I love increase game speed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 123stw, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 123stw

123stw Member

I just want to say it. I love the customizable game speed. It's so much more fun playing at ++ for me than the original speed. It's makes the game much more "fast pace". Thank you for adding such a great feature to this game.

Edit: For those who are wondering, I navigate mostly with mouse clicks. So the speed doesn't take away precision all that much.

I wish more turn base games are like that, instead of forcing you to watch 3 minutes of animations per summon every single time.

One minor suggestion is that the announcement scrolling can also be speed up to match the game speed, so it can actually keep up. It's not that big of a deal, but it will be nice to have for those who enjoys playing at high speed like I do.

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You know, it's weird. I never really use it. I don't see the point in speeding up the animations so much. In a fight, it would be suicide, but I guess going across the map would be rather quicker.

Also, I laughed at your second paragraph. :) Knights of the Round and Eden, right? :)
    Those are the only two summons I know that are really annoyingly long.

3. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

First of I salute you for knowing this feature and am glad you're spreading it to others? Oh wait, your not. Well, for your information, it's Ctrl+- ON the number bar and not at numpads. :D

Now to get to discussion, when do you even use it? I must say I never have saw a summoning that long. The only time I use it is to move fast through already cleared dungeons, but I'm playing on GR so even then I tend not to. You can always step into a trap or some respawned mobs can surround you.
    For HP/Mana regen I have a Space Key macro anyways.

4. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@DerpTyrant I think he's just mentioning how some games, specifically, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 have very long summon animations, and that he would have appreciated if games like that had a way to fast forward it.
    And your reasons for not using the fast mode are the exact same reasons I don't use it.

I am not very observant, so speeding up the game would be suicidal.

5. 123stw

123stw Member

@DavidB1111
    Knight of the Round was close, that wasn't so bad because Damage per Second wasn't so bad. It was actually doing high damage. I was thinking every other summons that they actually expect you to use W-Summon with......... watching 4 Behemoths in a chain for just 4 hits. I loved the game mechanics in FF7 but I can't stand all the animations and cut scenes.

@DerpTyrant
    For the entire duration of the game. + for permadeath, ++ for non permadeath, Going Rogue always. When you play with mouseclick it doesn't matter much how fast the animation is. It just feels like playing Fire Emblem with all animations cut, you click a spot and stuff happens.

You also don't need to hold ctrl. Just + or - on they keyboard works.

6. GeneralSalad

GeneralSalad Member

"One minor suggestion is that the announcement scrolling can also be speed up to match the game speed, so it can actually keep up." (Sorry not sure how to quote on this forum).

I agree, the scrolling in general needs to faster, and a making it so you could scroll up and down in the box would be rather nice.

One thing I notice is that there is a folder for logs, but nothing is actually logged there (yet). It would be great if the combat log was logged into a text file and placed there as I like to look at stuff like that. What would also be nice is if we could see the "rolls" for stuff like say disarming a trap, wand burn out, anvil of krong etc. Basically anything that is chance based. Of course bugs come first but in future I would love this.

7. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

I always play on +. I get a little messed up with ++ sometimes.

Also, I don't know why people keep saying you need to press ctrl. You don't. Just hit +/-

8. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, but it has to be +/- next to your 0 key, and NOT the ones on the Number Pad.

I find myself playing at normal speed for the first 2-3 floors, at which point I'm still getting a feel for my character and what he can do and what attacks I should be using when, that sort of thing.

Once I have my skill priorities straight in my head, I typically play at + speed until I hit floor 10, at which point I slow it back down so I don't make a stupid mistake and get killed by and arch diggle or run into Lord Dredmor and don't see him at first because I'm playing in "fast forward".

But yeah, it's a godsend for grinding out the middle-to-late floors.

9. Incendax

Incendax Member

There is definitely no need for me to press Control. +/- on the primary keyboard is more than sufficient. I always play on + just to make travel easier and I use WASD to navigate. It's not very hard to notice traps and just stop moving unless your trap vision is 1. =P

10. Desi

Desi Member

What is the point of speeding up a turn-based game? =S

11. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Because we're 'western gamers', and we hate time sinks. Hate. HATE.

By that, I mean we're impatient.

12. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Desi What Fishofmuu said. Also, one could inversely ask "What is the point of spending twice as long walking around or attacking?"

13. Misery

Misery Member

I agree with Fishofmuu.

I just cant deal with many JRPGs (or worse, SRPGs like Disgaea, uuuugh) because I just dont have the astonishing patience level required for them. Something like the monstrously long summons in the Final Fantasy games.... 3 whole minutes for ONE summon, someone mentioned? Yeah.... how about no.

So this is a really great function to have in this game. That being said, I tend to spend the majority of the time at the base speed; I only use the + speed if I need to backtrack a bit, usually to go sell stuff to Brax.

Other than that though, I tend to be extremely careful about my moves... speeding the game up during normal exploration and combat would just lead to me making mistakes.

