Brax

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by mastafish, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mastafish

mastafish Member

first post.. love this game. had a question, has anyone everyone beaten brax and the minions he summons if you get caught stealing something?

i have to say i think its great stolen items cant be sold. otherwise the game would be totally broken lol. as it is i think stealing is way to easy and needs a fix. i dont think it was intended in its current form but nevertheless is an abusable mechanic. one thing i have noticed though.. if you steal a piece of equipment and wear/wield it into a different brax location, even if you put down the item he wont move off the spot. sometimes i get the option to buy it but i dont have the money so i havent been able to test whether he will move if i paid for the item. anyone else experience this sort of thing?

2. mastafish

mastafish Member

oh ya im a noob by the way. got really close to clearing the whole first level the other night hahaha....

3. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

You can completely kill off the collectors + brax, but I have no idea how to replicate it.

4. mastafish

mastafish Member

i have found various interesting behavior with him. for instance if you steal an item and move into a different brax location on the same floor, brax will block the path and will not move again even if you drop the stolen item. the music is the key to know when you are clear to pick up stolen items. have to leave them outside the shop on the floor you are in. also i have discovered stolen items can be sold on different levels but not on the level they were stolen in. this leads me to believe the item lists/tables/drops/whatever for each floor are generated with that floor and not independantly. even if you are 2 tiles outside the shop and pickup a stolen item brax will aggro and block. anyhow ive been having a ball... just had level 3 like 50% cleared and BAM, acid trap... i was pwning so hard with my mace of pleidies... third krong gave me -2 mana regen and it didnt even affect me because i had blood magic level 3..... gotta love hybrids! 31k score highest so far... the quest continues

5. krong

krong Member

You can actually kill the collectors? The only time I blatantly stole an item from Brax without trying to hide it, it looked to me like the collectors would respawn endlessly.
    Needless to say I died to them as they swarmed me.

6. Incendax

Incendax Member

I've taken a high level character and intentionally provoked Brax. I was able to kill over 200 collectors and they just kept coming as long as I stayed on the same level. I was not in any danger since I could one shot them, but I did not see any end to them.

Brax is very killable.

7. Icehawk78

Icehawk78 Member

The collectors are continually generated as long as there are Brax on the level you are on. I've killed off several floors' worth of Brax and Collectors with a high-level magic user, combining Obvious Fireball with Xeuclid's Translation. They only grant either 20 or 40 XP per kill, and if they manage to hit you, hit rather hard (I was an XL20 wizard with fairly heavily enchanted armor, and could easily lose 1/4th-1/2 of my total HP per hit).

8. Goatmon

Goatmon Member

yeah, the dread collectors do stupidly high damage, I think somewhere between 20-30 per hit. Getting caught stealing is not recommended for a delicate adventurer.

Also, I too discovered how very easy it is to steal from Brax. I don't mind getting away with loot rather easily, but the challenge of the game is rather diminished if things aren't a pain in the butt (Barring awesome luck, of course).

(Spoiler for those who don't want to know how to cheat Brax out of everything he owns)

If you drop an item in front of Brax while he is standing in the doorway, then move into said doorway, pick the item up, then set it down outside of the shop, you can walk out without getting into trouble. Walk past the item, so you are now two squares in front of the shop, and pick up your loot. Stay out of other shops until you have made your way to another floor, and the item is as good as yours.

However, if you return to a shop (at least one on that floor, as far as I know) and set the item down, you will lose rights to it and you will have to re-steal it back.

I assume the team is working on some way to make Brax a little more perceptive, and perhaps make stolen items flag the dread collectors by default? or maybe that would be a little unfair for thieves who have half a brain.

Perhaps one could effectively get away with this method, but with a caveat; Returning to said shop while still carrying your ill-gotten gains angers Brax automatically, and triggers the dread collectors?

Just a suggestion.

9. kagetsu

kagetsu Member

There's another way to steal from Brax, provided you have knightly leap. Grab everything you want from a store, and dump it down in front of where Brax is standing so that he will move back to his original position. Stand where Brax was, and pick something up. Brax will then be standing on top of you. Pick up the rest of the stuff and use knightly leap all the way to the next store you want to steal from/the stairs. To rob a second store just repeat the same steps but make sure to dump out all the stuff you stole from the first store as well. The catch is, once you take a non knightly step outside of the stores Brax will catch you and summon the dread collectors so make sure you are near the stairs(and don't mis-click).

10. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

No, what you do is take all the stuff up/downstairs. When you do, all your stolen stuff will be marked as non-stolen. You can enter/leave his store again just fine after that, assuming you got out without angering him.

11. Misery

Misery Member

It kinda sounds like the whole Brax catching you bit is rather bugged at the moment.... alot of these ideas really seem like they shouldnt work. Kinda also makes the last skill of Burglary pointless if they do work.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.

12. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Its kinda pointless anyway, since by level 5 or 6, you can buy just about anything you want, as with out even selling things you start to get gold en masse by that point. I would actually like to see that skill converted to something like vending machine hacking, like in Bioshock. Free food and high quality bolts? Yes please!

13. GeneralSalad

GeneralSalad Member

It IS kinda fun to steal stuff with the burglary skill and sell it back to him though :)

14. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Unless the burglary skill fails you and you instantly lose the game.

15. Kaoy

Kaoy Member

Eh. By the level you would be able to freely take burglary that high, you should be able to take out a few dread collectors and make your way to a stair case. Plus, the whole burglary tree is well suited for escaping that I have a hard time imagining anyone decently equipped couldn't make it passed them more or less unharmed.

16. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

If they didn't swarm and cockblock you I'd agree, but Move in a Mysterious Way has quite a long cool down.