Starfarer - Starsector no more????

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by arcibalde, Jan 8, 2013.

1. arcibalde

arcibalde Member

What happen to this game? I can't access any of game pages (forum, blog) today? David?? (one who did artwork for Starfarer)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

1. It had to be renamed, so "Starsector" it is. Best compromise between similarity to Starfarer, something no one else owns already, and something that fit the content of the game.
    2. The fractalsoftworks webpage had a bit of a DNS hiccup but according to Alex via twitter it should all be good now.

4. Daynab

I'm guessing it had to do with the Starfare game also about spaceships? I was a little confused back in the day when I kept looking at the wrong game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. arcibalde

arcibalde Member

Nah everything is ok. It work now :) Site was unreachable couple of hours, i just panicked. :) This is so awesome game :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

The game is looking great by the way! I can definitely see your influence in some of the ships, DBaumgart! You have made my birthday a joyous one despite my broken leg. :D

7. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Hmmm and there is a linux distro? And it's a single player space exploration game? Dang it looks pretty nice too, I'm definitely going to have to pick this up.

Heh, it just so happens I am currently stuck using a 3 year old netbook right now that is running ubuntu. When my laptop fizzled out for the last time I decided to replace it with a shiny gaming desktop. Then I decided that I really don't like using a desktop anymore. And since I just bought a new phone and tablet my wife won't let me get a new laptop. So I'm stuck using an old POS laptop.

Edit: The developers are going to find out that software piracy is nothing to laugh at. While we all hate DRM we also don't pay for games if we don't have to. Human nature sucks.

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Your choice, but do not say that stuff here. Thanks.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There's always going to be a small minority people who pirate games, DRM or not. And I appreciate that people who make games ought to be paid for it and pirating is a crime against those people. Piracy CERTAINLY is a huge problem outside of the U.S. and Europe. In some parts of Asia, for example, copyright laws are simply not given the appropriate respect. However, as those nations have started to build their own software and movie industries and are moving towards more of a free market economy, the culture has begun to change. These things take a lot of time.

But, I'm skeptical about piracy being such a huge problem within the U.S. -- there's a lot of evidence against that belief.

That said, the fact is that people who make games that do not have DRM still make money, particularly if those games are actually good. I remember stardock developers (who generally don't use DRM) talking about their experiences and explaining the reasons why they felt that they have not been victimized so much by piracy was that their games appealed more to a western market, and less towards the Asian market, where piracy is more often accepted as normal. I don't know if they are correct, but the facts do support their argument.

10. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

It may be a fact that "people who make games that do not have DRM still make money" but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm sure some people who make games without DRM still make money, but how much does piracy cut into their profits and how many without DRM don't make money?

Anyway, I doubt the gaming industry has moved towards a model that requires users to be logged in because the data suggests piracy doesn't cut into their profits.

11. Daynab

This game's really cool and the creators are really nice so go buy it and talk about it in this thread instead of DRM!

12. Musaab

Musaab Member

Starsector is awesome :)

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

I remember this game really tanking my old win xp, Core2Duo 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, GeForce 8800GTS computer...

Seems like it no longer has a demo though. Used to be you could play up to a point for free.

14. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Heck, I can run the game on my crappy old macbook pro. It sounds like there's an actual error occurring if it's tanking that computer. If you were to play it and saw such poor performance I'd suggest reporting it to Alex as he's very good about taking care of such problems.

Also, I don't believe there was ever a Starsector demo. /Possibly/ he didn't charge for a very early alpha before going paid at some point, but I don't actually remember as it's been like 2+ years of development.

Kazeto likes this.
  15. Aegho

Aegho Member

Derp.

I was thinking of Gimbal.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013