A thing in Roguish Renovation that angers me...

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Arron Syaoran, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

This thread is to be deleted.

Final thoughts: Although mining and lccorp made good points towards my close minded ness. We are entitled to our own opinions. It is okay for others to not believe in faeries, and if they do, they will never find one. I DO believe in faeries, and I do believe they are real. I also believe that any work of fiction created by the human mind gains an actual, real existence in another place and time, away from our dimension of planet earth. People may disagree, and I accept that. But when factoring the entire universe(or multiverse), I believe that everything exists, and everything either was, is, or will be real at some point, somewhere.

If anyone thinks that I am living a lie, then I think they're the ones who need help. I live my life on planet earth knowing that anything deemed 'fictitious' is currently out of my reach in my current life on earth. That said, judging by the true definition of 'fiction', I believe that there's no such thing as fiction, for everything imagined is not simply a lie or fabrication, but an existence in another realm at another time.

Edit: I don't even know why I brought up this topic in the first place. I knew it would make me look stupid, but I did it anyway. At least I get to share my Final Thoughts, which can help people expand their insight on my beliefs.

Attached Files:

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Clearly Killer Vegans should not be able to use those without getting the Fallen Vega debuffs.

Kazeto and Arron Syaoran like this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Finally, a use for all those fairies I've hunted and killed and dessicated in my humidor. I've been trying to smoke them but instead of getting me high, they only seem to make me want to clap my hands if I believe in dead, dessicated fairies.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

But seriously, I really like Roguish Renovation, but when I'm doing a serious run, I tend to not include it for a variety of reasons. I love the special rooms, but I prefer mods that don't add so many new items. The items are cool, but there are too many of them so it's less of a chance of getting the stuff I really want to get. The staples that are common drops tend to be a lot rarer, the more items that are added into the game. This is particularly true if I'm doing a build that works best with some very specific items (crafting builds, and Necro builds to name two). I just do so much better playing a vanilla game (although granted, the various smelting mods do make a crafting build a lot easier).

I'd love a version that only includes the rooms. I know some people love all the new items, so maybe I'm an exception. I think they are cool, and creative. I just would rather observe them from outside the game, rather than inside it.

Kazeto and JimJam707 like this.
  5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

My question to all is: What features in mods you've played annoy/anger you? Things that you don't enjoy that you might be willing to bear with. My main Peeve is the surplus of food items if I have multiple mods installed. For bolts, thrown and other items, it doesn't really matter to me because virtually every item is useful, and I tend to place extra powerful stuff in my Pocket Dimension. Sometimes I actually sell expensive bolts because I need money more than special bolts. I almost always sell wands, and I also tend to sell Faxpax Cocktails and Alchemical Concoctions because they're worth quite alot. The Essence's Pox and the Dr. Sanin's Diphtheria tend to not be worth their price, they do almost no damage at all and their debuffs are no where near severe enough to compare to Eyebrow Shaving. I always find debuffs completely useless unless they have a 25% or more drain on stats or if they do good damage.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Nearly no features in mods 'anger' me. I've occasionally gotten frustrated by bugs that crash my game or render it unplayable, but that's not the same thing. I understand that most of these mods are created by individuals, and they cannot possibly test everything well, nor can they know 100% that their mods will play well with others. As a long time mod user, and a former modder myself (not with Dredmor) I accept that. That doesn't get me angry. Frustrated maybe, but not angry.

Only one time I did get angry, but it mostly had to do with something random that happened while using the mod, that I thought was completely unfair. I wouldn't think that this was something planned by the author of the mod -- I think it's just something that happened when their mod met the random number generator. I was angry because I felt it was unfair. I expect rogue-likes to be tough, and mods can make them tougher. What occasionally makes me angry is when things happen that simply should not happen, because it's not fun, and it's something unfair to the player. In this case, a random boss used a template from a mod and came up with a nigh-impervious boss creature that seemed to be invulnerable to all damage except existential. And that was on level 3 or 4 of the dungeon, in a zoo. the only reason why I discovered that one vulnerability is that the ONLY damage that was being done, out of everything I tried, was a single point of damage every time I hit with my melee attack (not a single missile attack, thrown weapon, bomb, etc. could damage this thing).

Don't get me wrong, I didn't have great items, but for god's sake, I had decent items, appropriate for the dungeon level I was on. I used up every single missile, potion, food item, and so on, trying to make a dent in the critter, and by the end of the fight, you could almost see that I had reduced the health of the boss by an almost imperceptible amount. Yes, the health did go down. But you'd pretty much need a magnifying glass to tell that.

I did post something in the appropriate thread regarding that incident, and how I thought it was something that should not have occurred, so assuming that the modder hasn't left these forums, he must have read about it. I just have not seen any response. I'm not angry at that person, I just felt incredible anger at the game and the mod. This was one of my favorite mods and I was angry because at that point I decided I could no longer use it. Knowing that this was possible, killed all my love for the mod.

And that's pretty much why I was angry. Had I not cared about the mod, I'd simply have said ho-hum, stopped using it, and never looked back. It was that I LOVED the mod, which made me furious. I had told everyone and their mothers to use it. I had applauded it and recommended it on the Steam forums. And now I felt like my heart had been broken, I was betrayed lol.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

What mod was that? Elvish Reality Reborn? Vaults of Maslech? Debacle of Diggles?

8. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I think it's a bit extreme to get angry about a game, it doesn't matter what you're beliefs are you're massacreing a massive number of creatures, and eating meat of real world animals. It's a game, nobody has come out annoyed that there's meat in here because they're a vegetarian (and David is a vegan even), or said they're annoyed because animals are so graceful.

I do get annoyed at poor design in mods though, e.g. unsolvable rooms, or forcing people to use a skill tree to make it past those rooms (*cough* Fax)

While I really don't want to get into a large argument and I would sincerely hope this were a joke:
    "Anyone who believes that they are not real is closed minded, because they are real" is literally doing nothing but saying "nanana I'm not listening" because you're blocking off any attempt to say otherwise by simply attesting that their opinion is a factor of a negative quality and ending the argument without a possibility to listen. Incidentally you've called them close minded while what you've just said is near the epitome of it. Also they're real because they're real. And notice how everything I've said is independent of the belief.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

my swashbucklers mod enables you to murder frogs and birds but I posted a warning about it so the users knows not to download the mod if they are offended by such things.

Kazeto likes this.
  10. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

You're always going to offend someone, especially the easily and professionally offended. Eventually decided not to care. Guess what, offense has been made such a sacrament in today's society. Grow thicker skin. It's hilarious that no one has complained about the minotaur milking room, the portrait of Double-Tap, "sex appeal" as a noun, or any other number of offensive things, but faries take the cake. Hell, the base game has Thrusties which literally hump you to death.

Bergstrom? Well, that one was fair enough, he's an established modder and member of the community, and he generally has a solid grip on what he's talking about. Shared many a note with him and respect his opinion. Much less inclined to take seriously the complaints of someone, as Null has pointed out, who declares that faeries are real and anyone who claims otherwise is closed-minded.

Part of a roguelike is experimentation. I don't see people complaining about Aqua Regia or Solution of Gold not saying what exactly they do (well, they do on occasion. But the devs ignore them). Pull the lever, and see what happens. Take the cake, and see what happens. Or if you must satisfy your curiosity, peer into the XML.

And whatever made anyone think stealing offerings off an altar in a roguelike is smart?

@Haldurson: the goal is to create something that's equally cool and desirable, when it comes to items. Maybe you don't get a clockwork chainsword, but you can get something equally nifty. As a design rule, though, I have never screwed around with introducing new reagents save very specific and limited examples.

@Ruigi, unfortunately, anyone against killing birds will be saddened by the crow line of monsters in the base game.

mining likes this.
  11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Such killer vegans will not be saddened if they used a non-melee attack to do it.

12. Ruigi

It's one thing to kill a bird, it's quite another to kill your favorite companion with a anvil and hammer and use him as a reusable throwing weapon for the rest of the game. throw Polly he goes *thud* and you can pick him up again. You can do it in Swashbucklers mod true story.

lccorp2 and Kazeto like this.
  13. mining

mining Member

The one thing that drives me absolutely nuts is when I realize a mod skill is broken OP halfway through a very successful run.

Kazeto likes this.
  14. Leot

Leot Member

What upsets me honestly are the mods that cause the random crashes due to a conflict somewhere. All of the following were tested just on a vanilla game. The major ones being:

Roguish Renovation (I love it, but it crashes randomly when I walk into a normal room, so it must be an item spawning)

Swashbucklers Mod crash, especially when using or finding different arrows.

Vaults of Maslech I really like, as well as the skill, but something about it conflict with the base game

FaxPax (well known)

Each of these mods offer so much, so it is frustrating to find out that they crash things.

So far Ascii, dredmorating and Essence skill packs work just fine, and TSED Skill mods are my favorite mods. In fact, I don't really look at Essential Skills mod as a mod, rather just part of the normal game.

Kazeto likes this.
  15. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

@Leot: Please update your version of RR to the latest one (0.61). I finally figured out some time back what was causing the crash - me defining so many bookcase contents in the Obsidian Library room in rooms.xml. The latest steam release should have fixed that problem, I'm also going to do a forum release In a couple of minutes.

I have no idea why that would cause crashes when entering a room, but removing the bookcase contents fixed it, so...best not to poke what works.

Kazeto likes this.
  16. Leot

Leot Member

Ha ha ha alright, thank you. That explains it. I tend to always use "hard copies" of the mods over the steam subscriptions, so it must have been that very hard copy that did it. Thank you, and fantastic mod!

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Sorry, I was talking about Ascii Invasion. I thought it must have been the mod that did it, since the boss was a randomized variant of one of his creations. I love the mod, I just won't use it again.

18. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

In the mod that adds the Essence Pox, Wildfire Vial and Dr Sanin Plague, my game keeps freezing when using them on monster zoos. Although the Wildfire vial is an effective tool for clearing out monster zoos, the spam of templates lock up my game before the zoo gets cleared. Even worse, some of the mobs resist the damage it does. I recommend either lowering the spread rate of the tile effects, lowering the time it takes to dissipate(make it spread just as fast as it dissipates, except on it's first few turns after throwing), or possibly removing the items because they tend to cause crashes and freezes quite often in monster zoos. I only use them for monster zoos because the smaller groups aren't big enough to waste a vial on.

Edit: for those of you who have posted, please reread the first post I made.

19. mining

mining Member

Mmm, what?

20. Ruigi

whoa are you serious? is this the only problem with swashbucklers mod? are you sure it's even due to something from the mod?

Im sure there are other crashy problems out there but this is the first time I've heard of an arrow-related crash.

also it's been several months since I've touched any of that stuff so it would take me awhile to even wrap my brain around troubleshooting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.