Any way to buy this game?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by speef, Oct 1, 2011.

1. speef

speef Member

Hey all!

I've been a rogue fan for years out of mind. This game sounds fun, but I don't see a way to get it other than pirating it or getting it from Steam.

I have a policy of not pirating games from small developers, and I wouldn't even allow Steam on an non-networked virtual machine on a Windows box (because even if I cut off its ability to infect my system, I'm still supporting Valve and their software distribution model, which is about as evil as stealing the game). This seems to leave me no option to play this game.

Surely there's some non-evil way to get a copy? Credit card/download? Ten bucks in an envelope, get a Steam-free CD in the mail? ;)

2. Scorcher24

Scorcher24 Member

Whats so evil about Steam?
    And there is no reason in the world that justifies stealing games. No matter if "small developers" or AAA Title.

3. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

The next release (1.0.6) which is coming next week will be adding a lot more distribution options in addition to a linux build.

4. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I don't like Steam either. I use it all the time, and have since HL-2 was released, but I've hated it from the start. Buggy, crashing piece of junk. Also, I like to play the games I buy hardcopy without the extra DRM layer (or online authentication). I suppose it is better than some DRM models, though most games seem to run Steam in addition to another DRM.

I hate piracy, but I really hate DRM. Both are scummy to the max.

This is why I prefer GOG.com. Yay, GOG!

5. Derakon

Derakon Member

Steam is the only DRM I've seen yet that provides a remotely decent value-add for accepting the DRM: namely, you can easily reinstall your game no matter where you are or what happened to the original copy. Most DRM tries to make you license the game, and then re-license it if you lose the hardcopy, which is beyond the pale.

6. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I find it strange that anyone would consider steam evil considering that steam provides a distribution platform that allows small independent games such as this to be successful. But anyway, keep on sticking it to the man.

IanExMachina and Marak like this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I don't like Steam myself (but only because I seem to be amongst the very few unlucky people to have it crashing all the damn time.) But they do have plans for more distribution options.

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm also a big fan of Steam -- so far it's the best type of DRM scheme that I've seen. I USED to also like Impulse, before Gamestop purchased it, but I have had so many problems with Gamestop (mostly their on-line store) that I refuse to use it now, especially since their forums are now dominated with problems.

In any case, I have NEVER had any problems using Steam. On the other hand, I have had MANY problems dealing with damaged or lost disks over the years, as well as other on-line game sellers. I guess ymmv, but in my experience, Steam is the best.

9. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Don't mistake my reasons, I don't "stick it to the man." I'm fine with businesses making as much money as they can. I don't like Steam for valid reasons. It's never been entirely stable, and I don't particularly like to be forced to update, among other things. But I suppose you weren't referring to me either.

I do like the wide availability of indie games.

In any case, I've invested far too much money to stop using it now.

@Haldurson: I've never had problems with GameStop. I usually go to the local stores though, and the local manager, Ethan, is pretty awesome. I've been using Impulse for a while now (since before it was Impulse). I don't have a lot of titles with it (may 20?), but I am satisfied with the service. Heck, at least it doesn't throttle my downloads like Steam does. It is selling Steam games now though, so it's kind of pointless sometimes.

BTW: I see nothing wrong with having the consumer repurchase the game if they lost the hardcopy. This goes with anything. I wouldn't go to Sears and demand a refund if I lost my fridge, after all. ;D

10. Warskull

Warskull Member

The patches being hosted by steam is also a big improvement over the days when you had to go hunt down a patch on your own. Game studios go out of business, patches become harder to find, you would end up having to use a shitty service like fileplanet or scour the web to find if a random fansite had it hosted. Game studios can easily go out of business in 5 years, get bought, or just stop supporting their game. Occasionally issues can pop-up with patches on steam, but overall the steam system is better.

11. Bhruic

Bhruic Member

You aren't forced to. It defaults to auto-updating, but you can go to the Properties page and turn off auto-updating for any game you wish.

12. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

I won't get too deep into anything about Steam, shall just say that they're the biggest distributor out there and they're the reason we've managed to reach the level of success we've had. It's been good. That said, we respect your position and will have something for it real soon ...

So, point format reply:
    - You can run the Dredmor from Steam without having Steam active in the background. Steam achievements and highscores won't work in this case, of course.
    - I'm pretty sure a Linux executable sort of thing will be distributed with the Steam version for Linux users who also have a Steam account. Or something.
    - We're expanding our distribution options a bunch very very soon, so watch the blog for an announcement.

Exile likes this.
  13. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

As with engineering any solution, there are always trade offs to any decision. There are no perfect solutions in the real world. So it's understandable someone might be peeved that updates are automatic for example, however it's difficult for us to know why such a decision was made. Anyway, people are free not to use a product or to use a competitor if they choose.

