A few questions I have

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Klokinator, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Member

True to my word, I bought Dredmor and I freaking love it! I've been playing it nonstop for about 4 days now, I have not beaten the game because I keep restarting my character trying to get the perfect build (IMO the perfect build anyway).

So I must state, I do not want any spoilers if possible. Please do be vague as "That item is super effective against Dredmor" is a spoiler, but "That item is valuable at the endgame" is not. I reaaaally am trying to play this legit, I always ruin roguelikes by learning too intimately how they work and this ruins the mystique about them.

1. There are these three runes, the rune of pillars, and two others, I'm sure everyone knows what they are. At any point in the game, will they serve a purpose? Are they useless unless a certain skill is equipped? And should I collect them at all? Vagueness, please. Right now, I just take them and sell them, even though they're worth practically nothing, but the Wiki had no information on them.

2. I do not have Wandcrafting as a skill, so since I have an item that gives me +2 to wandcrafting, will my skill in wandcrafting not increase? Seems like it should, because it's kinda unfair it can't and mine isn't raising :(

3. My current Skill Set, chosen entirely by me with no information from the wiki, is Maces, Staves, Dual-Wielding, Artful Dodging, Alchemy, Blacksmithing/Smithing, and Archaeology. As you might imagine, I will have no spells or summons, so will this hurt me badly in the endgame?

I do this to get the best stave and mace in the game and to dual wield them at the same time. (Jangly Stave, and that one godlike mace whose name eludes me.)
    I use the dodging just for extra avoid, and also for the jump skill helping me navigate in the early game. Archaeology is for disarming traps, refurbishing Krong anvils, and extra experience for Named artifacts.
    Alchemy and Blacksmithing let me not only make the Stave and Mace on my own, they also let me make potent armor and etc.

On a scale of 1-10, how high would you rank a build like this?

2. Karock

Karock Member

1) The runes are used only in the rooms they are found in. You put them in order the the slots in that room, pull the lever and it spawns a vending machine. There is one order in which they do not work (the lever will do nothing) just rearrange and try again.

2) Wandcrafting skill on items is leftover from before they changed the skill. As a consequence it does nothing. If you could increase it from random stats, it wouldn't be like the other crafting profs (which can't be increased except tinkering through one specific item - not a random stat spawned on items)

3) Don't worry about it, just enjoy yourself and learn as you go!

I think asking for advice on a build when you don't want spoilers is a poor idea and I would be wary of checking this thread since people will give you advice. It sounds like you would have more fun deciding what works well on your own.

P.S. don't worry about 'getting too far' and not being able to start over... you will start over ;)

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Member

ffffuuuuuu

ffs I saw those indents on the floor and was like "What the hell is that?" I thought they were leftover traps or something. Maaan I feel lame right now.

I was really more interested in the 1-10 rating than anything. However that's a pretty good point 8D I just added a bunch of mods but until I beat vanilla DoD I'm not going to use any of them.

4. Marak

Marak Member

Re: 3rd point

2 Weapon Skills is fairly redundant and generally sub-optimal - it's hard to take advantage of the Active Skills (assuming you pump enough points to get them) and it's hard to have 1 weapon of each type at the same time (if you're dual-wielding) AND each weapon type offers different stats, which aren't necessarily complimentary.

A tip: get Knightly Leap from Artful Dodger and practice using it (it's an L-shaped teleport, like a Knight on a Chess board) - having an escape method is always recommended and generally one of the best ways to stay alive and/or get out of "Oh shit!" moments.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say about a 5 or a 6: your negatives are Alchemy - which is mostly useful for spellcasters, and the aforementioned "two weapon skill" problem.

On the plus side, you have some innate healing with Alchemy (from Potions), a movement skill (Knightly Leap), and some good offensive options (dual-wielding, weapon skill), plus you can use Archaeology skills for some utility (more XP, rerolling items, the mighty Fedora).

5. Klokinator

Klokinator Member

My previous build actually didn't have alchemy or staves, and replaced those with Berserk Rage and Tinkering, and the build before that replaced Tinkering with Perception.

My main issue was that even though Berserk is awesome, that extra skill slot didn't have any seemingly awesome extra uses (I almost never use traps or archery so Tinkering is worthless to me), and then I saw how great the Jingly Jangly staff was and I figured Staves would be a more potent tree, except I needed to be able to actually craft things for the staves, hence replacing Berserk with Alchemy and Tinkering with Staves.

Also, if you have a Jingly Jangly staff and that one final axe version too, and Dual Wielding is maxed along with staves and maces being maxed too, my damage output should be insane, not that I've gotten that far yet xP

6. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

The game rewards dual wielding the same weapon type significantly more than dual wielding different weapon types. All of the stat and damage bonuses you get from a weapon skill are doubled when you wield two of the same weapon type. For example:

Axes skill + 1 axe
    :crit:12 :dmg_slashing:6 :edr:19

Axes skill + 2 axes
    :crit:24 :dmg_slashing:12 :edr:38

The only benefit from wielding two different weapon types are the procs and active skills.

(I'd like the 'double stat' feature to be removed and the stats adjusted accordingly)

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Member

Oh... snap. Well forget dual weapon types then xD