How to steal from Brax - without him beeing angry!

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by OTTOPI, Sep 20, 2011.

1. OTTOPI

OTTOPI Member

What do you need:
    Knightly Leap
    Mana
    Mana potions - LOTS of them.

Step 1: Go into a Brax Shop and steal all you want
    Step 2: Teleport outside, DONT move.
    Step 3: Keep teleporting, dont move, just teleport and try to get into a Staircase to get down or up, or try to get into the next Brax shop.

Warning: The second you move on the same floor the message will pop up and you have to run like hell.

2. QuickForYa

QuickForYa Member

Why on earth you want to steal from Braxy? He usually sell crap anyway. :D

3. OTTOPI

OTTOPI Member

If you conquered Level 1 and only got crappy Items Brax is a good way to prepare yourself for the next level :)

QuickForYa likes this.
  4. moof

moof Member

Brax can be a life saver floors 1-4 ish.

Besides, who else is going to buy all your trash loot?

5. Derakon

Derakon Member

I discovered a bug awhile back -- I had 1 bolt of squid in my inventory, I tried to buy two bolts of squid from Brax, and he refused saying I didn't have enough money (evidently trying to charge twice the price because there were 2 bolts in the stack, despite the stack price already being for 2 bolts...whatever). I picked the bolts up. They merged with the 1 in my inventory. Now it became impossible to leave the store without leaving my original bolt behind, because Brax thought all three were his.

So I teleported out (Move in Mysterious Ways). He didn't care a bit. All of the other Braxen on the level were blocking their store exits, sure, but the Dread Collectors weren't around.

Maybe you need a longer-range teleport than Knightly Leap?

6. bleh..

bleh.. Member

thats because once his stacks merge to yours, it becomes yours. If u simply picked up any item from his shop and dropped it back down, he would stop blocking the doorway.

You can also lutefisk any and all items he has with no consequences. You can grind any grindable stuff he has. You can throw his bombs and throwing items. You can temporarily "borrow" his epic weapons to kill stuff u lure into his shop. I havnt tried it, but i have a feeling that using translation skill on his artifacts will make them yours.

Basically after you drink/cube/or merge his items, he will still be blocking the door. But if u just pick up some item of his and drop it, he will move.

Yea brax is pretty retarded lol

7. QuickForYa

QuickForYa Member

Well, true but recently started new character on Rogue difficulty and when i found first shop on Floor 1, he sold "Embossed Serpentine Platemail" for 53 k zorkmids lol. I only got almost 2 k at start...

8. moof

moof Member

I thought he didn't have anything good to steal?

9. Bluerps

Bluerps Member

Brax often sells crap, but at times he has some useful stuff, even if it's just an ingot of steel or a BoMD. On occasion I even found some really powerful items in his shop, which were better than my current equipment.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Brax's items average at crap on higher levels, but the average increases dramatically as you go down, plus you can get the occasional uber item. The rumor (and it was nothing but a rumor) that Brax never has anything good to sell was started by unlucky people who never played the game enough find that out. It's equivalent to the rumor about lutefisk cubes and so on -- you get unlucky and, yes, you'll never find anything good. It's the luck of the draw.

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yup, what Haldurson said. There's always a smallish chance of getting items not related to your floor (I think it's 10 or 20%).

12. OTTOPI

OTTOPI Member

Can someone test teleporting out of the shop, dropping the Items, then moving, then picking back up and then moving again? Would like to see if something happens...

13. Sparksol

Sparksol Member

I have tested it. After dropping the item outside the store, he moves back to normal. Pick it up again, though, and the enforcers appear immediately

14. 123stw

123stw Member

Most stuff you get out of lutefisk is bad. If you actually get 500 into all the lutefisk you gonna get a few good items, but it also takes a lot of time and isn't for everyone.

Shop is similar, most sucks, but each run has enough stores that you gonna run into at least 1 or 2 good things. Except here there are hardly any time investment at all.

Anvil though is entirely different, because there is a risk in rendering item unusable, burning them on disposable (examples: crossbows/rings/amulet/craft/duplicate) would be preferred. I just burn them all on crossbows usually for a chance of a good process (and 0 risk) rather than some random stats and high risk.