What happens when you run out of skills to level up?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by marsgreekgod, Aug 5, 2011.

1. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

Sorry I didn't see an answer anywhere

2. Embolus

Embolus Member

Nothing. You'll just have skill points with nowhere to put them.

3. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

still gain stats?

Any level cap?

4. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

There's no level cap (that I've come across yet).
    Basically, the only thing you get from leveling up is skill points. Those get spent on skills which will increase your stats.

5. Embolus

Embolus Member

Since you gain stats only by putting skill points into skills, you cannot gain stats if you run out of skills to put points in.

6. Marak

Marak Member

One of the current flaws in the game. If you pick 7 skills with only 3-5 options, you could "level cap" in the early 20s, which is quite reachable. The only time you gain stats/HP/Mana from leveling up is when you put a point in a Skill Tree, at which time you gain an Archetype Level, at which point you gain Primary Stats. If you can't pump a skill tree, the level is meaningless, unfortunately.

Although honestly, the game doesn't need a level cap because the game generates a finite amount of XP for you to gain. Monsters, Traps, Locked Doors, Locked Chests, and Artifacts (if you have Archaeology) can all give XP but they are ALL spawned in limited quantities.

I guess you could argue that XP is infinite because monsters spawn every 180-220 turns, but come on. 300 XP worth of enemies for walking around Floor 10 for 10 minutes, when you need 30,000 XP (or more) to level up? Yeah, have fun with that. That's some slow-ass level grinding (which will be for naught if you've pumped all your skill trees).

7. Incendax

Incendax Member

@Marak That is some very slow grinding, but it is very easy to create a space-mashing macro and come back in an hour to find the floor full of delcious enemies to kill.

8. Tytaine

Tytaine Member

Another thing to possibly take into consideration when making builds? Would this make the bigger trees better at the end?

9. Bhruic

Bhruic Member

"300 XP worth of enemies for walking around Floor 10 for 10 minutes"

I don't recall the XP for enemies on level 10, but what I just killed on level 7 gave me 100XP. If you're only spawning 3 enemies every 10 minutes, you're doing something very, very wrong.

10. Embolus

Embolus Member

With the future advent of door-opening monsters, I doubt Space Bar Macro would be a good idea.

11. Marak

Marak Member

I forgot you can't exaggerate at all on teh intarwebz. The point is, you're looking at either A) making a spacebar macro or B) wandering at random for teeny tiny bits of XP here and there. Either way, it's a far cry from the standard rate of XP you get by exploring new areas: getting rooms of 7+ mobs to kill all at once, plus disarming traps, plus unlocking stuff.

Edit: IIRC, Monsters on Floor 10 were giving me 70-140 XP, so about 105 or 110 on average.