? Right. Uh.

• FIXED: work crews will occasionally reset all their filters
    • FIXED: if an object is deleted, don't let it be used for a job (this should never happen anyway, but did in a save game we received so we're handling it correctly now)
    • FIXED: repairing a module had a lower utility than anything else in the game; this is now fixed
    • FIXED: workshop could be broken by cancelling an assignment
    • FIXED: random crash deleting assignment
    • FIXED: some other crash bug thing that happened this morning
    • Exciting new little combat tickers will appear when a character enters combat!
    • balance: slowed down middle class immigration
    • balance: lower class class immigration will give even fewer aristocrats (yes, we realize the absurdity of this statement)
    • updated crop descriptions to reflect balance changes
    • FIXED: miners won't return to stockpiles to drop their imaginary shovel/pickaxe (this will be more thoroughly fixed post 42)
    • FIXED: Aristocrats will never get "no workcrew" alert
    • FIXED: airship flyer event no longer fails due to thinking north is south

Turbo164 likes this.
  5. Nicholas

And yes, our Mac build machine is so old they don't have the correct parts any more in Vancouver, and we are waiting on parts from Calgary. (We did take it to the Apple store.)

6. Mikel

I really appreciate the breakout of this information.

7. Andouce

Andouce Member

Jolly good! :D

8. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Nice to see the difference between 41E and R42.

Though I notice the bandit script error isn't mentioned a 2nd time around, as whilst it was reported as being fixed for 41E it has been posted by a few people to still be occurring in 41E. Does that mean there's still a chance of it happening in R42?

9. berkstin

berkstin Member

Dammit!!! Next time put "but not for you OSX suckers" in the headline please.:)

10. Mikel

Macs seem to last for a scary long time, which makes it all the more disconcerting when they stop.

11. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

btw, slowed down overseer immigration? Initial reaction to reading that is wondering why exactly overseer immigration was slowed down when the problem seemed to more be worker immigration pacing rates were too slow, whilst overseer immigration seemed paced just right for a steady growing colony to keep industry ticking over and be ready for threats by the time they're most likely to trigger.

Will give the slower pace a shot and try to not be too biased against it, but if overseer immigration pacing was slowed down with no other changes feeding off of that, then I can see keeping a colony going being rather problematic now unless the reduction is very marginal and really not that noticeable.

12. Mikel

There is a grand tradition in game development where positive user feedback is seen as a sign that something is too easy. :)

13. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Well in 41E for me it was pretty much hanging on the knife edge of survival praying that you didn't get attacked by anything larger than 3 bandits. With losing a overseer having the consequence of really halting the flow of your colony. Which I'd consider just about right, not too easy, not too hard.

With slower overseer arrivals I'd expect it to make the mandatory pacing you need to get to the point of firearms production in order to have anything but a token gesture defence much more of a crapshoot experience driven mostly by pure luck.

But we'll see how it goes later this evening.

14. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

There are more considerations here than difficulty. We're looking at other ways to manage this pacing in a more intuitive way, and at the same time we're setting a pace that we're going to be using as the backbone of the game to which we'll add other choices that'll keep it interesting and varied. I suspect that character behaviors and events will play a larger role in that early stage where players have made all the early-game choices than they do now.

Edit: (in the short term it might be harder)

15. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Ah, this is good to know long side the change.

Such things always cause a little voice in the back of the mind going "Is this a change for something completely unmentioned currently?" but it's kind of hard to tell for sure what the larger picture may be without raising the initial concern and getting a response. :)

16. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I like hard, but I'm masochistic like that.

17. At the moment I'm going with stalwart supply every embark and drafting my first three colonists into the squad. I've repelled every Foreign Assault since to the point where I just don't bother with the others.

18. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Are you gonna re-enable the ability to unassign laborers from a work crew via right click? That was very handy when trying to take out the brutish and criminal laborers from civilian jobs and putting them into military jobs.

19. razrien

razrien Member

Anyone else having a difficult time keeping everyone fed?

Even with a stream of cabbages going to the kitchen (half of which rot before the crew can tend to them, i'm still trying to figure out an optimum size plot for each crop) they're eating all the raw food before it can even get cooked.

The time to make a kitchen is still the same, but Its like everyone starts out completely starving.

[edit] An additional thought.. i've been using 21's a crowd. I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

20. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Try multiple small farms as your needs require more food, rather than one big farm.

Not tried R42 yet, but with 41E which had the first public iteration of the new farming system Pumpkins were the ideal early colony crop.

Also, there were some ninja changes to kitchens so you may now need multiple kitchens in your colony once you each certain population sizes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.