How Dodge, Counter, and Block Works

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by 123stw, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

@DavidB1111, I think you're confusing block with counter. You'd have a hard time getting 100% counter, which is probably a good thing since that would make you invincible to everything but critical hits.

However, 100% block is somewhat more doable, since there's more skills and equipment that provide it.

@123stw, I wasn't doing anything besides going through the wiki and seeing how much counter you could pile on to a character using only skills and equipment; I agree that the boots and the armor suck, but they're the only ones that grant any counter. If counter isn't 1/2 Savvy, <a href="http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Stats#Interaction_between_Primary_and_Secondary_stats">then the wiki is wrong</a>.

2. afterstar

afterstar Member

Thanks 123stw that helped a lot, especially explaining how exactly block works.

@DabidB1111
    Here I have 102 block with buffs: http://imageshack.us/f/829/afterattack2.jpg/
    I had the following skills: Unarmed Combat, Shield Bearer, Master of Arms, Artful Dodger, Deadshot , Assassination, Smithing.
    Only the first three mattered as far as block stats go.

Is it a waste to go over 100 or are there monsters that can reduce your block chance?

3. 123stw

123stw Member

@afterstar

Not that I know of. When I looked at the monDB.xml I found nothing that reduces block per say. If some hidden hardcoded stuff exists then I wouldn't know.

However, you might want to replace some of those activations with more permanent forms of block. Turtle Formation and Suit Up are not reliable. Also, while the activation skills do work, the bonus block from shield bearing does not work. Personally I tend to skip it for something more permanent.

So for example
    Boot with Winged Aluminum Boots (craft)
    Shields with 2 Caketown
    Rings with 2 Ring of Iron Thorn (craft)

It will also push your counter rate to 48%.

4. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Yeah, and that 100% block can be obtained without any enchanting. Granted, it requires a rather specific build, but it's doable.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Wow. Cool.
    @Tacroy How would Counter not make you immune to critical hits? Counter counters all hits. That's why 100% counter would be broken.
    Someone attempts to hit you, you counter it, unless I missed something somewhere. I've never had that much counter, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on critical hits.

6. 123stw

123stw Member

@DavidB1111
    Because critical gets processed first, and only one of the 4 can be processed per hit.

It doesn't matter if you got 100% dodge, counter, and block. When the enemy crits you are getting hit.

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Wow. Okay. I didn't know that. Nice to know.

8. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Which also means that damage reduction is ALWAYS useful, even at lower levels because of crit. Something like an arch diggle can isntagib someone with 30+HP, if they have no damage reduction.

9. 123stw

123stw Member

@fishofmuu

Edit: Take back previous statements after better understanding of how monster damage works.

10. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

@124stw I was more saying that you shouldn't forgo all damage reduction for dodge/counter/block. Also, forgot he pierces.

11. Incendax

Incendax Member

In in the beginning of the game should you really concern yourself with Armor. It makes a huge difference then to reduce all damage to 1.

By the time you get to level 3, you can pretty much just focus on which stats you want and if you happen to have some Armor from those items then so be it.

12. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, reducing all damage to one could be useful too.
    I'm confused what you mean by that though? Armor Absorption drops all damage it can block to zero. Resistances drop it to zero.

I'm probably misunderstanding. So, sorry if I am. I is not stupid. I swear. :)

13. Incendax

Incendax Member

@DavidB1111 I can't get damage to reduce to zero unless I Block. I can take a character with 40 Armor Absorb to the 1st Floor and a Diggle will whack me for 1 damage, unless I Block.

14. 123stw

123stw Member

@Incendax

Weird, arch diggle seem to deal 27 slash damage despite it's listed 12. Forgot to take the 15 fighter/rogue bonus inter consideration, that will explain where the 15 extra damage comes from.

I take back the earlier statements about armor absorb. They are more important than what I have previously gave them credit for.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Incendax You do realize that Diggles do Piercing damage, right? So, they will always go through your armor for the 1 or 2 damage. If not, your game is broken. :)
    They do 2 piercing and 2/3 slashing at 0 armor. At 40 armor absorb, they will still do the 2 piercing.

Unless you gain piercing resistance.