Dredmor 1.1.4 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Nicholas, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MythArcana

MythArcana Member

The Desura version is still stuck on v1.1.2. Here we go again. Any chance we can get some of the action, too?

Kazeto likes this.
  2. MethDamon

MethDamon Member

Whenever I use my scroll wheel, the game crashes...

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That is because you have no active skills, I reckon. They already know about it.

Wootah likes this.
  4. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Do you know what the base game misses imo?
    Focusing on those points it got in early stages: use for grills, dirty patches, Lutefisk Statues and usability of Inconsequentia quests, since they go old very quickly.
    Even monster zoos sometimes feels inconclusive, even if they are still a match (for not-focused aoe characters).

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I dread every Monster Zoo after the first one I do each play-through
    A few times when my save-games bug out right after a Monster Zoo and I have to do it again, I just delete the save, I can't be bothered

Not that Monster Zoos are boring or anything (they usually make for interesting plays), but they do tend to drag on

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

They can get a little tedious if you have a heavily defensive build and/or lack decent AOE items and skills, which is why I sometimes like to change up my normal tendency to gravitate towards melee characters and play a powerhouse mage now and again. Sometimes it just feels good to see all those monsters dying at the same time.

One thing I do to cope with monster zoos is that I'll stop playing shortly after getting to a new level, and leave finding the new level's monster zoo for my next session. It means that sometimes I only do a level a day or so, which may seem slow. But if the game is exceptionally interesting to me, I may do 2 or more at a time (especially if I'm playing with NTTG).

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I just pushed a small update to fix the scrollbar crash, and to get the Linux build up to date. No version # change.

Please let me know if there are any new problems.

8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Also, we sent new builds to the Humble Store. I'm trying to remember *how* to update Desura... a process that has apparently not gotten easier after their sale to Linden Labs.

9. rydash

rydash Member

Just posting to say I don't yet see the update on Steam; unless there's a way to force it to check, I still have the scrollwheel-crashy version. And I might just be impatient.

EDIT: If you are in the "Beta" branch on Steam, you'll need to opt out to get the update. (Thanks, Nicholas, for the help!)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  10. Wootah

Wootah Member

Cool! Amazing that you find a way to update stuff when being so busy with clockwork empires.
    I still play the game quite regularly. Still build combinations that are so much fun and completely unexplored.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

As I already asked, though I've got the 1.1.4 beta, somehow i've reentered the Beta version. Do I need that one to play those days, or it's just an error I've made?
    I'd prefer an official answer from official guys, thanks.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

If you're talking about the title on Steam changing to beta that happened to be as well. Go to the game properties and unsubscribe from it. There's no change, it's probably just a Steam update that makes games display it now.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Yeah I know how to remove it, what i'm asking is: the game actually is in a beta or in a complete state? If the last, i'll remove the beta subscription.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

There is no official current beta (or unofficial. Or anything). The last patch - 1.1.4., I think - is the current one and was officially released some time ago. I don't think Nicholas or anyone has said anything about future patches, either.

Kazeto and Vitellozzo like this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Thanks you too. I wonder why I've put my game in the beta service even after the update. Oh well, if Nicholas is gonna say something I'm all ears, anyway I'll live as anything has happened.

16. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

When we work on a new patch it'll likely go into the beta subscription, but for now there's nothing there, no.

17. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

dungeons of dredmor/expansion/game/monDB.xml [: line 336]
    HTML:
    <damage crushing="8" acidic="8" toxic="0" conflagratory="0" />
    This line (re)sets the damage values for the Acidic Slick, which is a child of the Slick. This suggests that submonsters inherit stats from its parent monster.

-

After searching the main monsterDB.xml this seems normal, but it's only used on specific groups of monsters. In some groups the damage is even specified multiple times:
    Pumpkinn, The Great Pumpkinn and Rotten Pumpkin all have the same <damage slashing="8"/>, even though it should've been specified only once, in the Pumpkinn parent(?)

-

There's certain monsters that specify already inherited damagetypes with exactly the same value they get in the parent monster:
    Several children of the Diggle parent monster have <damage slashing="1" or piercing="2"> or both, even though the parent specifies this already.

-

This is the same with the Blobby group. In this group we do however see another weird thing;
    dungeons of dredmor/game/monDB.xml [: line 152]
    HTML:
    <damage crushing="2"/>
    This line doesn't overwrite its parents' <damage crushing="1" acidic="2"/>. It seems very weird for a Sanguiblobby to do acidic damage. The Blob of Corruption also has this acidic="2" inherited, if that's how it works, just like the Animated Oil and Animated Blood, and the Summon Slime. The rest of the Blobby group DO HOWEVER reset the acidic="2" (!):
    HTML:
    <damage crushing="1" voltaic="2" acidic="0"/>
    The Blobby has a resistance against acidic too, and this resistance is only once reset, on the Sanguiblobby. The rest of the slimes would supposedly have an unwanted acidic resistance of 3.

-

Conclusion: Help me Obi Nicholas you're my only hope

Actual Question: Is damage (or any monster stat) inherited from parent monsters or not. If so, you've missed a few monsters. If not, you've got some (deprecated) syntax problems in the monDB.xml

Vitellozzo, Wootah and Kazeto like this.
  18. Ghira

Ghira Member

I bought the game via desura but am happy to give up on desura if it will get me 1.1.4.

I don't have steam and don't think I want it. If I buy the game again via the "humble widget" will that get me 1.1.4? What will happen re future patches if any? I don't mind paying $9.95 for the whole thing via whatever a "humble widget" is.

I am wondering why I have desura. It took me quite a while to understand what it was so I suspect if I'd been able to get away without it when I first got dredmor I would have done. I realise I am probably coming across as a bit lost but that's probably because I am.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm going to start in the middle and expand outwards, so bear with me.

The Humble Widget is a side-function of the Humble Store, which is run by the Humble Bundle people. It's one of the most popular and legitimate gaming stores for indies - arguably more so than Steam, and certainly more so than Desura. If you're not too desperate for 1.1.4, you could always hold out for a sale (and there will be one at some point). As for patching, I've never really patched a game via Humble but it's fairly simple as it does have a little "New!" bit of text that pops up if the game files get updated.

20. Ghira

Ghira Member

I'm not _desperate_ for 1.1.4, but 9.95 is really not a problem. It's not as though I'll need to fire the third under-butler or have my polo ponies go without organic oats or something. Thanks. Maybe the "humble" option didn't exist in 2012?