Major bug with movement (click and wasd)

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Misterstone, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Misterstone

Misterstone Member

Hello,

This is a pretty huge bug, so I imagine it has been noted before, but I did not find a post describing it exactly...

If you click on a tile to move, then immediately use WASD to move the avatar BEFORE tile-click movement is executed, you will move, but no 'time' will pass in game.

So, if I click on the tile immediately to my right then use WASD to move anywhere before the avatar moves to the tile I clicked on, my avatar will move, but no monsters will move. Counters such as spell upkeep, spell effect turns-left etc. also will not count down. So it's like you are basically able to teleport one tile at a time without anything else moving.

Again, sorry if this is old news, but I didn't see anything about it and figured I should point it out.

2. Marak

Marak Member

You can also do this with some speedy double-clicking, and it really ends up breaking the game if you're a Mage or Archer type of character. Open door, see 3 monsters, double-click across the previous room, fire at will, free XP. I hope they can fix this somehow in 1.0.4 because I keep abusing it and its making my Blood/Promethian Mage a walk in the park with 0 challenge because I have a no-cooldown, almost-100%-guaranteed escape method with 0 skill point investment.

3. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

@Marak This is a major bug, but those abusing it shouldn't play the game. People abusing it are probably people playing Dwarven and Elvish moderation. For casual players and noobs. If you can't win the game without abusing this, I feel sorry for you mate. Especialy when using the overpowered Blood/Promethean Mage.

4. Marak

Marak Member

Whoa, easy there, killer. I was saying that once you know about it, the temptation to use it is very strong, even if you don't NEED it necessarily.

Also, why are you attacking me and calling me a fail noob that obviously can't handle Going Rogue, when all I was doing was expounding on the OP by describing another way to "activate" the bug? A little uncalled for, there.

5. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

@Marak Well I most definitely didn't want to sound like I'm attacking you. I was just in a grumpy mood be cause of reading bunch of posts where people brag and feel better then you for beating DoD with some build on Elvish or Dwarven moderation. I'm sorry, but I'm guess I'm a bad person. It just irritates me a bit ... And that also sounded mean and bad. Ugh, ...

6. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

@Marak "I was saying that once you know about it, the temptation to use it is very strong, even if you don't NEED it necessarily." THEN WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME!? YOU HAVE RUINED MY GAMING EXPERIENCE FOREVER!

But I know what you mean. It's hard not to steal things from Brax, now that I know how easy it is.

7. Marak

Marak Member

I think it's being worked on for 1.0.4, I remember reading (or maybe it was a podcast?) that they knew of a "few issues" with the way game is both turn-based and real-time, and some of the timing issues that arise. Hopefully they can find a way to sort this WASD/mouse "double clicking to skip turns" thing out.

8. 123stw

123stw Member

Lol @ double click abuse.

Might be too embedded in the game to actually be fixed though. I have to be careful in not double clicking now.

But yeah knowing about it makes it hard not to cheat a little for the first 125 exp. You will start justify it as "oh I am going to reset to hope for a good RNG anyway".

9. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

And then it becomes "Well, you really aren't stable till about level 4" and then "The first 4 floors are cake walks anyway", and then "But it doesn't start getting tricky till floor 7, so...", and so on.

10. 123stw

123stw Member

@Kaoy
    Not really. I even avoid using artifacts with bonuses or anvils just to prove the build works on GR without relying on RNG. But the first 125 exp is all RNG and you can't do anything about it sometimes.

11. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Fun fact: According to the XML, 125 exp for the first level is only meant to apply to Elvishly Easy. It's meant to be 260 exp for Going Rogue.

I hope they never fix that. Increased grinding requirements for harder difficulties would just be silly.

12. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

So I tried using that little double-click trick to see if I could beat Dredmor at lvl 1...

It was a lot harder than I thought. The problem is largely doors, and you can only double click through the middle of them, requiring you to move all the monsters around so they aren't standing in the way. I also ended up leveling up twice just picking locks on my way to find stairs hehe.