[Achievement Exploit] Easily obtain 7 Max Skill achievements

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Hahnsoo, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hahnsoo

Hahnsoo Member

Like anyone really cares about Steam achievements, but this is pretty straightforward and easy to do. I used Permadeath... not sure if this is necessary for the bug.

Steps:
    1) Create a new character with any 7 skills. For this bug, we will use Maces and Swords as an example.
    2) Gain a level, but do not invest the skill point (cancel the skill point selection screen).
    3) Repeat step 2 until you reach level 6.
    4) Proceed down a staircase, prompting the autosave.
    5) Press K to bring up the skill selection screen.
    6) Max out the Swords skill with the saved 5 points.
    7) Press ESC to bring up the options menu.
    8) Select Just Quit.
    9) Confirm Yes, Yes, OK to return to the main menu.
    10) Select Load Game.
    11) Select Automatic Save.
    12) The save game loads.
    13) Repeat steps 4 to 6 for the Maces skill.
    Bug: Both the Swords and Maces achievements are unlocked.

By loading the autosave (possibly any save) repeating steps 4-12, you can just reinvest the saved 5 skill points in all 7 of your skill selections to max them out, thus earning the appropriate achievements. I'm not sure this is working as intended, but I thought I'd mention it. If it is, well, easy cheevos for people, I guess.

Platform: PC, Steam
    Specs: Core Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, nVidia GTS 450 graphics card, running at 2560x1024 resolution on two monitors.

2. curious nu

curious nu Member

This is a problem with achievements in general. There's always some way to game the system. A lesser form of this would be to do exactly as you did except put the skill points into a skill line immediately; you'd have to repeat a bunch, but so what? Or you could play without permadeath, and not even have to rely on autosave, because the game doesn't care about the difficulty level for those achievements. "But ah!" you say, "What if you only got the achievement for a skill line for BEATING the game? On Going Rogue? With permadeath?!" Big freakin' deal. Most builds right now only really rely on 2-3 lines, max, which means you've got plenty of "dump skills" to choose from that you'd get the achievement for without having to really worry about what you chose.

tl;dr achievements are on the honor system (because you can certainly hack all this stuff anyway, certainly easily moddable) and it is not worth worrying about how other people are getting them

3. 123stw

123stw Member

Well this is a single player game, take it for what it is. Anything that is both processed and saved on the client side has no means of preventing cheat.

xml modification, memory hack, hard quit and reload, you name it, it can be done.

4. Magote

Magote Member

This is not a bug imho, considering many games have this problem. You can "achieve" things without an effort if you know how to exploit the game's system. It's up to the player to do it in a regular way or by cheating.

5. Hahnsoo

Hahnsoo Member

It may or may not be intended. If it wasn't intended, then it's a bug. A low priority bug that no one cares about (much like a lot of spelling errors in games), but it's still a bug. On consoles, it could actually turn out to be a more serious bug because they have strict guidelines on content submission for trophies/achievements. On the PC, no one cares.