1.0.6 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Marak, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Marak

Marak Member

Aight, here goes. Going to jump into 1.0.6 with a Dual-shield, Mighty Foot, Shield and Armor Skilled, Smithy-type Melee guy. GR/PD, of course. I have dubbed him Armourid.

So, I get... uh... lucky and have a Sickly Diggle and a standard Diggle in the initial room. Fortunately, the Unopenable Gate makes for a good chokepoint and my "getting hit" proc helps me survive. I start grabbing Diggle Eggs and devouring them in a most disturbing manner whenever injured. The Mighty Foot is doing a whopping 4 points of damage per hit.

One of the Diggles whose nest I robbed claims that they have ways of making me talk. We'll see.

After some kicking practice I have mastered the Throwing Buffalo Technique, which allows me to deal 7+ damage per kick with the ever-useful knockback. The Lingering Weakness I feel after drinking from that stagnant fountain now has a spiffy new Eyebrows Icon. It's very nice-a.

Lobstery Fungus also grants you the ability to gaze at its wonderful Eyebrow Lobster Icon. In fact, all the fungi seem to have grown shiny new Icons. I approve. Also, I think The Prince got buffed? It's giving me 12 Health.

Also, the Mini-map Icons for Inconsequentia Shrines and Anvils of Krong have been fixed: Krong Icons start bright and aluminum-colored when unused and dim to a dingy grey once you've ruined them with your crafting ineptitude. Conversely, Inconsequentia Shrines start off black-and-white when you first see them, and light up with the now-standard Yellow Exclamation Point when you accept the quest from one.

Speaking of mini-map Icons, the new ones I've seen so far:

Red Circle-y things for Satanic Displacement Glyphs
    Something that looks like ET from the Atari 2600 game for an Eyeball Shrine

Oh wow, do not mess with the Eelys that are guarding the Lutefisk Cube: they now spit acid at you if you are not in melee range. So, you have the choice of getting bit for 10 damage or having Minor Acid Burn stacked on you. Bring plenty of armor or bolts - and more Diggle Eggs. Also, named Unfriendly AI side-quest monsters are fun when your armor consists of a Leather Jerkin and two of the weakest shields in the game. Armourid has almost been reduced to a Tombstone three times now and I'm still on the first Floor...

Just ran into a friendly L'il Batty that greeted me with a cheerful (and simple) hello. I imagined him saying it like Simon from the Yogscast just before I kicked his skull in. I feel so heroic right now.

The Easy Target curse now lasts until the next time you are hit, instead of X number of turns. No more tripping them and then walking it off to avoid the negative effects.

Using WASD to move into a closed Chest does not attempt to open it. Let the clicking commence! Also, items are still spawning under Eyeball/Mellow/Monolith Shrines. They are still uncollectable (short of pushing the Shrine around with an ability and getting lucky).

Notes on the UI: Double-size Bottom Bar works. It goes off my the edges of my screen, but I'm only playing in 1024x768 so I expected that. All the Escape Menu checkboxes now have little ? Help Buttons that tell you exactly what the option does, and what it's currently set to. Very handy, and it finally explains how Auto-loot works in an easy-to-understand way, so kudos on that one. Disabling Click To Move now disables it completely: you can't take single steps with it on like you could in 1.0.5. Overall it's much more user-friendly. You get a Gold Star.

Well, that's all the time I have for now. I'll see if I uncover anything else tomorrow, if all goes well.