Best craftable axe is in.. Tinkering?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by curious nu, Sep 10, 2011.

1. curious nu

curious nu Member

Harsh, man. =/

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Hopefully some better smithed axes will be in the next update. I'm not aware if Axe has been buffed at all in 1.05, but in 1.03 I thought it was the worst of the weapon specializations.

3. neocow

neocow Member

you are pretty much guaranteed to find at least ONE fine steel axe during your game >.>

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well a fine steel axe or two may get you past the first 4 or 5 levels but much beyond that and you'll be hurting.

5. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

@curious nu

Excuse me, are you messing with the Clockwork Chainaxe?

Because I don't like it one bit.

It's one of the most thematically awesome and powerful items in game, along with the power limbs.

6. zaratustra

zaratustra Member

You can always -find- these items, you know.

7. curious nu

curious nu Member

Psiweapon: nope, not messing with it. It's totally fine AND fun. It's just weird that not only is it a powerful axe, but the only other comparable axe is an artifact find-only axe (which does something like 10 slashing and 10 aethereal, I think). Chainaxe clocks in at 24 slashing I think, and the next best one is in Smithing and tops out at 17 or 18. It's not like the parts needed for the chainaxe are hard to find, either, so it's just.. odd.

I don't know what the damage penalty is for an unskilled weapon.. I guess you could have an interesting character that was Axe / Crossbow / Tinkering based (and probably something like Viking Magic to mesh with Crossbow; "on hit" element effects, like the first Viking spell, only lose a charge when you hit with a melee attack, but the damage is usable on every ranged or thrown attack as well, for "free").

8. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

:)

Don't take it too bad, I just love the steam/clockwork stuff and I WANT MOAR. I even made a request at the "uservoice" thing for that.

Yes, the chainaxe is 24 slashing.

Yeah, the problem is that it's mostly a one-of-a-kind weapon (unless you make two XD) but I think the solution would be adding MOAR clockwork stuff to go with it.

9. Marak

Marak Member

Clockwork. The best way to add technology to your medieval setting.

10. Derakon

Derakon Member

Meanwhile, I feel like steampunk is getting overplayed and would rather not see it take over yet another perfectly functional magical setting. I think there's enough room for one steampunk item per equipment slot (so we're missing helm, body armor, and boots, assuming the jetboots don't count), but that seems like quite enough.

There's nothing inherently wrong with steampunk; just it, like zombies, ninjas, cyberpunk, etc. has a tendency to take over and make every setting the same.

11. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

@Derakon

Oh don't worry!

The "one steampunk item per slot" is enough for me! And you can count the jetboots, yeah, and even the cybertronic amulet!

It's just that I love the tech looks.

And, they're going to do mod support ;)

12. Godwin

Godwin Member

Not really a fan of the clockwork stuff too much. I mean, the amount in the game right now is fine, but, not too much.
    I did laugh just now when I found the overclockworked power limb recipe :p It's level 6 recipe, I wonder how I will ever make it...
    But yeah, good thing about this game is playing it without spoilers, trying to find everything out myself ^^

About axes, I dunno, I would hope there's also a nice good axe in the smithing tree, something comparable. I did find the Broader Axe lately, it was a level 5 recipe, intend to make it.

13. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

For a Tinker it's possible to make level 6 items. Given you don't want spoilers I'll leave it at that ;). I had to figure it out to make a Clockwork Bolt Thrower.

My current build utilizes dual Clockwork Chainaxes: Axes, Smithing, Tinkering, Burglary, Archeology, Assassination, and Dual Wielding. What's sad is last game I found an artifact Flail of Pleiades. Aside from it's normal stats, it was +3 Righteous and a whopping +17 Necromantic. Even WITH the Bad Weapon penalty it was better than a Chainaxe in one hand. Gotta be the sickest weapon I've seen so far.

14. Godwin

Godwin Member

+17 :eek: holy matrimony!
    And thanks for not spoiling.

I just came upon a tinkerer's goggles with one of my chars (not the one with the limb or even tinkering :p) so I now know that's the way to do it :)

This forums needs working tags ^^