There's a real type of ship called a "Cog" The game should have them because puns

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Bohandas, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Createx likes this.
  2. Createx

Createx Member

We will be able to attach cogs to cogs! Progress!
    Except... we can do that already. Cogs upon cogs upon cogs... I still support that, it obviously needs to be the primary ship of the Empire!

3. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

It's a bit anachronistic, because if you want to build a colonial empire, you need three-deckers not cogs :p

Never mind, there's a type of ship during the industrial era called "Screw Gunboats".

[​IMG]

4. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Mhm. Why would you need a ship to begin with.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Trade?

6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

To sail the stormy 10 square meters seas? I think the landscape isn't too fond of seas or rivers. At least not in the screenshots I've seen..

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's still early days, and it's not to say that ships couldn't have a part of this game. If CE is still based roughly on our world's rules, then naval trade and transportation will still need to happen.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Reminder: we've seen sea serpents in at least one screenshot. And also a ship.
    [​IMG]

Kazeto likes this.
  9. Nadd

Nadd Member

I'm very hungry. Give me the sea serpent sautee.

10. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

He has a point. Why bother much with ships when you have airships? Then again, aircogs.

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Because it's much easier to transport mass quantities of goods/heavy goods by sea than it is by air.

12. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

The amount of useless cogs a ship will be covered with to make it look as steampunk as an airship will negate any advantages

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Hardly, because the design would be different. You could adorn the outside with wooden/hollow cogs (thus reducing weight/increasing its ability to float) whilst still having a large, clear deck upon which to transport things.

14. Nadd

Nadd Member

What if.. we tied an airship to a seacog and made it an aircog, so that the lift of the airship would reduce the weight of the seacog, and we could carry more fancy hat laden boxes than ever before? You guys ever take a trip in those Duck tours?

15. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

And then mount the whole thing on an underwater cogtrain!

I assume boats will also be useful for fishing (for fish, Deep Ones, artifacts, Screaming Eels, etc). Although a whaling airship would be an impressive sight...

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Oh, right, yes. I appear to have made the mistake of using logic.

17. Createx

Createx Member

A whaling airship... That is truly magnicifient. Can we build a balloon in the shape of a cog?

18. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

No. All the balloons are held up with a cog chain tho. And to make them look like cogs they added a cog pattern to them.