Is this Warrior/Rouge Build viable?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Conan's Might, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Conan's Might

Conan's Might Member

Hi guys,

I'm still pretty new to DOD so looking for some advice on a build I have in mind. I have in my minds eye a swashbuckling, dual wielding, rouge type, berserker build!

Skills -

Swords
    Dual Wielding
    Berserker
    Artful Dodger
    Perception
    Burglary
    Assassination

Is this build likely to work with high dodge, crit, accuracy and counter? Or will I just get minced in melee? Should I take Archery and Tinkering over dual wielding + berserker to make somewhat viable over melee and ranged?

Thanks in advance for all your advice :)

2. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

The problem with combining a Rogue character with anything that involves continuous melee is that the type of armor you'd want really brings down your :nimbleness:. Also, the higher your dodge chance, the less you will actually counter-attack, since dodges are rolled before counters. Artful Dodger does have that passive that has a chance to counter when you dodge, though, so that drop in counter will probably be off-set.

Anyway, the real test is in the playing, of course! Go nuts :p

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

If you are new to the game, it's great to try different things, and see how well they work for yourself. It matters more that you enjoy the type of build that you've come up with. Almost any build is 'viable' if you play carefully and have a little bit of luck. If you are having fun, don't throw in the towel. Just give it a try.

I will say that although others might disagree, that for me, dodge or counter builds (or rogue-builds in general) tend to be a bit more challenging because there's not as much in the way of really good gear that will support that kind of build. But you should play the kind of build that you like. I personally, have not had much luck with roguish builds I've tried in the past. But others will have different experiences.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I've had some success with a dodge build. You just have to gear AA like everyone else in the early game or you'll get eaten alive before you can get a decent dodge or counter chance.

And it's 'rogue' by the way, not 'rouge'. Rouge is makeup. Not trying to be a grammar Nazi it's just one of the those things that bugs me... like people not using turn signals.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I don't see what's wrong with a rouge melee build. Probably involves the Communism skill tree.
    har har I'm so funny

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I wonder why no one has come up an actual 'Rouge' mod with items such as Rouge, eyeliner, lipstick and so on (or maybe a Rouge class with appropriate makeup skills)

Kazeto likes this.
  7. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

It is rather surprising that it's not lampooned more considering how common the mistake is.

8. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

I have to say that I have literally never seen the typo before
    Then again, I didn't see it here until you mentioned it, either

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the time it wasn't a typo, judging by the spelling and language skills of so many on the internet (heck, I had a boss that I had to regularly proofread his e-mails for him in spite of the fact that I myself would never dare brag about my own grammar and spelling skills). I think that maybe it started as a typo, but after seeing it so often misspelled that it's gained traction as a preferred spelling. Besides, "Rogue" itself, has an unconventional spelling. I think if you were just learning English for the first time, that you'd expect it to be spelled something like "Rowg" , and "Rogue" to be pronounced "Roe-gue. or possibly Rah-gue. English is a strange and often confusing language.

Kazeto likes this.
  10. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

That much is true. English is a language with so many exceptions that the rules are rendered useless. Rote memorization all the way through.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Mabeso

Mabeso Member

It seems to be a nice effective build. Althought I would probably take Daggers along with Swords and Dual Wield for the majestic 100% counter. Ranged is not really needed if your counter and dodge are good enough. In DoD you have four major enemies: melee, traps, magic and your own stupidity. Melee in this build seems pretty much covered, Perception for traps is so-so compared with Tinkering but it will work and a bit of anti-magic would be sorta nice if you can squeeze it in (Emomancy, Magic Training or Magical Law). Don't listen to me too much though, I usually go for overkill which is a somewhat bad habit.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    Kazeto likes this.
  12. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Others have said it - but I'll say it too! This is a very, very viable build. Take advantage of the fact that you don't use :magic_power: at all, and wear lots of heavy armor!

Eventually (level 15+) you can rely on your dodge & counter to defend yourself. But at the beginning of the game you need to emphasize :armor_asorb: and :block: armor - just like straight-up warrior characters. Prioritize extra HP where you can, as well. First three points should almost certainly be Burglary, Swords, and Dodge. You have very few really critical skill actions to look forward to, so probably finish Burglary and Swords (and maybe Dodge) before you ever touch Assassination, Perception, Dual Wielding, or Berserker. (One level of Berserker earlier, maybe.)

A possible adjustment might be to add Tinkering - I'd probably lose Assassination to take it. Perception helps give you things to make stuff out of, which is great with crafting skills. Tinkering is also the skill that makes you a good archer - archery is pretty bogus, as "more arrows" is pretty much always more significant than a few extra damage. If you add Tinkering, that becomes another early priority, for the great :trap_level: bonuses. If you can't disarm most traps, time to take another level!

With this build I would grab a Poncho with No Name, and Parachute Pants - but probably not wear them for a good while. Put them on Krong alters if you can - especially if you have extras!

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Looking good; the only advice I'd give here is to watch your synergies, because a few of your skills add a lot to things you don't have. In particular, Perception. Perception adds to range on distance attacks (you have none), give you common crafting components (you have no craft skills), and boosts your EDR and dodge, which is good -- but you can get vaguely similar results from any given weapon skill (at least in terms of EDR bonus). More importantly, a skill that adds healing or more varied offensive options could do a lot more for you than just edge you that much closer to 100 dodge. I'd seriously consider Communism or Battle Geology in that spot.

Kazeto likes this.