Can't step on traps

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Skyblade799, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Skyblade799

Skyblade799 Member

For some reason, when I click past a trapped tile, my character just walks around it instead of onto it, so I can't get hurt by traps except when trying to disarm them.

2. Derakon

Derakon Member

I'm not certain this is what is happening, but when you step onto a trap, you have a chance to not set it off, given by your Sneakiness value. The trap will "click" but nothing will happen. Very sneaky characters (like high-level mages) are almost immune to traps except when they're disarming them -- since a failure in disarming will always set the trap off.

3. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

I think he means that your character will path around it.

4. Skyblade799

Skyblade799 Member

Yeah I can't step on it, my character walks all the way around it instead. It's nice but.... I'm sure I should be able to step on them.

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm sure that this is by design and not a bug, although I agree that it's kind of odd. Generally, I get stung by traps when only when I move by keyboard (especially when they are obscured behind large objects such as vending machines, etc.), am disarming them, or when I step on them deliberately.

6. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, using Click to Move renders you 100% immune to all traps, ever. Your character will path around them flawlessly and if you try and force him to walk over one, he will refuse to do it.

I understand why they did this, but honestly, it trivializes a major game mechanic and at least 2 entire Secondary Stats (Trap Sight Radius, Trap Affinity).

To the OP: if you really want to walk over the trap anyway, use the Arrow Keys or WASD to force him to walk onto/over it, then go back to mouse moving if that's what you prefer. If you can, though, it's better to bypass the trap with something like Move in a Mysterious Way, Knightly Leap, Psychokinetic Shove, any Active Skill that moves things (there's one in Unarmed that I remember offhand), either of the 2 Mathemagic Teleport spells, or the Spatial Instability potion.

All that being said, if you can't move or bypass that trap, you can still step onto it and have a % chance to NOT trigger it, based on how high (or low) your Sneakiness stat is.

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

One thing they could do is make it dependent on trap sighting so if you can't see it, you won't path around it, and make trap sighting default to zero. That will give a further needed boost, for example, to the perception skill, and perception items (like the eye glasses).

Daynab, Marak and kuhchung like this.
  8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this, something has to be done with click to move because removing a big part of the game isn't fun. (As much as traps are annoying :))

9. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, I believe this is one of the big reasons why full-on Mage builds are so good: you can 100% ignore all Trap-related Stats and Skills because as long as you use Click-to-move when exploring new areas, and you'll never set a trap off, ever. I know I feel safe at playing at 2x speed because of this "feature": I can click across a room that's been cleared of monsters with no worries of taking any damage (unless I walk through Fire or Acid or clouds left over from spell effects, but that's my own fault).