game suddenly failing to register any key presses or mouse clicks

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by fabledfrostbrand, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Don't know how this exactly happened, but after right-clicking my mouse button to cast obvious fireball on a octoblobby, suddenly the game refused to register any keyboard presses or mouse clicks. I couldn't use wasd to move, nor the mouse, nor could I open or close any windows (I happened to have my character status screen open at the time).

The game wasn't exactly frozen, though. The music was still playing and my character eventually went into his "you're idle, so i'll play on my gameboy/handheld" animation. But no matter what key I pressed, or what mouse clicks I made, the game refused to do anything. Needless to say, I had to use taskmanager to close Dungeons of Dredmor. I then went to Load Game and found that my last autosave was still on the previous dungeon level. There goes an hour/hour and a half worth's of gametime (yeah, yeah, there are people here who've probably lost way more gametime due to such odd occurrences/crashes). I know I shouldn't be complaining when the game is only $5, but it's these little things that is making me have such a love/hate relationship with this game. That and the other things that will hopefully be addressed in the next patch...

I mean, when is the auto-save function supposed to kick in, exactly? What is the point of even having auto save when it doesn't even work in situations such as mine?

2. GeneralSalad

GeneralSalad Member

The auto save happens when you use stairs. You can also manually save.

3. Ratha

Ratha Member

Try swapping back out of and into the game when keypresses stop working, and then pressing the control, alt and shift keys a few times each. I experience 'sticky keys' and 'non responsive keys' quite often, probably because i swap in and out of the game a lot. When it stops responding properly i just swap back out and back in and press all those modifier keys and that usually fixes it for me.