Dredmor iPad Port Official Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Aronnax

Aronnax Member

I'd love to see this game on a tablet, I feel like turn based games are a perfect fit for touch screens because the controllable pace allows for complex games on the (limited) touch interface. Also, Dreadmor on the go would be fantastic. I currently use a android based tablet so I'd love to see it there but I could probably bring myself to spring for a used ipad if it'd let me play a game this great.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. MajorMajorx2

MajorMajorx2 Member

I agree, would LOVE to have this on my iPad.

3. snowdog

snowdog Member

Is there any more news regarding DoD on iPad, or was this all just an elaborate joke by the devs?

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Not a joke, however, essentially all Dredmor-related activity is On Hold while the devs struggle to put together something approaching a functional alpha for Clockwork Empires and are encountering Epic Level Problems doing so. To give you an idea of that that means, they said to the Pre-Alpha Test Crew (of which I am a part) back in April that they were "on the verge" of having something ready for us. It's been five months. They're struggling. But I'm sure once CE makes it to Beta (next Valentine's Day?), they'll have some brainspace to put into other projects. :)

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

To quash any potential rumour-mongering here: At no point did the Gaslamp Hivemind agree on or approve a message, public or private, about anything being "on the verge" of anything. Just so we're very clear on that point.

Any such opinion or statement is purely the opinion of the one who gave it and anyway they'll be given a sound thrashing for misleading Valued Members Of Our Fun Community.

Exile, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Before you unleash Don Daynab on the poor and unsuspecting Essence, I want to note that he mentioned that you'd say "something" would be ready. And "something" is a very broad term. In fact, I remember at least one time when such a mention was made regarding a blog post being written.

But if you still want to unleash Don Daynab on Essence, please just don't kill him permanently (temporary deaths are always funnier).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I can certainly back that up. :D

Just how many times have I been banned for something that I thought would not unleash all hell, while it did exactly that?

Damn my big mouth, but sadly it just keeps coming back...

Essence is too valuable to throw away. Throw me away if someone must be punished for his choice of words. Surely you guys have passed on at least a few good opportunities to ban me, and it is never too late.

Kazeto likes this.
  8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Everyone assumes I'm going to ban Essence! I guess I've been doing pretty well at a reputation for iron-fisted moderation. Re. the thrashing I was talking about /within Gaslamp/, where morale is improved chiefly through bloodsports.

Right, back on topic: So how about that Dredmor iPad port we're not working on because we're focused on CE? Yeah, still doing that.

Exile, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, not really. I just have a weird sense of humour and Omni followed along thinking it was less of a joke than it was. In fact, I wasn't using "death" as an euphemism for "ban" this time (and now you can wonder how it might be possible to kill someone temporarily).

And honestly, it's not the first time someone was confused over whether I was joking or being serious. My manager at work even once said that is the biggest reason why I'm sort of scary (to which I replied that she has nothing to worry because I won't bite her unless she openly asks, but I'm digressing).

And this one (the "Don Daynab" one) is a different sort of joke. A pretty lame one, honestly. But I still find it fun.

You can ask Don Daynab himself about that one (or I can explain if you are too afraid to do that, but I'd probably botch the explanation somehow).

Oh, that's normal. Well, fairly normal.
    It's sort of similar at my work, but since I'm the only man here, I instead improve morale via "molestation" instead of bloodshed.

And I will shut up now because I'm derailing the thread to Siberia once again...

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I never really thought Essence was in any real danger of a ban, and certainly not death. But everything I said was meant. If he ever were in trouble here, I would gladly take his place for whatever punishment issued forth. He has made too many great mods and posts to ignore. Besides, I owe him at least one for a certain drastically off topic thread in another forum. (He took some heavy flack for me there.)

Essence and Kazeto like this.
  11. mining

mining Member

So, I heard we were on the verge of banning David from using ipads?

12. Pyrotanis

Pyrotanis Member

Will the ipad port be coming within this year, or maybe the next 6 months? Also, is it being developed for the ipad's competitors?
    Because I would buy a google nexus 7 just to play this game anywhere.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The port is on hold at the moment, at least until we release Clockwork Empires.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

:*( i guess I'll have to play Dredmor simultaneously on my two laptops instead of a laptop and an ipad then. i was going to use my feet or my nose for ipad haha

brb growing extra arms

Giygas, Haldurson, Daynab and 2 others like this.
  15. Pyrotanis

Pyrotanis Member

That's cool. You guys update on development pretty much weekly, so keep up the good work!

SkyMuffin, OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  16. Baarogue

Baarogue Member

Posting to say a Dredmor iPad port would destroy my productivity. ^_^

Wootah and OmniaNigrum like this.
  17. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I know, I know.

If there is demand for it, or I get bored, it'll happen after CE ships? But Ryan and I are both too swamped right now to think about it.

Exile, Pyrotanis, Baarogue and 3 others like this.
  18. Wootah

Wootah Member

I can't begin to fathom how you would play dredmor on an iPad without Significant overhaul to the game UI. It would probably be tons of fun. I used to play it on one of my first generation atom Eee machines in bed late at night and I LOVED it despite the difficulty of using a mess in bed and the laptop on my stomach.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

It certainly seems doable to me, judging by some of the other IPad games I've played. Obviously, it would take changes to the UI. Take a look at Powder, for example, as a rogue-like game with a decent UI.

20. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

But haven't the developers repeatedly said that they'd practically have to rewrite the entire game from scratch to make any significant changes to the user interface?

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.