Linux 32-bit 1.1.2 dimension code - enter portal -crash

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Ghira, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Ghira

Ghira Member

I've just upgraded my linux 32 bit copy via desura to 1.1.2 of all 4 bits of game. no mods.

I found a code, entered pocket dimension, typed code into machine, clicked on (now red) portal,
    crashed to desktop. code was "Utwezargofur"

2. Ghira

Ghira Member

old save was there. opened, went into pocket dimension, used code, saved. was going to upload it but looks like it's a whole directory of stuff. here's a zip of it.

Attached Files:

3. Ghira

Ghira Member

On third attempt at loading save, portal took me to diggle hell (shouldn't it have worked, being a valid code? maybe
    the fact that I retyped it before making save I uploaded makes it hell rather than real?)

so it's not 100% failure to use portals.

4. Ghira

Ghira Member

Looks like I was typoing the code (actually Utwezargorfur) so it was diggle hell that was crashing me, not a wizardland.

Have now visited this and another wizardland successfully, but still a portal to somewhere crashed two times out of three.

5. Arqane

Arqane Member

I've crashed twice trying to get into wizardlands since the patch. Both times it was due to missing png files. Where oh where has the art gone?

6. Arqane

Arqane Member

So... I found the answer to my bug, and it might be affecting other people (and very important to notice for the devs with LOTS of these possible bugs). Since it was a file missing, I went to the folder to scan and see if the files were just spelled incorrectly, since that's a common mistake. But then I noticed they simply weren't there. Not even close. Then I remembered there was a free 2nd expansion, and there were folders for the 1st and 3rd expansions in my files, but not the 2nd. So I downloaded it figuring that the art files might be there, and guess what...

Please don't use dependencies in the expansions that might not be there from DLCs that people don't have. Unless you require someone to get all of them first. That could be a reason for lots of crashes besides just this one that I had.

Now I have to go find the log file that stores my used wizardlands codes so I can delete it and at least restore the 4-5 ones that I never got to because of this bug :p.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

We've tried to get rid of all dependencies, seems some may have slipped by. What file was it?

8. Arqane

Arqane Member

There were two. Only one that I can remember. It was the kitchen_counter_ew.png (how ironic that I had just about everything *but* the kitchen counter). I'll attach some dump files. I think all 3 were portal crashes.

Attached Files:

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Oh farpity-farp. Okay, okay...

Exile likes this.
  10. Arqane

Arqane Member

Bad programmer, bad! But I can see how it's easy to do with the DLCs. People could have any combination of the ones out there, and unless all your dependencies are based on the vanilla version, there could be problems. Unfortunately that's kind of limiting though, too, with all the good stuff that's been added in the expansions. It's also progressively harder to test for every combination of DLC since you're probably usually just running them all.

EDIT: Just to add another one, the Joint Lubricant encrust also uses an item from YHTNTEP. It was showing up as blank for me before, but now it shows Alchemical Ooze now that I picked up YHTNTEP.

11. Ghira

Ghira Member

I have base game and all three official expansions, so whatever happened to me was not because of missing YHTNTEP.