Move In Mysterious Ways - bugged?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by dougbb, Aug 15, 2011.

1. dougbb

dougbb Member

I'm having issues making MIMW work. Once activated as the right-click skill, I right-click (duh, I assume) in the place I want to move to, and....nothing happens.

Am I missing something painfully obvious here? Please help.

I'm doing GR-Perma, so I really need to be able to get out of trouble!

2. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

You can only move within your current visual range. You can't move thru walls. You cant move behind doors. If you are blinded and have your VSR reduced, your range or MMW is also reduced.

3. Daiug

Daiug Member

No, it actually work only on objs/items/enemy on the sight radius.

If you teleport inside a mob if i'm not mistaken you can run away from it and it won't attack you

4. dougbb

dougbb Member

@kaoy - understood, wasn't trying: out of vis range, thru wall, behind door, and wasn't blinded

@daiug - are you saying that I can only move to an occupied square?

Off-topic - I like this game a lot, but think I might like it more if I let it sit for a couple more patches.

5. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Probably not a terrible idea. I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'half-baked' but it does have some fairly large bugs. I still play it, but I do think that it will continue to get better and improve a great deal within the next few patches.

6. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Yep, can only move onto occupied spaces. I use it for jumping on to doors, specifically when being attacked to get to a new room safely :p.

7. Daiug

Daiug Member

Yeah, as they already said, only onto occupied spaces :D

8. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

That seems like a bug. One would expect it to be the other way around.

9. Misery

Misery Member

Actually, pretty sure it's intentional. The ability to only choose occupied spaces instead of empty ones DOES fit the skill name.

Not to mention, it limits where you can go with that skill depending on the situation. A full teleport that merely takes you anywhere in sight distance with no mana cost seems like it might be overpowered to me; this one forces you to choose between certain spaces only, but for no mana cost.

It also kinda fits the "Burglary" set; imagine your guy hiding BEHIND a statue instead of inside of it.

10. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

@Kaoy That's what makes it mysterious.

11. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

@Misery But effectively teleporting thru doors for free isn't?

@ fishofmuu Suddenly appearing 10 feet away from where you were supposed to be is pretty mysterious too, but not horrifically exploitable.

12. 123stw

123stw Member

@Kaoy
    I think it's fine as is. At least it's different from being "just another teleport".

13. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

It's an error. The spell type was accidentally set as "target" (meaning you must target an entity) rather than "targetfloor" which as one might assume means you target a floor.

Granted, though, that it is more mysterious this way, it's also kinda weird. This is corrected in 1.0.4.

14. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

@David Reeeeeeeally? I always assumed it was on purpose. Like Misery said, I always thought of it as he's hiding behind the barrel or something, or doing some old slapstick routine where someone's trying to hit him and he shuffles around just inches around the attacker.

15. Misery

Misery Member

@David

Wow, it really IS a mistake? Huh. It seemed to fit well with the general wackiness of the game as a whole, that and the name of the skill....

Well, whatever. Burglary is an interesting skillset overall, regardless.

@Kaoy

Getting through doors for free with a teleport wouldnt break anything, I think... I mean, the doors.... it's not like they're hard to get through. I would understand more if there were like, doors that you had to have specific keys to get through, that maybe had a treasure room on the other side, but normal doors.... even locked ones just go down to a good booting.

Actually, a teleport that could send you to the other side of the door wouldnt be that broken either, because if you actually DID so, you'd run a big risk of appearing in a nest of monsters that you didnt know was there. It'd be like, you COULD potentially escape a bad situation by doing that.... or you could make it so much worse.

16. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

@Misery

You have probably never played a Promethen-Golemancy Bloodmage then. "Is it a Zoo? *POP* Yes it is!" *backup**cast wall x3**open door**instant carnage*

Even with out those skills, it would be pretty over powered as a survival skilled, as you don't have to worry about even finding a door to close behind you, as it would already be shut. Given how effective stealth is in this game, what ever is on the other side probably would be asleep and not yet a threat.

Either way, moot since it's getting fixed.