Any chance we could get custom avatars?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by missmayhem, Jul 14, 2011.

1. missmayhem

missmayhem Member

This game sounds like something both me and my fiance would absolutely fall in love with. However, she refuses to play games like this that don't have female avatars. While I am a lot more flexible when it comes to avatar gender, it would certainly be my preference to be able to choose as well.... especially when the game perspective is such that Im going to be staring at my avatar front and center for the entirety of my time playing.
    And to be honest, if I really have to play with a male character, I would *greatly* prefer he not have 3-inch thick furry eyebrows... I really love the art style you have going on in this game, too!!! It makes it all the more frustrating to see no character customization options.
    Its clear a lot of time was spent on icons and other incidental art that incorporates this main character guy, so I guess it would be a big task to try and work in a female option... But I can tell you for certain that you will miss out on quite a few girl gamers by not having such an option, especially in this sort of rpg/roguelike style game.

Maybe just a modified version of the same art that just adds long hair, etc to what already exists?
    Would the devs be okay with the player community working on art packs/mods? Not sure how the game is coded, but if possible, I know I for one would be interested in working on such a project!

2. Selei

Selei Member

I dont think they will be able to implement new avatars very easily Maya.

Check out the newer posts (specifically the one responding to the USERVOICE entries.)
    http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/

3. missmayhem

missmayhem Member

Thanks a bunch for the link. That is certainly disappointing to hear... this game looks amazing! And I have a lot of respect for all the work that went into animating.

For others interested in such a feature, in the link above, read the "Feature Request FAQ and Other Nonsense" section. There is a detailed response to players asking for visible equipment. This is pretty closely related, to be sure... Unfortunately it sounds like it would be a massive undertaking, even bigger than I had originally presumed from watching TB's WTF is video. :(

However, there is a glimmer of hope. At the end of that paragraph discussing visual equipment changes, there is the statement, "I would, however, like to get at least a sprite for a female player character in an expansion."

So, can anyone explain to me, does this mean it would be more feasible for the devs to create a female avatar than to show equipment change sprites? It sounds like the latter would be next to impossible... but they dont really get into detail on the female sprite thing... Is this really something that might happen, assuming the game continues to sell? Would it be the sort of thing that would just be included in a free content update (a la Terraria)?

4. tomgezen

tomgezen Member

I also bought this immedietly after watching 20 minutes of TB play it. I'm a guy but I support this because the only excuse devs usually give for genderlock is STRONG STORY. but in a roguelikes that doesn't seem to be an issue. Maybe they'd need to change the intro screen like they do in torclight?

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

A female avatar is coming. -- N.

6. Animation

Animation Member

Nicholas,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am wondering if you are a developer or affiliated with D.O.D somehow? I am wondering if your comment is conjecture or not. I would love a female sprite. Its the only thing I am missing from the game really.

Thanks!

7. tiptoes

tiptoes Member

Just fyi, the post linked did say this:
    >> I would, however, like to get at least a sprite for a female player character in an
    >> expansion.