Thoughts on 1.05 Anvil of Krong?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by rederick, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

2. 123stw

123stw Member

18*[(1.5*5/7)/2]*[(3*2/7)/2] = (18/2)*[(1.5*5/7)]*[(3*2/7)]

You can divide both the total positive and negative by 2 before or after subtracting them, or you can interpret that half the anvils lead to meaningless stats (both positive and negative). They will be the same 1.93 bonus as the average.

Archaeology cost a skill tree and 3 levels. If it's not giving you some real good stats or activation skills, it's not worth the 3 levels. Obviously 3 levels isn't worth another 1.93 average stats with added risks, nor can "exp skill" give you back more than your 1 end level. so the next question is how much can you actually reroll since 1.05.

Exactly why the pro - con is almost 0 and why it's a unnecessary risk. It's like throwing coins with equal payoffs/penalties, it's a gamble, not an investment.

Besides, I always advocate burning anvils on crossbows for process skills. I am just against actually using real items on them, or to "expect" good outcomes.

3. Derakon

Derakon Member

Let's say you have a more or less unlimited supply of potential equipment items that you don't really care about. Most characters don't have two awesome rings and an awesome amulet, for example. Then your potential outcomes, regardless of their weighting, are:

* Get some terrible penalty on the item. It's no longer usable, so you're out whatever mildly useful traits were on the item. Discard it and equip a different non-awesome item in its place (or leave the slot empty until you find/make such an item)
    * Get some penalty you don't care about on the item. Eh, whatever, you don't care about that penalty. Leave the item on.
    * Get a benefit you don't care about. See above.
    * Get some awesome boost on the item. Great!

Put another way, the potential cost to Kronging something is losing something you don't care about; the potential benefit is getting an item you do care about. So they're still worth using, just never on any items you care about.

4. 123stw

123stw Member

This is true if you got unlimited replacements. Those who use smith will find their thorn ring or mana ring hard to replace, but ammy and xbows are open game for most characters.

5. Bhruic

Bhruic Member

Well, there are some other factors to take into consideration. For example, you can't have an item do negative damage. So if an item rolls a negative modifier for a damage type that it doesn't do, that value gets "wiped" (but is still counted).

Off the top of my head, the chances of getting any particular roll is:
    16/82 - Damage
    16/82 - Resistance
    18x2/82 - Secondary Stats (x2 indicates they are twice as likely to get rolled as other stats)
    6/82 - Primary Stats
    6/82 - "Extra" Primary Stats (that aren't counted towards the total)

6. Godwin

Godwin Member

Hmm just experienced an anvil only giving a very slight bonus the second time I used it, is there a max total bonus or was it just random?
    Also this is 1.06 of course, but I didn't want to open a new thread. I also read this but didn't really get the calculations.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Just random as far as I know.

8. Godwin

Godwin Member

ok thanks, guess I can freely Krong the same item multiple times then (well, there's curses, but apart from that) ^^
    Been having a lot of fun with the game again, since the roleplay actually. Had some other games come out so hadn't played a lot last month.