6 broken Uberchests on one level

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by r_b_bergstrom, Dec 19, 2011.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I know we've all encountered the rare odd uberchest that doesn't open even when you're think you flipped every switch. Honestly, I'd always assumed there was some switch somewhere that I'd overlooked, maybe a lever hidden behind a wall or blocking object. At the rate of 1 unsolved uberchest every two floors or so, I never found it worth the time to backtrack thoroughly and make certain it wasn't user error on my part. Until now.

I just completed level 3 of a dungeon, and by the end there were 6 uberchests on that level that still wouldn't open. There's absolutely no way I missed 6 levers! I even had my wife watch me re-search the level to confirm I didn't miss anything. Clearly something is broken.

1.0.8, on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Can you upload the save? It'd be nice to have one to pinpoint things with since Nick thought he had fixed that.

3. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

If I had to venture a guess, I think saving might break uberchests? On my latest 2 playthroughs I can't help but notice that as long as I played straight through a level start to finish every single uberchest got opened, whereas floors where I saved and took a break early on wound up with mostly broken uberchests.

4. BuzuBuzu

BuzuBuzu Member

I agree. Whenever I had the time and persistence to finish an entire floor in one sitting without leaving the floor or saving, there would be no problems with UberChests. However if I ventured to a floor above for any reason (to move my supply cache down, or maybe sell some stuff to a shopkeeper if I hadn't found one on the current floor), there would inevitably be UberChests that wouldn't open upon my return. Same goes for saving and loading midway through clearing a floor.

Playing with the "No time to grind" option does make floor clearing in one single sitting more doable, but it's quite annoying and I've had to weigh finding a useful artifact from an UberChest against real-world commitments (starting on making dinner, getting to work early, etc.)

Could this please get fixed in the next hotfix/patch. I'd like to be able to play the game on my own time.

On a related note, I found that saving/loading or leaving the floor after opening a door to a monster zoo and not clearing it immediately results in no reward for clearing it later. I'd like to see that fixed too. To be honest I didn't even know there were rewards for for clearing monster zoos immediately. Upon finding one, I'd clear the rest of the floor and collect any items that would be of use against all the monsters in the zoo, then prepare and craft bolts before facing the ravenous hordes. I only clued in to the whole reward thing upon finding a monster zoo right after entering a new floor and without any other doors to open having no option but to clear it out immediately.

5. Godwin

Godwin Member

Agree about the UberChests needing to be fixed.

The Monster Zoo Reward however is meant to not drop when you employ strategies like that.
    Sure, it's smarter and more prudent to do as you described. But it's not epically courageous.
    If you want that reward you'll have to adhere to certain rules: Don't withdraw too far, don't go to another level, don't enter a shop.
    I think these rules are perfect. You're free to do what you like, but if you risk more, you also get a reward in the form of an artifact and a nice splashscreen (and achievement if it's your first time).

6. Eucori

Eucori Member

That explains why I only found one Uberchest on the first floor (and I couldn't open it). Every time I get the chance, I visit the next floor to see if there's a Dredmor Statue nearby.

7. blob

blob Member

Meh. I'm pretty sure its just a bug.
    And its really frustrating when you go through all the trouble of killing 50 to 100 monsters only to get nothing because you had the idea of walking around a lil bit.

8. r_b_bergstrom

9. Daynab

Sorry, I believe we need the Korinna Katrou.sav and not the bitmap_ one.

10. r_b_bergstrom

11. Daynab

Thanks, we'll take a look at it.

12. r_b_bergstrom

Thank you.

13. Fwiw, I have never been able to open an Uberchest. :(
    How are they suppose to work?

14. r_b_bergstrom

You pull a lever elsewhere on the same floor. The words "you hear the sounds of machinery" appears on the ticker on the upper left of the screen. The chest graphic changes slightly, to look just a little bit open with a crack of blue light at the seam. (The graphic showing where the chest is on the map changes in essentially the same way.) If you then click on the uberchest while adjacent to it, or if you walk over it, it will give you an artifact.

Going up or down stairs seems to break uberchests you've already seen but not opened. So does saving the game. Not sure it's 100% break rate, but I think it is. It seems like the game doesn't save the associations between the generated but not yet pulled levers, and the chests they are supposed to open. To avoid the bug, play an entire floor at a time without saving or using the stairs.

15. mmmkay. Hope they get this one fixed in 1.o.10.
    Thanks

16. You'll get used to it, I'm currently at lvl 9, already found 20 or so uberchest, only 4 managed to be opened

17. Ed Nakamura

Ed Nakamura Member

I can confirm that Uberchests won't open at either:
    - saving and loading/or exiting the game and reloading
    - going up/downstairs

I'm at floor 14, level 34 and only managed to open 1 uberchest (think it was in the early levels, where the lever was quite near the chest).

Edit: forgot to mention, 1.09B mac steam version