Sweet. I'm a beta tester

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by marsgreekgod, Aug 25, 2011.

1. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

HA HA! the game just FROZE on me! I knew I could do it! I KNEW I COULD CRASH IT.

I died while diggesting food btw. game froze on the you have died screen.

2. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

@marsgreekgod They said in the email not to do that... but, yeah, I did the same thing. 'They said not to use it while being attacked... well the monster is two spaces away. He's not attacking me right now.'

I'm too literal for my own good sometimes...

Right now, there's going to definitely be a bit of a delay for the 1.04 patch to be released. Remember how I said that warriors are now getting 4hp per level instead of 2? Well, so are the monsters now.... anything with lots of warrior levels is ending up with almost 2x the HP as before! Sadly, all the monsters are going to have to be rebalanced.... especially the earlier ones. On elvish difficulty, a diggle can take you on 1 on 1 just fine... the very first diggle you see. Super hard mode GO!

But PAX is over and they're done moving, so the delays are finally over and the Gaslamp team will be back in business working at full force in the morning. We've been doing a lot of talking with one of the devs, and I assure you that quality assurance is everyone's #1 priority right now. We've been diligently hammering out these bugs this weekend, much to David's loud groans and grumblings. With a bit of patience, this patch will be great. I promise ~.^

And for those of you with a little less patience than that, I'll post a few more teasers in the morning.

3. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

For those that can read XML diffs:

<a href="http://j-factor.com/drediff/spellDB.html">spellDB.xml changes</a>
    <a href="http://j-factor.com/drediff/craftDB.html">craftDB.xml changes</a>
    <a href="http://j-factor.com/drediff/itemDB.html">itemDB.xml changes</a>
    <a href="http://j-factor.com/drediff/skillDB.html">skillDB.xml changes</a>
    <a href="http://j-factor.com/drediff/monDB.html">monDB.xml changes</a>

In particular I noticed that Leywalker now has a new ability for the highest level. I'll try testing that now.

(Hope the devs don't mind me putting these diffs up)

4. liamdawe

liamdawe Member

Can't wait to see some more teasers, loving it so far :D

5. Embolus

Embolus Member

Yes, one of the first things I looked at was exactly what they did to make Leywalker more interesting. Not quite what I expected (was expecting a bit of a rehaul), but I suppose it works.

6. jzworkman

jzworkman Member

Dredmor got a nice few buffs as well :D

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@jzworkman Can you elaborate on that, or you bound by some rules? :)
    I want to know if they made him unbalanced. Or if they made his strength more normal.

8. 123stw

123stw Member

Lol I don't even have to be a beta tester to see that all the new on hit are spelled wrong.

onhit spell="Weak Acid Pool" onchancein="5"

needs to be spell

onhit spell="Weak Acid Pool" onechancein="5"

Also something is clearly wrong with Thaumaturgic Conflux with

secondarybuff id="11" amount="10" and
    secondarybuff id="11" amount="-15"

**OPINIONS***

Okay I looked through all the changes on the files J-Factor provided.......

0. Fireball and all the DOTs got NERFED, hard. It's one that everyone know will happen so no surprises here.

1. Archery got NERFED because ore -> material is reduced, and Hand of Belimawr is no longer stackable.

2. Smithing got MIXED because ore -> material is reduced, but chalk can be made by grinding down black pearls.

3. Alchemy got BUFFED. 1 fruit still translate to 4 hard drinks so permabooze is still possible. Except now you are gonna have the grinder and the staff of crystals.

4. Vampire got a mix of early game buff and late game nerf. Making dungeon 1 easier for minor late penalty definitely a BUFF in my book.

5. Necronomiconomic got BUFFED. 3 natural necro resist is self explanatory. I honestly can't grasp the logic in buffing the most powerful magic tree. But then at least dredmor is immune to Necro damage now so I can't just kill him with 2 rift.

6. Psionic got BUFFED with an insignificant 6 magic resist.

7. Melee Armor got MIXED. Piercing resist for even greater magic penalties.

8. Mage Armor got BUFFED. Again I just don't get why.

@DavidB1111
    9. Dredmor got BUFFED with
    More Resists
    resistbuff toxic="40" putrefying="20" necromantic="40" hyperborean="20" conflagratory="20" existential="40" asphyxiative="20" voltaic="20" piercing="15"

HP up to 300

More Spells

Hits even harder and counters more
    numFig="15" numRog="10" numWiz="40"

So most builds simply can't damage Dredmor at all...... Except those with Mathemagic of course since Dredmor got no resist against transmutative.

