What happened to my character?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Dverger, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Dverger

Dverger Member

Forgive my ignorance, but I could not distinguish if this was a bug or a game feature I didn't know about; during an enjoyable dungeon session I stumbled upon another monster zoo. After clearing it out and leveling up I noticed that some of my character's stats took a steep drop; my max health dropped to 47, and even with my buffs up I can't break past 1 melee power or 0 armor absorption.

Was this caused by a creature on the 7th floor and I just didn't notice during the monster zoo? More importantly; is there a way to fix this?

Here's a screenshot for reference.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/Last_Wyvern/Picture2.png

Thanks for your time.

2. Embolus

Embolus Member

It seems to me you have a debuff. Mouse over the top left icon?

3. Dverger

Dverger Member

My apologies; I should have shown the tooltip in the screenshot since it shares a similar icon with debuffs. That's the Fell Truffle buff to showcase that my stats refuse to increase, the Fell Truffle should be adding to my melee power.

4. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Corruption on items?

5. Malignant

Malignant Member

from your screenshot I can see that you are in Jekyll form.. try to transform into Mr.Hyde he's much stronger than the feeble doctor

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Malignant "That's not funny!" :King Leonidas from Robot Chicken kicks Malignant into the Pit of Death.:
    But yeah, I'm leaning towards item corruption, on a large scale. How else could he lose all that armor and melee power.

7. dinsiz

dinsiz Member

I got the same problem, my melee power and armour absorption points are almost gone. its not item corruption and any debuff. the gear bonuses don't sum up regularly. I think it happened in level 7. and I'm starting a new char because of this.

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Odd. There's no reason for stats to suddenly go to nothing like that. What are you playing as?

9. dinsiz

dinsiz Member

mace fighter/vampire. here's a screenshot. with the gear and the skills bonuses my absorption has to be 12...
    http://imageshack.us/f/59/screenshot20110814at115.jpg

10. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Judging by the image, he appears to be a Unarmed/Shield/Arms/Fungus/Astrology character. His gear doesn't seem like a crafters set at that level, so that's out. Probably Assassin is where he is getting the extra Rogue levels, then. Or maybe Arful Dodge. He has fairly good dodge, after all.

If I had to take a random guess, it might have been caused by having to many buffs and debuffs up at once. I haven't experienced this issue myself, but that sort of build could end up with 6-7 buffs from procs and spells, and gods knows how many from the shrooms and pots he could have drunk. Add in the high chance of getting blinded at some point and having a couple other bebuffs from attacks, he could have had over 10 affects going at once, easy.

Dverger, could you tell us what your buff/debuff situation was like during the fight? This is my best guess and might need someone to experiment.

11. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

@dinsiz It's hard to tell your situation with that one. The only thing I know to give armour for sure there is your body armour, +2 from a buff. That would be missing 3. That might just be corruption.

12. dinsiz

dinsiz Member

and I got 3 from master of arms, and 4 from gears other than torso. these items got no negatif bonus. and with suit up buff, it has to be 14 total. btw, if I take of the torso, the number decrease only 1 (instead of 5).

13. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

I'm beginning to suspect that it is possible that corruptions are bugged and do not show up on gear, at least sometimes. I have had an experience where my weapon was said to have been corrupted, but I didn't see a difference in its stats, but figured I must have been mistaken. Now that I look at both situations, both are 'tank' types. The sort designed to avoid damage as opposed to dishing it out, and as such, are the sorts to get hit often. At that level, a zoo would have a number of purple dragons in it. It is possible that you have unknowingly been corrupted a number of time. It is possible that your armour really DOES only have 1 AA on it.

Does anyone recall ever seeing a negative or reduced stat on their gear that they don't recall coming from an Anvil of Krong?

14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Except that only weapons are able to be corrupted. Unless someone can give me absolute proof that corruption can affect armor/gear.
    That would be really bad. And a game breaker, if there was no way to counter it.

15. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

I have never heard anything about it being weapons only. Where did you read that?

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Kaoy Um, Only weapons ever ever get corrupted.
    It's extremely obvious based on the messages you get when you get corrupted. It only picks your weapons. You can fight corrupting monsters forever, and it will never eat anything else but weapons.

Also, they are adding, I believe, the ability for corruption to affect not just weapons.
    So, yeah, if they're adding it, it's not in the game yet.

Lots of let's plays show it off, on YouTube.
    It's really kind of obvious.
    No one has ever had a non-weapon corrupted, to my knowledge.

Also, as I said, they are going to make it affect more that just weapons. So, it's not in the game yet.
    Unless someone can provide proof. But Yeah, so far, you're the only person I've ever seen on this forum think it affects more than weapons.

17. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Well, I haven't scoured the internet for every video or blog post about it, so some things slip past me. I don't actually pay attention to the top very often, since its info is often inaccurate or incomplete. I simply mentioned it might only have one defense since I wasn't aware it was weapons only, at the moment. Still, I don't recall ever seeing a negative stat on on a weapon that I didn't know for sure came from a Krong botch, so I am still wondering if it might be corruption is currently 'hidden'.

18. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Kaoy Yes, randomly generated items can have a negative to stats. You will encounter this frequently if you use Archaeology on non-weapon items. However, DavidB1111 is absolutely correct that corruption monsters and corruption traps only affect weapons in this patch.

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Kaoy I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. If you got that, I'm sorry.
    I am curious what you mean by not paying attention to the top very often.
    What does that mean?
    What top? and why would it be inaccurate or incomplete?

Do you mean Wiki?

20. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

No no, I meant the top of the screen, the damage scrawl. It doesn't update for all affects, ignores when you block, ect. I very rarely ever look at it, and that's the only place that mentions when an item is corrupted, so I never noticed it was weapons only.