Mac and Linux Status Update

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

So! We said we were putting up OS X and Linux builds by the end of October, if all went to plan. Here's where we are and what did not go to plan:

OS X is basically working, but I am muddling through a pile of graphical errors still. Blame Apple for this - the functionality that we need is only available as part of the OpenGL 3.2 core profile, which we're moving to. As it stands, you get black characters. We also have a couple of Lua scripting errors which only show up on OS X, which is exciting. A preliminary version of this should be pushed to the experimental build Soon (like, this weekend soon.)

Linux compiles, runs, and we can't ship it because we're having trouble getting our hacked up clang compiler toolchain on Linux to link versus the right version of glibc that will actually work on everybody's distros. (AKA typical Linux @#$@$###.) More updates on this as Ryan puzzles it out.

Exile and Euel Ball like this.
  2. Emir Fassad

Emir Fassad Member

Endeavor to persevere.

8^)

Exile likes this.
  3. Nicholas

I have now moved the interface code over to Core OpenGL 3.2 and am now dealing with the rest of the shaders. (This is a bit slow owing to my being sick over the weekend.)

Exile likes this.
  4. Nicholas

The game now runs and displays... a surprising quantity of things... under a core OpenGL 3.2 profile. You still get a lot of black rubbish and buildings don't display at all, though. Still, progress!

Exile likes this.
  5. Nicholas

And the game now runs in Core OpenGL 3.2 on my windows machine with (I think) no rendering artifacts - it just spazzes out, horribly, on the Mac because OpenGL's core implementation over there doesn't stick ARB on any of the function pointers. So somebody, I think, gets the brutal job of renaming all that...

Exile likes this.
  6. Boogdish

Boogdish Member

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm a linux gamer who's been reading the blogs for this game for two years and can't wait to finally play it!

Exile likes this.
  7. Nicholas

Exile likes this.
  8. Nicholas

I think we're now just down to "weird, shadow-y people."

Exile likes this.
  9. Wolg

Wolg Member

Feature?

Exile likes this.
  10. Nicholas

Still grinding away at this. We've removed any last non-OpenGL core 3.2 calls, so we are now linking against totally modern headers. This was... not a fun week, I'm not going to lie.

Exile and Euel Ball like this.
  11. Euel Ball

Euel Ball Member

My deepest sympathies! Have I mentioned how much I appreciate what you people are doing?

Exile likes this.
  12. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

That'll teach you for writing for Windows first.

Exile likes this.
  13. Nicholas

Linux build now gets as far as the loading screen before crashing loading the game.

Exile likes this.
  14. Krentz

Krentz Member

The frustration is palpable :( sorry for your troubles Nicholas. Your hard work is appreciated!

Exile likes this.
  15. Nicholas

So hey! If you grab the latest build of Clockwork Empires and you're on OS X, it will actually start up!

It gets to the main menu, and then spazzes out horribly with script errors once you start a game. To be honest, we're not totally sure why yet but we think it's a pretty small thing. (It also doesn't show up when we build it by hand on Micah's machine, only on the build machine. So somewhere, it's linking against the wrong library.)

It does, however, now all render correctly.

Exile likes this.
  16. Mikel

Progress is good. You may still beat Civ: Beyond Earth out the door on Mac. :)

Exile likes this.
  17. Mikel

To clarify... if I were to purchase this on Steam tonight I can attempt to play on my Mac, even though there are no indicators on Steam that Mac is supported?

18. cplr

cplr Member

Yes, under OS X CE shows up with an Install button in Steam.

19. Nicholas

We have now fixed the crazy "bad pairs error" issue with Lua. A new Mac build will be up sometime this weekend, once we get Andrew in here to re-assemble and re-set-up the build machines.

Exile likes this.
  20. Danl

Danl Member

Have the current version (1.0 in the launcher) running. Script errors - check. Trees not rendering, fish people are headless and nobody will eat anything, so games are a little short as it stands.