If you looking to melee him to death, well you have less chance of doing that now than ever before.

9. jzworkman

jzworkman Member

@DavidB1111 I am not a beta tester, I just poured over the xml diffs posted here. In the monDB.xml changes, the dredmor part is as follows:

New bolt spells, more hp, The following resistances: <resistbuff toxic="20" 40" putrefying="20" necromantic="40" hyperborean="20" conflagratory="20" existential="40" asphyxiative="20" voltaic="20" piercing="15"

And he is more aggressive now. You can look at the xml change logs that were posted earlier to see more

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You mean, I could try to read the files. :) Seriously. I tried, String Theory is easier to understand and read.
    I've never gotten past floor 8 before reaching enemies that overwhelmed me. I want to beat this game someday.
    Unless I'm missing something and he's actually easy. With a health upgrade and a strength boost, he's not sounding easy.
    Also, with piercing resistance on armor, and blasting fixed, I have to question the point of having blasting resisted by armor and not piercing.
    Yes, I know, piercing has a reason for going through armor, but still, "All the armor in the world isn't going to protect you from a decent cannon ball." :)
    I think resisting piercing makes more sense than an explosion not hurting you. Seriously, what armor prevents you from being nuked? :)

11. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Well a nuke would be like blasting 100000. You're not resisting that. Previously, it would have done 0 damage. Har har.

And heavy armor DOES resist piercing in 1.04. Light and medium armors do not.

@123stw Onehitchance typos are fixed internally.

Only teaser I have for today is this one:
    http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5489/throwingrecipes.png Just some of the new throwing weapon recipes.

The beta version should be getting a new patch in the morning, so I'll probably toss some more things out then.

12. 123stw

123stw Member

So has anyone been able to kill the new Dredmor on GR without using Mathemagic?

Apparently he can also blink now and does 60 melee damage a hit. Also he's suppose to resist stun? I can't tell since that's not in the XML but I remember it being mentioned.

@fishofmuu
    Wait you are telling me both "onchancein" and "onechancein" works as a monster tag? Cuz if one works I expect the other not work, and currently the game has both. It just made no sense to have 2 tags doing the exact same thing.

13. Daiug

Daiug Member

Smithing. On Throwing weapon.

Oh jesus, now you have to go Tinker-Smithing :v Since you can't do throwing without exploding potion for late game :v

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@fishofmuu "And heavy armor DOES resist piercing in 1.04. Light and medium armors do not." I know that. I saw the screenshot. However, still makes more sense for armor to resist piercing than blasting.

Okay, wonderful, Dredmor does 60 melee damage a hit. :(
    Oh dear. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me trying to actually win this game on Elvish Easy. Instead of it being easy. :)
    As a melee user.

15. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

For those that are interested I've updated the file diffs I uploaded:

<a href="http://j-factor.com/drediff/">http://j-factor.com/drediff/</a>

I'm amazed at how many of the suggestions from the first beta that have been added.

16. 123stw

123stw Member

OUCH...... I never though my mentioning of permaboozing here will actually lead to the brewing nerfed further down to 1 hard drink from 4. I am too used to my comments not having any effects. I guess that's that for permaboozing.

And they added transmutative resist on Dredmor too, so no more math cheese. Honestly I don't expect my passing comment here to have such an effect.

17. ooh thx a lot j-factor, I only had noticed a couple of those, looks like they have been hard at work to improve the game :D

18. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

@123stw :D

And any thoughts on general balance would be much appreciated. A lot of systems have either changed or been fixed so I want to make sure we're on the right track with the feel of gameplay too.

Exile likes this.
  19. 123stw

123stw Member

In that case, since fruit will transmute to 1 drink anyway, perhaps cut out the middle men and brew apple and pears directly into hard drinks on after alchemy level 2.

20. I just cleared a floor 2 zoo and got a nice reward for doing so :D The weird thing is, the last boss in the room, was an Eely desperately trying to swim on ground :/