A very strange question...

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Haldurson, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've been doing lots of searches on this trying to find a video, but have had no luck so far. Does anyone remember a hilarious television commercial from years ago (maybe from the 1970s or '80s) for a vacuum cleaner? It was banned from television because it was uncomfortably close to a similar Folgers commercial. The Commercial went as follows:

"We've come to this 4 star restaurant and secretly substituted their usual coffee for ground glass and sand." And there were scenes of people spilling their coffee on the ground and you'd see the cleaning staff coming out vacuuming up all the spilled sand and glass. It was kind of a bait and switch because there was a similar Folgers commercial where an announcer with a similar voice would say something like "We've come to this 4 star restaurant and secretly substituted their usual coffee for new Folger's Instant". What's funny is that the first time I saw it was while watching the old Saturday Night Live with friends and we all immediately thought that it was a commercial parody. But it made the news the next day because of the backlash from the Folgers company.

Anyway, I'm trying to find it (can't explain why it's become my latest obsession, but when I try to research something and I have little luck, I sometimes tend to get obsessed with it).

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

BTW, here's one of the Folger's commecials that was being immitated:

OmniaNigrum likes this.