A terrible problem with this game...

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Mikel, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I am starting to feel a sense of pride of ownership with my colonies. After spending far too much time tinkering with and building up a colony, it creates an almost physical pain to delete the files after the version rolls and save files become obsolete.

PartTimeVillain and dbaumgart like this.
  2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I don't know if it's progress or not, but I'll take it.

(And man, I keep reading only the subject lines here, and your subject lines are always "HERE IS A TERRIBLE PORTENT" and then inside it's something innocuous. Stop giving me heart attacks!)

3. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

So basically, it's clickbait.

4. Mikel

I can't help myself. I am a cruel bastard.

The other day, my boys found a baby rabbit that had clearly been hurt by some predator. My wife whisked it away to a vet... Knowing it wasn't going to make it, my wife spun a story about how it would get better and go to bunny land... well, they couldn't stop talking about the damn rabbit, and how they wanted to visit it... After hearing about it repeatedly, I told my boys I received a picture from the vet... I showed them an image of a rabbit on a spit.

5. Mikel

The game keeps getting better. The more stable it becomes and the more features you add the easier it is to become invested in the progress of a colony. I tend to slowly advance my colony (or what I assume or feel is slow) and sometimes get cramped a bit with the release schedule...

PartTimeVillain likes this.
  6. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Ironically at some point it always starts to get really slow on me, not sure why.

I wonder if it has to do with storing items, though it should be one stack+some loose ones, perhaps having 700 bread is what causes slowdowns.

7. Mikel

A couple version back I had problems with the smoke from iron stoves killing my frame rate. Not seeing the same issues now, but I have also not checked to see if the big billowing clouds of smoke are pouring from my ovens.

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I think we stumbled on that one happening if there was a scripterror during a commodity production job that would lock the oven animation into a "start spawning particles!" loop on every game frame.

Sooo ... ... ... yup. Hopefully that doesn't happen anymore?

9. Mikel

Does David like the fact that I give Nicholas heart attacks with my thread titles?

dbaumgart likes this.
  10. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I've used iron ovens and that isn't a problem.

Still get the old' studdering-stepping (most obvious sign of slowdown) though. It isn't just number of colonists, it happens around 30 people. If the game goes on for a while (and I've been getting to day 50-70 days on recent games)

It's probably not buildings and I don't have many, and because it takes quite a while to load, I was suspecting the items on ground/stockpile might do it, what else builds up over a game?

11. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We kinda need him to finish the game, so go easy on it.

PartTimeVillain and Mikel like this.
  12. Mikel

I am fairly certain the rest of the playerbase would crowdfund a bounty on my head if I were to actually kill him.

PartTimeVillain likes this.
  13. Wolg

Wolg Member

Nah. We'd crowdfund a replacement technology director. The bounty on you would be a stretch goal. :D

Priorities! :p

Mikel likes this.
  14. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

[​IMG]

:p

(old pic)

15. Dear Cog, sir! Your poor atmosphere...