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Misery What? You don't like Disgaea!? A thousand poxes upon your land! May you be carpet bombed by Diggles who throw Prinnies, and then forced to deal with bad voice acting, google Chaos Wars Voice acting, and many other things. such as sudden IRS auditing. Wait, that gives you money. Grumble, Grumble, Grumble.

joking aside, I do understand how this game, and others can be annoying due to long animations. I ramble on a bit, but I am just joking. I can understand why you don't like certain games.

Also, longest animation is Disgaea 3 is like 40 seconds, max. Hardly that annoyingly long compared to Knights of the Round. :) Which is totally awesome.
    Not as awesome as Eden, I mean, turning the Earth into a giant black hole/laser/railgun/particle beam cannon from Gundam, etc, thingy that shoots a target into the Andromeda Galaxy's core, and destroys the entire Galaxy...yeah, can't be that.

Well,okay, in Disgaea your fist fighters can cause the Big Bang. :)

15. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

Ogre Tactics > FFTactics > Other Stuff > Tetris > Disgaea.
    Mad?

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@DerpTyrant Well, I like Ogre Tactics...
    Anyhow, let's not get into a pointless debate over how awesome one game is to another. That will just end in people being nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :)

Let's get back on topic. I didn't mean to bring it that far off topic. Sheesh.

I can appreciate why speeding up the animation is good. I just don't believe it's that slow to begin with, so as much as I can understand it, I will never use it. I've tried a few times. As The Flash would say. "Whoa, that's a bit fast even for me."
    :)

17. Misery

Misery Member

@DavidB1111

Indeed that's correct, just cant deal with Disgaea. Oh I *wanted* to like it, but the game is the absolute epitome of the concept of "grinding" in any game, and of all things in a game that can totally destroy my interest in it, grinding takes the cake. And then sets it on fire and throws it out the window and laughs about it. It's why I'll only play certain RPGs; the instant one of them requires even a small amount of grinding in order to accomplish something, I instantly quit and probably never return to it. Fortunately there are RPGs that dont require that.... the first Wild Arms, for example, did not require any grinding, even for me to go beat all of the optional bosses. Too many games still do it though.

So that's my thoughts on that :p

I was gonna say something else, but I cannot remember what it was.

I do agree though that I dont think Dredmor is slow to begin with though; it moves at a fine pace. But using the speedup during backtracking can really be a boon, if only to save some time while letting you get back to the real exploration that much faster.

18. Incendax

Incendax Member

Grinding is definitely a negative thing in my opinion. It usually is an artificial inflation of difficulty that results from lack of creativity on the part of developers or lack of content as a whole. Unless the game is specifically trying to evoke an emotion that is somehow tied to the experience of grinding, then there is no reason to grind.

19. 123stw

123stw Member

@Incendax

Or maybe some people "like" grind. I never get those MMORPG players who spend days item farming the same boss over and over, only to break them all in the "enchantment" process. But apparently some people like that kinna things.

20. Misery

Misery Member

@incendax

EXACTLY. I could not have put it so well myself. It really IS an artificial inflation of difficulty.... yet, I honestly hesitate to even CALL it difficulty, since the actual act of grinding in most RPGs is usually phenomenally easy.... as in, just about the easiest thing the game can present you with.... but with the monstrous downside that it's astonishingly time consuming and ridiculously boring.

That's exactly why I instantly quit when I reach a point in such a game where grinding is actually requires.... it suggests that the devs simply couldnt be bothered to come up with something better. Which is also why I treasure the rare RPG (almost ALWAYS ones NOT made by Square or NIS) that manages to constantly be challenging WITHOUT ever needing grinding. Like Wild Arms. In a Square RPG like the FF games, in order to defeat optional bosses... the super-powered sort... almost always, the one solution available to you is to GRIND. Not so in Wild Arms. In the process of defeating all 12 or so of the optional bosses, including the most powerful and difficult of the group, I did ABSOLUTELY NO GRINDING WHATSOEVER. The game was just so well designed, with so much obvious effort and thought from the devs, that grinding simply did not need to exist in it. It really is too bad that more devs cant seem to figure out how to manage that.

....Dredmor manages it, though. This game does not require grinding. I'm absolutely certain that once I feel I know enough to have a real go at GR mode (after I've fully beaten the middle difficulty and experimented enough with different skillsets), I wont need to ever actually grind in order to have a chance to defeat it. And this is just yet another aspect of this game that makes it so amazing to me. Though, to be fair, ALOT of Roguelikes dont really require it.... and that makes the whole GENRE amazing.

@123stw

Oh, you bet there are those that like it. I assure you, it's just as much of a mystery to me as it is to you. I know someone like that.... he can sit there for HOURS just repeating the same simplistic, boring map in Disgaea, performing EXACTLY the same actions over and over and over and over and over in order to gain exp, and he doesnt seem to tire of it.

MMOs though.... somehow, it often seems a bit.... different.... in those. I've been into MMOs since Everquest. I think, with MMOs, alot of what makes players able/willing to deal with the grind is the rewards of it; loot and such, and the fact that it's a multiplayer game... you can compare your newly found, powerful items to other players, and feel good about it. It's hard to explain, but that aspect really permeates that entire genre, and I think it's part of what grips so many players for so long.