Ability to add Workers from The Workshop screen

Discussion in 'Design Suggestions' started by dtolman, Nov 11, 2016.

1. dtolman

dtolman Member

Right now here is the workflow I follow when I add a module to a Workshop:
    -Go to Module Screen
    -Add Module
    -Go to Workshop - do I have enough workers there?
    +Yes. End here
    +No? Note the name of the Overseer
    -Go to Overseer screen
    -Find Overseer in long scrolling list
    -add worker

Ideally that last half would just go away. Not enough workers? Assign a free worker directly from the WS screen!

I realize that this kind of breaks the Overseer-Worker relationship, and that workers are assigned to a Boss, not a building...
    but c'mon! In the end, I want another worker in THIS workshop which I'm in...right now... then having to go to _another_ UI and scanning through for the right Overseer is not ideal.

Cheshire, Exile and Samut like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Member

Just to add, could there be a button to click on the Overseer attached to a workshop (to open their stats page)?
    I often find myself scrolling through the list to look for the Overseer in charge of the kitchen, etc.

Similarly perhaps there could be an expansion to show Labourers attached to a building too.
    This could at least let us see what jobs they're doing and open their stats page.

E.g.
    Name of Overseer (clickable): Currently making Farmer's Stew
    Name of Labourer (clickable): Currently making Guarapo
    Name of Labourer (clickable): Idle (On-shift)

3. Jagwithtude

Jagwithtude Member

You can already see which labourers are attached to an overseer not a building by clicking on the total pop tab and it shows you who is assigned to whom and what they are doing at the time,
    What I like to do at the beginning of a game even before I do anything is I check out my overseers and what traits they have e.g. someone with good carpentry skills and change his/her name to something like Wendell Woodcock so I know as soon as I build my carpentry workshop and click on assign overseer, I just look for Wendell Woodcock's name, I know that you can see what their skill levels are but sometimes you get 2 overseers that have a wood working skill of 2 but one of them also has a trait that might say that they have a 25% bonus learning cooking so I might want that overseer in my kitchen instead. Changing their names to fit their jobs also helps me when I have to unassign an overseer because they are not needed in their workshop at the moment and when the time comes to assign them back, I know exactly who works where.

Exile likes this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Member

I know, but it becomes a drag when you have 100+ colonists and you have to keep scrolling up and down each time :(

dtolman likes this.
  5. chawpped

chawpped Member

There are some very commonly performed activities that do indeed feel a little clunky to achieve with the current UI. Some of which were named above.

I'm not sure exactly what the answer is, I'm not sure if any of the solutions mentioned above really address all the issues cleanly. But I expect that if someone dedicated some mental cycles to making the UI interactions more streamlined, it could be done.

I'd be a proponent of that update at some point, I think it'd be worth adding to the long list: "Reassess common game play UI interactions and how to possibly streamline them"