What games are you playing and why?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm considering getting TL2 when I get paid. I completed (well, did the main story) Torchlight a few months ago and kinda enjoyed it.

2. Warlock

Warlock Member

Getting back into ToME and Cataclysm.

3. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I enjoyed Torchlight 2, but I have to admit I never completed it. I was too much about trying a lot of different characters, and trying a couple of mods, plus, unfortunately, I tend to lose interest in action games a lot more quickly than other games (I do enjoy them, but in small doses). My attention span has been funny in recent years, for some reasons I needn't go into.

That said, TL2 is a better TL, imho. Only time will tell if I'll be able to finish it. That said, I've already created a new character (well, I looted this really cool item that was engineer-only so I felt the need to create an engineer lol).

4. delta534

delta534 Member

If you got some sort of enjoyment out of torchlight 1, you will like torchlight 2. I never finished a game of torchlight 1, mainly due to load times, but I'm loving torchlight 2 right now.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I found I enjoyed Torchlight a lot more when I did it alongside other things. I think I sat down once and played enough Torchlight to get through the whole six-episode radio show the Reduced Shakespeare Company did for the BBC World Service and still have to put something else on after.

TL2 I'm definitely interested in, but the design is grating with me a little. It seems like they've still not grasped the idea of female armour, although they're closer in TL2 (from what I've seen) to sensible design than they were in the earlier game. For that reason alone I might just wait to see what happens in the Steam Winter Sale with it, and instead put a little bit more money into the Gold edition of Might & Magic Heroes VI.

SkyMuffin likes this.
  6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

For what it's worth every class has the exact same starter armor between both sexes, but I haven't played a female character so I dunno about drops.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I am playing Chengband again. It has been tweaked quite a bit recently and is like a whole new game. Use the latest build, rather than the "Stable" build. They tend to be a bit too cautious with releases, but most times a minor issue will not break your game nor ruin your fun.

I have also been playing a game I intend to buy soon. The word "Bonerfart" is used in that game. It is humorous. And enjoyable. But I think it feels like I am already halfway through it in only a few days playing. This game is a sequel to another. And that game had four expansion packs that added a weeks worth of additional play to the game. But this game borrows heavily from the artwork/textures used in the previous. I really think it could have been a standalone expansion to the original game. In a way this lowers the amount I am inclined to pay for the game. But I will buy it anyway. And I expect I will not be too sad to have to starve to death so they get my money. :)

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Speaking of the game I want to buy, anyone ever use this site to buy games?
    https://cdkeyshere.com/

I know little to nothing about them. It could be a scam. But someone I do not entirely distrust says they are legitimate.

The game I want to buy most is less than half the normal Steam price via them. It sounds too good to be true...

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I did a little bit of research on this -- it LOOKS to me like they MIGHT be a grey-market seller. Here's what I read about it (this is not something that I know for a fact, but it may fit -- you may want to do more research than I did). What happens is that they may buy the game in another country and then sell ONLY the key in a country where they don't have the rights to do so (where prices are usually higher for the game). It's possible that the key is legit in the country where they sell it, or it may not be. If it is not, you are taking a chance that the publisher will either not honor the key or may even ban your account. Or it may be totally legit lol.

In other words "I don't know". But just from the fact that they only sell the keys, indicates that they probably are grey-market, and so I (personally) wouldn't buy from them, unless I learned otherwise.

/edit
    OK, fyi, I'm sure now that they are grey-market, so there is a chance that your key may not be honored. Someone posted that a lot of their keys are Russian. So, in other words, buyer beware.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

banjo2E helped out in this regard.
    http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/ltb8s/borderlands-2-for-usd-2599

It seems likely to be a serious risk to losing your entire Steam account and all games purchased there. The fact that they require you to give them your Steam account access in full and to use a VPN tells me not to even consider it.

Turns out that too good to be true actually is in this case. :(

*Edit* Here is a quote from one of the links in that link:
    "Game activation requires a Russian VPN. Because of this please disable Steam Guard and send your Steam id and password while making your order."

Also, https://cdkeyshere.com/how-to-redeem-a-russian-cd-key-via-vpn.html

11. Warlock

Warlock Member

In Soviet Russia, game pirates you!

Steam account access in full and hand over a VPN? Thank you but no thanks.

SkyMuffin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Fair enough. I'm mostly just going off the art they've used in the marketing, which of course might be completely wrong.

13. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Following the project eternity announcement, i went on a Black Isle craze, and finished Fallout 1, and started a Fallout 2 game as well as Planescape Torment.

Aside from that i'm playing Black Mesa and Torchlight 2.

In 2 weeks i'll be playing Xcom.

Too much games;

SkyMuffin likes this.
  14. delta534

delta534 Member

I'm currently playing torchlight 2 and borderlands 2, I plan to play black mesa as well and work on my steam backlog. I have way too many games and I want more.

15. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I have a Planescape Torment hint. Not a spoiler.

If you want to discover the ultimate truth behind things in the game, you NEED to have a very high wisdom at the end of the game. 22 or higher I believe. High Wisdom gives you the opportunity to learn certain... secrets...

The game works with any sort of character, and there are lots of awesome interpretations of the ending. But if you're only going to play it once, and you want the truth... high Wisdom.

Kazeto and Kamisma like this.
  16. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

yeah i know, high charisma, high intel, high wisdom ^_^

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Though starting with the intellect stat the highest is likely better, as that sort of allows the nameless one not to be so abysmal in combat (which is fine when he's on his own, but when your party dies because of that it's kind of aggravating) since he'll be able to at least cast spells.

18. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

On my one (incomplete) playthrough of PS:T, I found that maxing wisdom at character creation was the best way to go about it. I put a few points in Con for some starting HP, a few in Dex for thief XPs, and a couple in Int. All my stat points for the first few levels went into Int until I got it to a reasonable level. Didn't put any points into Cha, because a couple of Friends spells would pump that right up whenever I needed it.

19. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I've been playing a lot of L4D2, mostly because games are short and I don't have to commit much to it at any given time. I've actually never tried survival or scavenge, despite playing 300 hrs. Tried survival on Dead Center yesterday and I was surprised by how much depth there is. There was a guy with a 35 minute record there and he explained the whole "running the track" thing and the various jumps on the map...it was fascinating and seems like a challenge I could enjoy.

Besides that, I played Home, the little indie horror game. Not bad at all, although there are some loose ends that make it feel a bit rushed. It had a great creepy atmosphere though.

20. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I never finished planescape: torment. Should finish it one of these days, but I always get paralyzed by how much there is to do in these games :(

Currently playing:
    * Tokyo Jungle: Holy crap this game is fun. Feels like a real old school throwback, and although it gets tiring in anything more than short bursts, it's great silly times.
    * Torchlight 2: TL1 was my favorite relax-and-listen-to-podcasts game and this has taken the new mantle. Surpasses the original in every way, and IMO a truer successor to Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 was. Yay!
    * XCOM (with UFO Extender). Doing a runthrough on beginner mode. Cut me a break, this game is hard :(. About to head to Cydonia as soon as I can capture a damned commander.