Character Descriptions stuck on "the Adventurer"

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by saturnine, Aug 6, 2011.

1. saturnine

saturnine Member

The name of your character, followed by "the [noun]" in the Load Game menu has had mine stuck at Adventurer for the past five or so characters. Does anyone have this problem? Is this a known bug?

2. Malignant

Malignant Member

I think the title is based on your highest skill or the ones you pick at beginning.. do you max out same skill with each character?

3. saturnine

saturnine Member

No, I've varied quite a bunch of mage skills the past few times and they've all ended up with that title.

4. aaron

aaron Member

In my experience Malignant is correct about it going off of the highest skill at the time. It seems that my magic-based characters end up as "adventurer" more often than melee characters though.

5. incryosleep

incryosleep Member

I have noticed that your skills add a point in each of the 3 "classes" as more points are added your class changes according to it. If your skills are ending up with the same points your class is of course the name is going to be the same.

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

The title is based on what your highest skill level is. If you're a level 5 smith, you're a someone the Smith. If you're a mace user, you're a David the Smusher, for me.

That's my experience.
    @incryosleep Can you explain better?

7. saturnine

saturnine Member

Well then it's just bugged for Mage skills. I maxed out several trees and had nothing change at all.

8. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

I maxed out Fleshsmithing and my title was 'xxxx The Disgusting'

9. aaron

aaron Member

Last character was listed as "the Smith" two levels up the Smithing tree. Current character is one skill off maxed Alchemy, still titled as "the Adventurer". Some skills must not have names.

10. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

I've had all my skills maxed, mostly mage skills, and it gave me the Adventurer. Like my top 10 scores are the same, quite annoying. (All very different builds) It seems the end game builds like giving you the Adventurer.

11. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Does it revert to Adventurer if you max out multiple skills?

12. incryosleep

incryosleep Member

Yeah I kind of explained that badly....OK when you level up one of your skills it adds to your "class" in your character screen; ether Mage, Warrior, or Thief I think its called. The reason your getting "Adventurer" a lot is most likely because the amount of points throughout the 3 "classes" is ending up with the same points or close. This is what's making your character end up with the same title. Since I have played more then a few characters that have a almost maxed Thief or Mage with little or no points in the other 2 and never got "Adventure". But when I try to mix Warrior, Thief and a little Mage I have gotten it.

TLDR: Your Title seems based on the about of points in 3 "Classes" in your character window.

But this is just me guessing from experience.

13. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Nope, I've had full Warrior and full Mage, both gave me the Adventurer.

14. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Its not a matter of classes at all, but rather skills. It seems to go to adventurer any time you have either maxed more than one skill or have the same amount of points in multiple skills. I think its a major oversight on the the developers part, since it's fairly obvious the best plan for survival is to max out a couple of skills fairly early for their capstone. Personally, I think certain groups should be taken into consideration as well as classes(which, on their own, would only leave room for 7 possible titles) or individual skills(which would fall into the 'Adventurer' issue).

As for groups, an example would be if a player has maxed Magic Training and Ley Walker, the become 'the Mana Puller'. As they have no maxed a two skill group, that will be their title till they max a three skill group. An example would be if they then maxed Promethean Magic, they become 'the Mana Burner'. Anything else they do wouldn't affect the title unless it pulled them out of the wizard class. Not all combos would need to have titles though. For instance, a Unarmed Combat/Shield Bearer would be called 'the Shaolin Monk', but maxing something unrelated to that theme, such as Wand Lore, wouldn't change the title. Anyone that hasn't fallen into a group will be named by their first skill maxed, and those who haven't maxed any would be called 'the Adventurer'.

I actually think this could spark a fun little community project of coming up with combos and naming them.