Hi, I am trying to Play Dungeon Siege again, and flickering in game is going to give me seizures...

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by DavidB1111, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Seriously, my problems in games is getting stupid here...
    A year or so ago, Dungeon Siege worked perfectly for me, and now, it's like flicker city.
    I've done all the possible solutions, and they swear they all work, but they don't.

I've changed the driver in the video test to the one which doesn't have tvl or tvt after it. I've switched it to bilinear filtering in the game, I've typed in the secret command bltonly=true, still flickers, just not as much.

I can't play a game if it's going to give me a epileptic seizure. :(

I just don't understand why all possible solutions fail completely, when they are the only solutions at all. :(
    If anyone can help me figure out what I may have missed, please let me know.

I'll even check to see if my drivers are out of date somehow, and that magically causes this to fail.
    But a year ago, it works perfectly, no bugs, nothing. So, what the heck changed to make it attempt to kill me?

I want to play Dungeon Siege again, it's awkward enough only 30% of all mods remain for it, but at least I can find some of them, just not all the ones I liked to play.
    Seriously, who decided to eat the Talon's world map from the internet completely. :(

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sadly, this is the future. Get used to disappointment. It will be your constant and faithful companion if you enjoy older games. You are not alone.There are plenty of good games I wish could be played, but they either do not work for a technical reason, or resources that were once easy to find have ceased to exist.

I looked around a bit for Talon's World maps and found nothing... :(

Kazeto likes this.
  3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Yes, but what's weird, is from what I've read and seen, the flickering is supposed to be stopped by doing all the things I've done. I guess later when I'm not half asleep, I'll go and check my video card drivers, and update them, and see if that makes it work.
    THen I think there's one last thing to do.
    Something with making it only take one core.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If you have an AMD/ATI GPU you should make a custom profile for the game. Leave each and every setting as it was, except turn off Morphological Filtering entirely. I have no idea how or why it works, but this is something that old games throw a tantrum about and have all manner of problems when it is enabled.

I am sure there is a Nvidia equivalent of this, but I have no idea what it is called.

In fact, now that I think of it, due to the age of the game, you can safely disable tesselation too. I can write up step by step instructions if you need them, but I suspect you know how to do these things already if you have an AMD/ATI GPU.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, I have Nvidia, so that won't help, sadly.
    Keep looking on your end, and I'll keep looking on my end, if I don't get distracted by Din's curse again.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Aegho

Aegho Member

I've had trouble running older games as well. In some I'm experiencing some ridiculous lag for no apparent reason. Like the Alien Shooter / Zombie Shooter franchises. I could run them fine on my last machine, and the one before, but current one they lag like a mofo. I'm going to have to reassemble my last machine(core2duo 2.4ghz, geforce 8800GTS) for older games I think. I've got an even older machine in a box somewhere too(800mhz, win98se).

7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've had some odd graphical/UI problems trying to play Arena and Daggerfall.

Have you tried lowering your resolution and/or refresh rate?

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

My normal desktop resolution? OR the resolution in game?
    Because I don't think I can go lower than what it is right now, on my desktop, because it's a LCD, and the Dungeon Siege apparently has a way to increase the resolution past 1024 x 768
    I don't know what the current refresh rate, but I guess I could try to see if that will fix the flickering. Does anyone know a good rate for Dungeon Siege?

Seriously though, I'm just confused why it won't work now, when it worked a long time ago on this computer. I really don't know what to do, but I'll try anything to fix the weird epileptic seizure fun times. :(

OmniaNigrum likes this.