Advice for my Unarmed Warlock

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Grey, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

In my experience, tank characters don't care much about :armor_asorb:. They only care about :block:. Getting 100 block essentially quadruples your :armor_asorb:.

For mage characters or other folks with low overall defense stats :)block:, :dodge:, :counter:) Higher :armor_asorb: is more important.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

He probably isn't going to be able to get much :block: without hurting his :magic_power:. I wouldn't worry too much about :armor_asorb: because you aren't really going to be able to tank anyway. The other defense stats are really important and you need to either throw on heavy heavy armor which kills your casting stats or you take the skills that boost them. Besides, you can just use nerve staple, equip 2x tomes, and go to town.

My advice would be to drop the shields for tomes or orbs and put your next skill point into psionics. Use whatever gear lets you spam nerve staple on anything that might cause you trouble. You might have to equip two orbs for a bit and then swap them out for tomes later as you get more :savvy: and :mana_regen:. Nerve staple is the key. It gives you two free melee attacks against a paralyzed enemy.

3. Grey

Grey Member

Nerve staple from a certain bolt didn't seem reliable to me. I've been happy to just crash my magic stats in favour of defence, and this has worked out well so far (tanked through a level 9 zoo, tanking through most of level 10 at the mo). Also I've got 2 mirror shields now (well, 1 mirror, 1 dark mirror), which are situationally very useful together. I've not found any good orbs yet, and only one good tome (the thaumite one).

4. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Unless something has been changed, and it very well may have, nerve staple is an unresistable 2 turn paralyze. So if you use nerve staple you can hit an enemy in melee 2x without getting hit back or counter attacked. It's very useful for standing in melee as it allows you to attack without fear as long as you have the mana to cast it.

If you are happy crashing your :magic_power: with clockwork/serpentine armor that's a perfectly viable way to go as well. You can hit 100 :block: pretty quickly but your :magic_power: will be 0 so no more pussiant touch.

It's all about personal preference there is no real right way. My preference would be for the glass cannon route given your skill set. You could build for some nice damage numbers. I don't like the unarmed + heavy armor path just because the damage output is pretty meager. It hurts not getting a high end chest of evil weapon to smack things with on the last few levels. Things start having a lot of hp towards the end.

5. Grey

Grey Member

My damage has been okay - supplemented by some good artifacts, and lots of boosts to melee power. And my tanking ability has just been massively improved by some Diggle God of Death blessing! I think it's bugged though - it has very negative regens attached, but they don't make my health or mana go down. If it is is a bug I'll have to find a way to get rid of it - I don't want what might be my first victory to be down to abuse :/

How my lovely large-lashed lad is looking now:

warlockfist12.png

Melee damage adds up to 82, though obviously is quite spread. Most skills are maxed now, just archaeology and psionics to fill (and blood magic I guess, but I'd prefer to leave it as is). I was very disappointed by Manaclypse when I used it, by the way, but that might be because of how low my magic stat is. Also tried the Arcane Capacitor thing and ended up exploding, but I'm not sure what it really did as I used a potion of purity before the serious repercussions kicked in.

6. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Pretty sure Nerve Staple is resistable.

Negative regeneration does not decrease your health or mana, it merely adds to the default regeneration time.

7. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I swear the last time I beat the game it was psionics/unarmed and I never had the paralyze resisted. Granted, I don't think it works against dredmor himself anymore. I'm pretty sure that was the last expansion cycle that I did that.

Anywho, good job on the progress. If I remember correctly you are either on DL 13 or 14. Just make sure to approach dredmor with caution and don't try to melee him.

8. Grey

Grey Member

I DID IT! Wahoo :D Had a 200 monster split zoo on level 15, ploughed through it and then in the next room... Mr Dredmor himself! I put 2 mirror shields on and started shooting everything at him. Got a bit worried when mass destruction didn't seem to make much difference :/ Eventually whittled him down, but he got me to 3 HP so I teleported away to heal. Whilst I was away I suddenly got a message that he died!

Warlock Fist the Adventurer vanquished Lord Dredmor with 3495128 points, on GRPD NTTG. Thanks to everyone for all their help! It's about time I managed to beat this game :)

dredmor-fin.png

Shwqa likes this.