[1.0.8] Monstrous Menagerie! [v0.1]

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by FaxCelestis, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Austupaio

Austupaio Member

Sorry for the double post but you mentioned "Okay, I got a hydra miniboss room to work, and to create using debug."; I've added the -debug-flag to my shortcut but I don't actually know how to spawn items or units. Mind helping me out?

2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

-debug-flag -testroom "Hydra Miniboss" -x 3 -y 10

3. Austupaio

Austupaio Member

So to see a specific item I'd have to make a room?

4. FaxCelestis

Yeah, and force that item into the room.

5. Austupaio

Austupaio Member

Ah, I see. Thanks, man.

6. FaxCelestis

v0.5 is here. It introduces the summoner miniboss on floor 8.

7. bobf

bobf Member

Your mod looks awesome but I cant download it :(

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Ah, yes, the Megaupload problem.

I reckon you might want to upload it again, FaxCelestis...

9. FaxCelestis

I will in a bit. I just discovered the summoner can cause a crash.

10. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Hey Fax, the download is unavailable because the government has seized the Megaupload site. (For a second there I thought it was just a anti-SOPA add, but a quick search reveals that they really did seize and freeze the site.)

I was hoping to download your mod and play it now that I'm not neck-deep in debugging my own work anymore. Any chance you could make this available again somewhere?

11. FaxCelestis

Sure, attaching it here:

Attached Files:

12. r_b_bergstrom

13. FaxCelestis

Do note, in the files there's a room and a monster commented out: the Summoner. This is intentional: when he summons a duplicate creature, it crashes the game.

14. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

Was it hard making all the sprites for the units? Especially the Hydra, that thing looks badass as hell!

15. FaxCelestis

Actually, I found them online, didn't make them myself. I did have to cut them, size them, animate them. and index them for DoD, though.

16. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Using the version of this mod posted for download a couple posts back, DoD CTD's every time I try to descend to level 2. Unloading the mod lets me proceed down. Also not seen any new creatures yet using this mod. I am just supposed to extract the zip to documents\gaslamp games\dungeons of dredmor\mods\monsterpak to install this thing properly or am I missing something ?

The other mods running are clockwork knights, dwarven armanents, essential dod 1+2, interior dredmorating, item pack, jay phonemes and megacrafts, perhaps some kind of mod conflict?

17. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I have heard tell that the Menagerie and Interior Dredmorating don't play nice together.

18. FaxCelestis

Surprising, but possible. I don't know why they wouldn't, but maybe they have two rooms with the same name?

19. r_b_bergstrom

The main game has multiple rooms with the same name, and that doesn't cause any problems, so it shouldn't for us. *Goes and pokes around in the files.* Nope, we don't use the same room names at all.

The crashes people are describing sound to me like the sorts of crashes you get if the game goes to load a room that includes a customblocker with a typo in it's png reference.

*Rummages through the files again.*

Here's a few thought towards debugging this... I can't test most of these because I'm on a Mac and can't load 2 mods at the same time, anyway.

Fax uses the following when pointing at a picture for a customblocker (etc): png="mod/dungeon/stone_bowl.xml"
    Whereas I've done all my image references as: png="dungeon/snowman.png"

Both seem to work as a general standard (since each mod functions fine on it's own), but perhaps using both formats in the same game somehow confuses the computer? I would guess that the game isn't sure which mod folder to look in, and searches your mod for my pictures or vice-versa.

If that's the case, I suppose we could "mac-pack" them and that might clear up the troubles?

I wish the modding features were better documented, as I have no idea whether or not changing references to png="Interior Dredmorating/dungeon/snowman.png" would fix the trouble, accomplish nothing, or make it worse. If it is that my references aren't specific enough, I could fix that, but it's literally hundreds of references in my files so it's not a copy & paste job I'd want to undertake without knowing before hand that it would fix it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Fax, but doesn't the Monstrous Menagerie unpack into a folder named "mod" not "monstrous menagerie" or "monster pack" or the like (thus explaining the above references in your code)? I seem to recall that I renamed the version I downloaded so that I could tell it apart from other mods when doing the mac dance where I swap in or out the one mod I plan to use. I'm wondering if those running a lot of mods have done the same - if so that rename could cause the crashes. The game searches for an initial directory called mod, and it's not there, or occurs in more than one place. Perhaps we both need to make our references more specific.

And that's about where the ideas run dry for me.

20. FaxCelestis

The original one did that, yes. The reason I have mod/ on the front end of my file paths is because I put sprites/ and dungeon/ inside mod/.

I don't see why that'd be an issue anyway.

However, if you want to macpac MM into ID, go for it. I'll just pass you updated MM files to include when I add new stuff.