My character "sleeps" after stepping on a dead enemy

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Stoz, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Stoz

Stoz Member

Hi,

I can't figure out what's going on here. I am down to dungeon level 8 out of 15. My skills are:
    • Swords (Maxed)
    • Artful Dodge (Base)
    • Mastery of Arms (Base)
    • Smithing (1 from Max)
    • Tinkering (1 from Max)
    • Clockwork Knight (Maxed)
    • Communism (Base)
    Often when I kill an enemy 1-2 turns after I kill them there will be a 3x3 grid explosion centred on their body and then the turn after a weird squiggly thing will appear directly on their body. If I'm standing on the square where the weird squiggly thing appears then my character appears to go to sleep (yawns) and then the monsters can get 2-6 free moves, including attacking me.
    I have no idea what is causing this. I have encrusted some of my equipment but I can't see anything that anything about "DANGEROUS" or "UNSTABLE" when I view the item descriptions.

2. Wootah

Wootah Member

When you get an encrust that pushes you over the limit, you get a nice grey box pop-up that lets you know that you are now in trouble and have a chance of triggering the instability.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I think it could be the "Nightmare" spell effect. That happens with tentacle bolts and tentacular infector traps, as well as Necro's final skill.

http://dredmor.stosic.org/#2717

I am a bit confused though because Dredmorpedia does not list how long the sleep lasts.

!! do you have the Diggledagger equipped?

4. Stoz

Stoz Member

I don't have the Diggledagger equipped, I am using a Mirror shield and a Clockwork Chainsword. I will post a screenshot of the spell when I am home.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure a specific item does this, but I forget what it is.

6. Zalminen

Zalminen Member

Mirror Darkly shield?

Taking a quick look at Dredmorpedia: 75% chance of Zalgo1 when you are hit in melee

Zalgo1 triggers Corpse Blast 2 turns later (3x3 'explosion') and Nightmare 3 turns later (paralyzing effect).

Stoz and Essence like this.
  7. Warlock

Warlock Member

Also of note: It does not necessarily have to be a tiered thing. A slightly unstable crust alone has the capacity of occasionally proccing a tentacular doom, if that's the negative factor you got hold of. Apart from that, the only other vanilla items that do it are the Demonic Diggledagger and the upgraded mirror shield (Mirror Darkly.)

8. Stoz

Stoz Member

That is exactly what is happening, I have a Mirror Darkly Shield equipped. Thanks for helping me clear that up.