Are mines still horribly bugged?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by mailersmate, Feb 24, 2016.

1. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

Not played in a while - was wondering if this has been sorted out yet?

2. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I have not had any problems with the mines I have made in recent builds.

3. Unforked

Unforked Member

No mine issues here, while in 47D I had crashes every time an overseer entered a shaft.

4. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

The mine code got some attention recently, I believe they should now be working as intended. At least, I haven't encountered any problems lately.

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

They should be fixed. They were relying on a messy hack from before office code was completed. Now they're much better. We're all fine here. How are you?

grayfox687 and Tikigod like this.
  6. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Who is this? What's your operating number?

7. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Pew pew pew!

8. mailersmate

mailersmate Member

I was bored of that conversation anyway

Rentahamster likes this.
  9. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

It might not crash, but my ver48-A miners are still doing the "run to random stockpile, realize there's only one stockpile accepting Raw Materials, run to that one" thing.

Wonder where exactly the problem in selecting drop-off location comes from. They go to stockpiles that accept nothing.

Could it be because they decide their dropoff location before the game determines what their output is? So it just shrugs and assigns them a random stockpile. And only after walking there then it goes "oh you're holding a Cube of Clay, let's see where that can go"

Daniel likes this.
  10. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Is it always a random stockpile or rather always the same stockpile and just not one that should be recognised as a valid option?

As it could always be something like mines aren't benefiting from the full behaviour of the 'Stockbotics' overhaul to the hauling logic and so are hitting a problem related how colonist hauling used to always favour the first stockpile built back before there was more reliable distance accountability for valid stockpile types.

If Mines never got brought up to Stockbotics standards with the fixes and instead they've been about stabilising the individual hauling logic mines initiate, could be it's trying to use old behaviour that has since changed and is now built around the assumption the entire stockbotics rules are being followed and any pre-requisite checks had already been performed and verified rather than having behaviour brute forcing itself to start things later on in the chain. But once it hits some kind of "Dump item at stockpile, but stockpile refuses it" problem, then a new hauling calculation is done that does follow the full rules of stockbotics from the start.

I've noticed if you have items stored in a stockpile, and then change the stockpile to not accept goods of that type, often the first thing your colonists will do is rather than haul the goods from the now invalid stockpile to a valid one, is instead to take the goods and dump it on the ground some random distance away and THEN later as a different job pick it up and take it to a valid stockpile... so it does seem there are some situations where the full logic chain isn't properly adhered to.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

A random one. Though once they bounce from it, they do pick the closest "correct" one afterwards. Now the thing is that mines only ever produce "Raw Materials" I think...

And you know my colony has stockpiles everywhere which accept nothing (as I use them as "roads")

Ok, so um, hmm looking at the following:
    vs this for the mining:
    Is it like I was guessing that it somehow is walking to "drop_location" and then actually reevaliates "drop_location" before actually going for item drop?

Many of the other jobs seem to also define the drop_location before the item is produced, but all of them do this "fill_input_for_held_item" and then only use the "walk....for_item_drop"

If I understand this right, anyway....

only "mine in mineshaft" actually has the line "<walk_to_adjacent_position input="drop_location">"

So yeah, perhaps? I'm wondering if removing this one line would "fix" it. The colonist would leave mineshaft and then evaluate where to go (then go there) rather than go "somewhere" before evaluating where to actually go.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Tikigod and Samut like this.
  12. dbaumgart

Works beautifully. Thanks!

13. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yay.

I think the quality of the mine doesn't affect miners. Specifically they gain no working memory from working in a mineshaft module, I think?

14. dbaumgart

That is correct as of this very moment.

15. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Hmm, well currently the Do Diplomacy has two memories spawned, the (1) worked in a XXYY room (quality) and (2) the liked/dislike paperwork one.

More importantly, not sure what is up with having multiple mineshaft modules, I've spotted my people piling into the same mineshaft module in 48A, however before I am certain that they would only take turns if there was say only one.

16. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Yeah, that's why I would usually build multiple modules before. I dunno about the behavior in 48A, I haven't played it much.

17. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yeah I saw 3 people cram into the mine when it had only 2 modules in it so... yeah.

I'm noticing the miners come out with their ore etc, and they have a "Drop Item" job. They don't do the crazy thing they did before, but they will wander around and drop their stuff nearby the mine (just on the ground). So time to take a look and see if that's fixable... I have a hunch.

Think I have it...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  18. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

I used/tested this on ver48-C

Ok, I managed to get it so your miners will, as you expect, drop their output at the nearest stockpile which accepts Raw Materials. This is to say, they will not have the "Drop Item" job, and will not drop their stuff on the ground at random either.

You modify this at your own risk. I checked and it worked fine for me, with one caveat:
    Make sure no one is doing a mineshaft-job when you do the change. This is to say:
    • Open your save, remove any workgroups from a mine office.
    • Check that no one is in a mineshaft or has the "Mine in Mineshaft" job
    • Save and quit
    • Make a backup of your game\jobs\workshop_jobs.xml

You are now going to open up the workshop_jobs.xml and look for the following:
    Replace all that with the following:
    What the original does is they mine and then are left holding an item, which they will then "Drop Item"

If I'm right, what happens NOW is that they pick some random stockpile, go and mine, and then when they are done, they look at their ore etc and then determine which stockpile is nearest that accepts it, then they go there and drop it off.

They never have the Drop Item job, it's "Work in Mineshaft" throughout, the moment they exit the mine, they go to the stockpile, drop the output in the stockpile and immediately go back to the mineshaft.

Before: Look at this silly miner, he has no idea how to drop that at the provided stockpile:
    [​IMG]

This should never happen after. In the case as shown above, once I cleared everyone out and changed the job, they now always drop their stuff right at the door and go back for more mining.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Rentahamster, Bluebird and Samut like this.
  19. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

version 48-C and 48-B have the same mine "job", so in 48-C your miners will still do the "drop item" thing.

I looked closely, sometimes they will drop their ore in the stockpile, sometimes they will run around outside and drop it on the ground at random. The fix is the same as above.