Is there a non-steam version?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by derpyderp, Aug 16, 2011.

1. derpyderp

derpyderp Member

Hi,
    just wondering whether I can buy Dungeons of Dredmor someplace other than Steam.

2. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Nope, it is currently Steam only, so far as I know.

3. derpyderp

derpyderp Member

I guess it makes sense, since it's less managing and they might have gone exclusive to earn a bit more or something. Guess I'll have to stick with steam -.-

4. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

Why does everyone "hate" steam? I pity those fools!
    It's a great application, it's by far not as crappy as it's use to be and not to mention Valve/Steam has the lowest prices on any games you can get. 40$ for 100+ games worth 5000$? Yes please!

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We didn't go exclusive and it was never our intent to do so -- just started with the biggest distributor we could land in terms of effort vs. payoff to launch the company on no budget.

From there, we're starting to diversify as we're able. We're actually signed with at least one other distributor and are working out deals with a few more. This includes Linux distribution. And this is all slated to start going *after* the 1.0.4 patch.

6. mr.ioes

mr.ioes Member

@DerpTyrant agree!
    And Steam's gameoverlay for 3rd party games actually is damn usefull, loving it! OFC there are negative points to Steam, but none of them are worth the discussion when it's about a 5€ game. Heck, I stopped playing completely due to low inventory space but still I got 48 hours of play for 5 bucks, so I am fine with it.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@mrioes 5 euros? That's more than the 5 dollars it costs Americans.
    Ouch.
    However, it is probably still worth that.

And I don't get any hate for steam. It's not bad at all.

8. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

@DavidB1111 Its mostly people still crying over their old burnt biscuits. Steam used to be very iffy when it first came out and really lived up to it's now unfair reputation as bloatware. It has become MUCH better over the last few years though. It's like how there are people that still complain over there being no support for games on the Mac, despite that that hasn't been true for years.

9. Desi

Desi Member

Yeah, I was slow to jump onto Steam because it really was bloatware. Around 2009 is when it became truly good.

It's especially wonderful for Australians, because even though our Dollar is leading the USD, we're still being charged $90-120 for a game in retail, while most games on Steam are available for their US prices. So while Americans might think $60 is a lot to pay for a game, it's really two-thirds of what we usually pay.

10. Desi

Desi Member

Although you still get publishers who price games on Steam as if they're at retail. Bethesda and Skyrim is a good example. For Americans, Skyrim on Steam is US$60. For Australians, US$90. For Europeans, something like US$112, and meanwhile UK gamers can't even preorder Skyrim from Steam because of pressure from the retail sector.

11. derpyderp

derpyderp Member

@DerpTyrant Look I probably should have explained a bit more.
    I don't hate steam. I do use it. However I don't like their hilarious USD to Euro conversion rates. They say it's the publisher's choice, blablabla, I don't care. There's other companies offering digital download with equal prices everywhere. And it's especially lame if you live in a country with way lower salaries than in USA. Plus it's becoming like the facebook of gaming :D

@David Glad to hear that (bought the game on steam a while ago anyways). And I of course understand that Steam was the obvious way to go.

12. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

I think part of the Steam hate is that Valve is now THE MAN because it's a huge corporation, rather than that company that made a really cool game... and gamers tend to be total hipsters about stuff. "Casuals are ruining gaming! Companies are selling out to the lowest common denominator! The best RPG in history was Planescape: Torment... you've probably never heard of it before. Strategy games started going downhill ever since X-Com 2. I only play indie games anymore... none of that mainstream EA garbage. When *I* was playing PC games, we didn't need game managers like Steam; we had C:\Games."

13. Termy

Termy Member

I suppose Planescape: Torment is okay if you only play MAINSTREAM Indie games, but although I thought the game fantastic, I just couldn't enjoy it knowing other people probably enjoyed it too.

My first experience with Steam was back when it was first released (2003? 2004? ages ago now), and it was terrible enough that I never touched it again until Civ V last year, and I was amazed at how it had changed. It's convenient, and as far as certain "Indie" games are concerned, I don't have hours a day to trawl through gaming sites or read reviews - I'm fairly devoted to RLs, but I would have missed out on DoD if it wasn't for the Steam ad telling me it was available.

Since my house network consists of Windows Mac and Linux computers, will the Linux distro need to be bought separately from the Steam when it is released, or will owners of the Steam version get a licence for the Linux as well?