A Little Mod Music?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Remliel, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Remliel

Remliel Member

The music in DoD is great and thematic, of course, but after playing a couple hundred hours, one wonders how many people eventually give in and mute it and listen to their music player of choice?

BUT WAIT! There could be a way to help solve a crisis of a musical doldrum! Mods that could add music could be very interesting, as well as add additional hooks for existing modmakers to add a new dimension to their modding, as well as giving an outlet for the musically talented to contribute in their own way.

Yes, copyright issues could be a problem for public distribution but I'm sure we could find a way to stuff original creations under whatever legal boilerplate is being used for the general modding scene.

I was in fact going to go look up some public domain music and test this out on my own system to see if I could get some kind of proof of concept going but I am not seeing any support for such a thing as of yet. Am I just overlooking it, or is there no support for mod-added musical scores at this time?

SkyMuffin and Kazeto like this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You would have to put it in the suggestion forum - right now it is not possible to make such mods, and that is the reason why there are none.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I was thinking about this the other day. The music for Dredmor is awesome, but with so much content, and so many hours of play possible, it gets old eventually. Mods would be great for this issue.

4. Remliel

Remliel Member

Good point. I should totally put this over there, unless a friendly mod can move it for me?

5. Megaron

Megaron Member

What I do when I tire of this (admittedly masterful) soundtrack is mute the music and pull up my playlist.
    I never shall forget the night I made six robbers run~♫

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

This would be easy enough to do. I'm just wary of the copyright issues.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get around that. If someone wants to put up his own music mod, it would have to be something of his own creation, or something that is free to download (there are some music albums that are really free, one only needs to know how to look for them); on the other hand, if someone wants to add a music file he owns (or not) to his own DoD playlist, copyrights don't really matter since nobody would see what he put there.

TheJadedMieu likes this.
  8. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

9. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

@Remliel what about muting background music of DoD and use a 3rd partly audio player on background?

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

That is what I do. Global hotkeys on Winamp are wonderful. But Dredmor itself has a certain...dungeony feel that is hard to imitate.

Er, what I mean is that the music for Dredmor is made just for Dredmor. It sets the mood/tone for that game alone. It is difficult to mix and match other music to it...it loses the magic. It has to be music made just for the game.

11. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

Do the original sound artist has any blog post or any documentation about how he created original DoD soundtracks?

12. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

As an aspiring musician and composer of music, if given the opportunity (and told what to do) I would enjoy making a mod with original music that would fit with the existing soundtrack.

13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

https://twitter.com/zath
    That's about it, I think.

Mashirafen and iamcreasy like this.
  14. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

So, I was wondering if someone from the developer side could tell us a little more about this request.

Can we expect to have A little mod music?

15. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Nicholas did, a few posts above you:

16. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

The thing is nobody is going to stop player to void copyright issue even now?. There will always be room for violate copyright.

17. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

While you're at it, it might be good to make the samples used for dredmor's music available to modders, so that we can make similar sounding things.

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

A decent idea. Maybe not applicable, depending on the situation with their sound guy, but I have to say that I like it.

OmniNegro likes this.
  19. codebracker

codebracker Member

I agree it is a sound idea, but I have no idea how, so someone else please make one;)