1.0B Hotfix on the Experimental Branch

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just to make a notice, it wasn't as fun as it seems: in fact this colony frustrated me so much that I decided to let it die, and after FAILING EVEN IN KILLING IT, to simply build a new one. I started by "pumping" population with the ultra basic houses startegy, and, after collected a good amount of resources and Brick'aBracks I decided to dismantle everything and rebuild all from scratch. I never got to expande the tech tree, since it was a game on a costant siege: cultist [a lot of fishpeople transformation! Really, too much of it. It started to annoy me, in its monotony and costant failure (probably because I didn't have all the meanings to counter it) ]; sthalmarks, I kept them hostile, just for fun and battle, but while in previous games I got only one foreign attack at all, in this I got continuos attacks, always around 20 people, and in the end they were armed with carabines and granade launchers. Also I don't know how I triggered the failure of this attack since, from what I see both sides always lose... :D [And I always survived this event, with tons of losses. Always asking reinforcements from allies and an additional squad of redcoats. And with 15 soldiers equipped with ceramic tripistols or blunderbuss at best (no smith until the end)]. I decided to invest in more allies: I got friendly with the neutral nation and the bandits, to see if at 100 I got any bonuses (nope! But they somehow started to fight between themselves, and decided to establish some camps inside my colony...). Notice that even though bandits are your allies, they are not allied with your foreign friends: so as soon as you ask help from outside and you have a foreign power and bandits as allies, they will fight each other. It can be amusing, if not repeated continuosly.
    And often happened that, right after an invasion, i got a fishy transformation and, since in a desperate attempt to at least once "win" the event, I attacked the fishpeople, this translated in a massive fishpeople horde. A chain of this kind took my standig with the empire at -150 or lower. And destroyed my overseers population. My standig was so bad that went out od the "value bar" in the F.O. ...
    Oh, since fishpeople are hostiles, when a successive fishy transformation occurs, is really difficult to transform people: the fishpeople attack the cultis before transforming them. The cultists revert to civilians and fight back. Kind of Eldritch, I suppose? This results in cultis getting murdered (but not transformed!) by fishpeople.

In the end I had still -100 standing, three-four overseers, lack of food (I have yet to find a balance in farming in the alpine biomes...) and still some fishy people. I didn't assigna an NCO, since the trapped knight provided enough security to the colony, and hoped for another fishpeople horde to finish this bloody mess. Cultists seemed to work too slowly: I got a foreign attack from the sthalmarks! Yes, they will surely wipe me out! So, opposite strategy: no allied reinforcements and no troops from the Empire! I got some mines, that I casually put near the center of the colony, just to do something with them and it asked for an air bombardment. Remember: I didn't have any soldier! Not even one! I won. I lost only one labourer. All the 14 attacking sthalmarks died. I think they triggered most of the mines, and 5-6 were beaten to death by civilians. I don't know what this means. Failed even to kill my colony, I decided to shut it down and begin a new one in the tropics, a biome I've never done before.

What I've learned from this is that it is not so easy to win, but losing is really hard! Too hard!

What gave me the most disappointment were that the entire cold mechanic is underpowered: it's just a costant malus to the Quality of Life. I hoped it was a malus that could be countered with radiators or fireplaces, maybe the latter with a need of "chopped wood" as supplies like the F.O. or the lab...

Attached Files:

Exile and Naffarin like this.
  2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Those civilians really know about cold steel. Or in many cases, boxing.

Exile and Cthulhu_Awaits like this.
  3. Naffarin

Naffarin Bureaucrat-Inspector Exemplar of The Empire

I made exactly the same experiences in my arctic colony. Events are coming in frequently but the invariety makes them uninteresting. My colony was low on food either and yet survived without even minor consequences. Given that the arctiv biome should be the most difficult it should be actually more leading to freezing / hunger death than it currently does.

Exile, Unforked and Cthulhu_Awaits like this.
  4. Puzzlemaker

Puzzlemaker Member

Right now it seems that there are too many caps in place. Colonists can only get so despaired, angry or hungry. It would be nice if when a colonist goes Too Far Down The Path Of Madness, they get new, fun traits added to them to create Horrible Things. Or just generally if it was easier to lose.

5. Unforked

Unforked Member

I want to at least see the
    A maddened colonist with a certain trait would wander around killing people by transforming them into a group of trees
    return. That was brutal, yet provided a nice little source of extra timber.

Exile and Cthulhu_Awaits like this.
  6. Soopah

Soopah Member

Can you please do something about the barber? The barber is always frolicking about instead of barbering somebody.

Menthol_Penguin and Exile like this.
  7. Trygve

Trygve Member

I think that issue comes up a lot because potential patients seek out the barber when they have their breaks. Because the barber has the same breaks, he'll leave the barbershop the moment his clients arrive at his door. In my games, the barber usually heads for the pub across the street.

Exile likes this.
  8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We'll have a look and make sure it's working as intended - at the very least, might be good to encourage the barber to hang out closer to the barbershop in off-times. Logged as OC-5883

Menthol_Penguin, Turbo164 and Exile like this.
  9. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I frequently get requests for the vicar... at times when he IS in the chapel...

10. Naffarin

That's normal if more people are trying to confess than the work crew allows, same for the barber by the way

Exile likes this.
  11. Mikel

Then my colonists have too much free time if they are in such great need of confessional time.

Exile likes this.
  12. Naffarin

Maybe they want to confess that they are not doing their job properly :) Adding some labourers to the vicar workcrew should solve this problem anyway.

Exile likes this.
  13. Trygve

Trygve Member

I've noticed that in my games this alert comes up frequently during the first week after I've built and staffed the chapel, then it quiets down. I believe it has something to do with a built-up, unsatisfied need for a chapel, which leads to a rush of people wanting to confess to the priest as soon as he's available.

Exile likes this.
  14. Mikel

It is usually regarded poorly when a priest is responsible for satisfying pent up needs.

15. Exile

Exile Member

Achtung Cthulhu_Awaits!
    As in your longish post.
    costant ,must be spelled as "constant" : Konstante,immer,always

seige spelling or siege"
    seige correctly spelled is "siege.
    NB *Edit :Full rule; I before E except after C and when followed by G as in neighbour and weigh...

There is not another correct English exception. regardless of the spelling found elsewhere.

Ask and you will receive.NB not recieve.

Apologies for the outside influence.

Here is one of your big fans!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Cthulhu_Awaits and Jagwithtude like this.
  16. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

TODO list updated up top.

Trygve and Exile like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.