Age of Wonders 3

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Godwin, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Godwin

Godwin Member

Hi, yes, it's only for multiplayer.
    Since we released on GoG as well and in order to not split up the community (lots of people remember each other from the first games) this was really the only sensible option for us.
    It's basically the same as this forum: you make an account here, since it's a separate forum and it isn't steam. DoD also sold outside of steam, so you have to have a place for your community to meet, a sort of neutral ground.
    For us this is even more important since we want people to multiplay together and easily share maps etc.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

That's fair enough.

Also, Godwin, the character creation thing has a hell of a lot of clipping issues with poses, hair, accessories, etc.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Grats on the release Godwin!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Godwin

Godwin Member

Thanks Daynab! :)

Loerwyn, we'll be fixing a lot of stuff in the coming weeks. Our forums are pretty busy, and we're gathering feedback from steam, GoG and other forums too. That said, it would be useful if you have screenshots of the clipping :p, but yeah, we'll try to find the issues ourselves as well of course, we really want this game to be the best it can be.
    The beards being a bit see-through in some cases is already on our caselist ^^

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    The Apprentice and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I completed the first campaign mission and enjoyed it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. A diversion- Wherin App demonstrates his loathing for forced account creation...

I don't want to divert the thread to a gaming history discussion, but I cannot recall the last time I have been greeted with a "create an account to play!" in a non-EA or Ubi game. Since most companies do not want to be compared to those two, I would disagree that "gaming company norms" applies here.

Good to know. Since I didn't create an account, seeing "Welcome Guest" in the main screen made me wonder if there was meta-content only accessible if you created an account. (Again- like Uplay.)

A pop-up screen with "Please create an account to get these cool benefits (xyz). SP is not affected by creating an account." or something similar would have clarified it for me in game.

(A friend said the status-quo was fine, it was only like .01% of the playerbase that finds account creation irritating. If that is truly the statistic, then I'll go sit on my proverbial porch and shake my cane at what the kids are doing these days. Pop-Quiz! Do people think I am that much in the minority on this?)

Returning to the praise and joy portion, wherein AoW3's release is lauded...

What classes are people choosing for their factions? If I want to play a builder with elite (not fodder) troop types, what should I look into?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Damn ittttttttttttttttttttt, I lost progress after beating the first campaign mission. I'm stuck with either starting a new campaign or having to redo the final fight.

Edit: Here's a tip, people. If you finish a campaign map, start the next one and SAVE before exiting, otherwise you'll lose progress because there's seemingly no way to get back to the campaign map.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yeah that's one of the things that will be fixed soon, there will be a uniquely named autosave created right after winning, among other things.
    Sorry about that ^^

EDIT: Hey!! I was thinking, in the back of my mind, why are you looking so familiar? LOL I only consciously see it now :D
    Nice avatar ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No, it's okay. I got it sorted in the end, and I'll just need to be more careful in future.

My Twitter one is even better. Someone very sensible is in your studio - they didn't pack up the painted backgrounds into a file, instead they're uncompressed 2.5k x 1.6k(ish) BMPs. I was rather glad for that discovery.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yes... it's really nice, but not in the first 3 hours after launch when your website servers buckle under the stress of thousands of people trying to download those nice high-res pictures (aka, open the website) with there not-quite-inconsequential filesize :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Don't know why they'd need to do that, they're in the game's directory :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

I've found an item named "the creativity of Baumgart" or something like this.

Maybe it's related to Gaslamp's David Baumgart ? :p

edit : that was the Imaginative Rod of Baumgart actually :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Godwin, OmniaNigrum and dbaumgart like this.
  13. I'd also be interested to know if there is a relation. ;)

On a related note: TB did a WTF is of the game. (Finally.)

He "loves it."

Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. Daynab

I've been playing and really enjoying it! It has tons of depth and the gameplay feels awesome.

One minor thing bugs me though, why isn't there any display for units that have used up their action points, or which ones are fresh? It really helps to see the battlefield at a glance especially when there's multiple armies together. Unless I'm missing something? It's a strategy game convention.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Godwin

Godwin Member

Glad you like it! :) We'll continue to fine-tune and improve it, we've released a beta patch that addresses some critical stuff and tweaks the later research costs, trying it out myself this weekend, looking good so far :)

To answer your question: The unit flags are darker when the units have used up all action points.
    It's not obvious enough, clearly ^^

Kamisma and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. Daynab

Oh! Yeah, I hadn't noticed that, haha. Thanks!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

A bit like the tiny health bar flag, it's a nice idea, but barely visible.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Godwin

Godwin Member

Well the health is displayed before you do anything to a unit in the preview, so it's easy to see what will happen.
    Heard it mentioned before indeed. Personally I have no problems seeing it.. maybe I play on a bigger screen :p, but I'll forward the feedback to the UI people. First patches will focus on the critical stuff first, but we'll keep on going after that ^^

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Well i personally don't mind, as you said i use the contextual tooltip when selecting units and attacking and the amount of little guys left in a hex, but it's only after playing 30 hours or so while zooming very closely to a unit that i noticed there was a healthbar hidden under the flag.

I think overall the UI is good on strategic mode, but on tactical mode, i think it can sometimes be hard to have a good grasp of the situation at a glance.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Godwin

Godwin Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.