I just find it disgusting that someone would use the word 'evil' to describe steam. Especially when there is probably no other real viable way for a small game like this to be released, find a market, and deal with piracy. Personally I love steam because through them I have found several great indie games for very little. Such as terraria, this game, and the binding of isaac.

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There's a huge difference between a fridge and a program. When I buy a fridge, I am purchasing a material thing. When I 'buy' a program, I'm actually just being licensed for the rights to run that program on my PC for my personal use. And when I am talking about damaged disks, I am not just talking about disks that become damaged from use, but ones that are either non-functional right out of the box, or where the box actually has two copies of disk 2 instead of 1 of 1 and 1 of 2.

In any case, my problems with Gamestop in the past were based on:
    1. them shipping me the wrong product then arguing with me that that was what I ordered (I don't even own a console, why would I buy a game that I don't even like for an X-Box that I don't even own?) And then insisting that since it was MY mistake, I had to ship it back at my own expense.
    2. I placed an order, then they showed no record of that order on-line. I got frustrated with them and tried to cancel the order (couldn't on their website because their website showed no record of it lol). So I called them and cancelled. 2 weeks later, I received that order and was charged for it.

That was 2 mistakes out of 2 orders -- never used them before or since.

Note that back in the day, Gamestop stores could be fine, if you got the right person behind the counter. I have no problem with their in-store personel. It's the people on the phones that I wanted to strangle at times.

15. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I was actually referring to Derakon's post as far as the discs go. Hence lost, not damaged. Didn't mean to offend!

@Bhruic: Not with fresh installs. It immediately starts downloading any updates, so you'll often be sitting with a gig DL after installing from a disc. Pretty lame. Especially since Steam throttles all of my DLs to about 100-150kbps. Auto-updating makes sense for MP games, not necessarily for single player, though.

@Warskull: I've never had trouble finding patches, honestly. I've been gaming for a while now, so I definitely know how that goes. It's nice to have it readily available if you want it, though.

I also like the Steam cloud service. And I do think it's ridiculous to call Steam (Valve) evil. I don't like the program much, but it can be useful, and it certainly does fill a need, whether I like it or not. And as I said, I'm not stopping any time soon. I've got nearly 300 titles (sales, yay), and most hardcopies just install to Steam anyhow. I just like to complain about it. ;)

16. Scorcher24

Scorcher24 Member

Steam does not throttle any downloads. Not for me. It always is at the highest Download-Rate I can get. In fact, I am waiting for the patch where you can throttle the downloads :D. Try to change your content-server if you have issues.

@Updating
    I am happy about that. No more patch searching on google. Always newest version on my HDD. That rather positive.

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Considering the OP disappeared...I'm not going to say anything but "It's a trap!"
    Or a jerk. One or the other.

Calling Steam evil? Really? Murderers are evil. Steam is not.
    What could possess a person to call it evil.
    Yes, it has some issues sometimes. And once in a great while I get a bug in it, but they're all solved within a few minutes.
    Also, if Steam cuts your download speed to 150KB, you're either doing it wrong, or your internet speed is slow as hell.
    For me, I average around 1.2MB. Which is about 7-12 times faster than downloading from Fileplanet/Filefront/Mediafire/MegaUpload/etc/etc/etc.

18. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Or it could just be what I said. I have something like a 1.5 mbps down connection (~768 up?). It's the best I can get out in the country (using wireless, way better than satellite or dial-up). That said, Steam downloads are cut in half compared to say Impulse, or just downloading straight from most websites.

I'm not "doing it wrong," which is pretty much impossible. I've tried both local servers (Houston, and Dallas) and they are the same. I've tried other locations as well.

Even at work, where I have a 1 GIG per second connection, I usually don't get over 1 mbps. That is understandable, but I have gotten hundreds of megs per second from other websites before. I've had my download top out at a bit over 900 mbps at one time, but I think that was on a torrent, so it doesn't really count, imo.

Obviously, not everyone has the same experiences. To assume so is naive. I also realize it could be my ISP that is the source of the slower downloads, but it doesn't matter, as I consider it to be an incidental issue.

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, I wasn't trying to insult you. :)
    But I have no damn clue. I get better downloads from Steam than anything else on the Internet without fail.
    Sometimes it's below 1.2 MB. Heck, sometimes it drops to the 500 range, but it doesn't make any damn sense that it only gives you 100+ KB a sec. That's worse than ASDL. :) Heck, That's not even twice as good as a 56.6K. Something is going on with your connection. From some source.

I blame Ailens, quick, someone post a pic of that guy who blames Aliens on the "History" Channel show "Ancient Aliens."
    But yeah. Aliens.
    Or the Spy from Team Fortress 2. He's always sapping stuff. *I know nothing about TF2.

To the OP, if you ever come back, Drive by poster, Steam is not evil. It may be DRM kind of, but it's not as bad as Starforce. :)

20. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

You probably don't want to know about TF2, to be honest. ;)