So Archaeology is useless now?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Lord Blade, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

I see since the patch, "This translation is all wrong" no longer improves items. It just gives you some basic little stats (good or bad).

A shame, I was hoping to have fun making those super items as other had.

Is there any way to undo a patch?

2. 123stw

123stw Member

The patch isn't out yet.

3. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Hmm... then why doesn't it seem to work as others have claimed?

I've seen screenshots of artifacts people have gotten with ludicrous stats.

4. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

You have to reroll a weapon a lot. There's a bug where it won't reroll the damage mods. This is being fixed. I don't see where you get 'It just gives you some basic little stats' from 'This Translation Is All Wrong! now enacts a Terrible Price.'

Also, even if that skill was removed entirely, archeology would NOT be useless. Just because something ridiculously broken is being fixed does not make it useless now.

5. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well, I don't see much use in the rest of the skills.

6. Marak

Marak Member

Turning Artifacts you don't need/can't use/are the wrong weapon type/that are armor with stats you don't need into EXPERIENCE POINTS is something you can't see the use of?

Being able to enchant TWO items (or one item TWICE) on EACH Anvil of Krong the game generates doesn't register as useful?

Starting the game with a Fedora that compliments any melee build and is nearly impossible to replace short of a high-level Articfact Vampire Hunter's Hat doesn't strike you as potentially helpful?

:confused:

7. 123stw

123stw Member

It's the ability of 2 buff per anvil, reroll the negatives off, and the trap affinity.

It's still MASSIVE grind just to get one specific positive that you want per item. In my case it's 1 necro resist on every gear that already has 4 anvil buffs. Takes like 20 - 30 rerolls each just for that.

Personally I hate using Archaeology because of how grindy it is.

8. Marak

Marak Member

It's only grindy if you insist on each item having the perfect load-out of skills. If you can curb your Stat OCD and settle for "pretty much what I needed", it's a LOT less tedious and frustrating. Of course, your character also won't be QUITE as optimal, so it's certainly a bit of a trade-off.

9. 123stw

123stw Member

Maybe I just don't have the kind of patience that you do, because at least 1 necro defense per item which already has 4 anvils stacked is neither "perfect load-out" or Stat OCD.

Besides, Lord Blade is clearly asking for some kind of perfect stats. I am just trying to give him a perspective of how long that takes.

10. Desi

Desi Member

I reroll only if the anvil gives me negatives. I settle for the first positive effect it gives me. I got lucky and scored +2 piercing resistance once!

11. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

*Turning Artifacts you don't need/can't use/are the wrong weapon type/that are armor with stats you don't need into EXPERIENCE POINTS is something you can't see the use of?*

Meh, never had any problem getting enough XP to max out everything.

*Being able to enchant TWO items (or one item TWICE) on EACH Anvil of Krong the game generates doesn't register as useful?*

Um, trying twice on any artifact has ALWAYS failed for me.
    And there's tons of anvils in the dungeon. I've never had problems getting everything I have enchanted.

*Starting the game with a Fedora that compliments any melee build and is nearly impossible to replace short of a high-level Articfact Vampire Hunter's Hat doesn't strike you as potentially helpful?*

The hat's not all that powerful. Yeah, it gives some decent buffs compared to the nothing you usually start with. But it's easily replaced.

12. Incendax

Incendax Member

Generally, as long as you are full clearing each floor of the dungeon you are going to max your skills so the experience point bonus is not a big deal. The skill could probably be looked at.

However, it is completely possible and I have frequently gotten multiple successes in a row from multiple anvils used on the exact same item. The final skill is very useful.

The fedora is not easily replaced if you are looking for a good Dodge or Counter helmet. It also defies the RNG which is a net positive. Not a great bonus but a notable bonus regardless.

13. lokiju

lokiju Member

Archaeology is one of the more OP skills. The starting hat will last for a few levels. Trap affinity and sight are great for extra xp, traps to use on monsters, and overall survival. The extra XP from museum artifacts helps keep my bags less full (really really helpful!) on top of leveling up MUCH faster, thus making the game easier. As for the other 2, well, they are certainly useful,

14. Bhruic

Bhruic Member

"I've never had problems getting everything I have enchanted."

I'm not sure how to take this statement. Are you unaware that you can enchant an item more than once? Stacking enchantments is a very powerful tool, and well worth doing.

15. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

Guys, guys. This guy is obviously messing with us. Be cause anyone that doesn't see benefits in this two clearly overpowered skills must be either joking or lacking a part of his brain ;)
    Dude. The experience boost is huge and extremely helpful. At least on GoingRogue where every lil' thing is needed. Same goes for last skill. You clearly don't know how to use anvils. (you drag an item on them and then right click the anvil with the skill).
    And fedora is imo the best starting hat ingame. Again, read what buffs do and try finding a better helmet in early dungeons.
    And you are obviously playing on Elvish or Dwarven difficulty, where game is so extremely easy. You need every single stat and help you can get on GoingRogue. Go play that difficulty and you'll see.

(btw, you can reroll stats literally forever. Also, anvil never gives negative stats, unless the god doesn't like your weapon (ie mage stuff), I think.)

Pussy! :S

16. 123stw

123stw Member

I don't get all the love for Fedora. Percentage process requires a pretty high number to work well, and you just don't got that at the beginning of the game. A single defense point will consistently block damage, which is better than the the 4 dodge, 3 counter, and 2 crit for dungeon 1 and 2. I tend to switch to a leather cap or bucket once I find one.

The first half of the game seems to be all about armor absorb. The second half is where the % stuff like block really shines.

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@DerpTyrant "Also, anvil never gives negative stats, unless the god doesn't like your weapon (ie mage stuff), I think.)"
    You're wrong, but I don't blame you for having good(?) luck with Krong. I've had helmets, maces, flails, The Royal Beatdown, Armor, freaking steel armor, robes, you name it, it all gets cursed.

And I play on Elvish and I enjoy the game, it's hardly easy. Don't know why people say it is.
    If it was, I would have beaten it by now.

Yes, Lord Blade is probably messing with us.
    I just don't know how you can sit here and say only mage stuff gets corrupted by the Anvil of Krong.
    You can put the strongest sword in the game on that Anvil, and he will still curse it.

18. 123stw

123stw Member

Despite the actual %, my stuff end up getting cursed half the time. I don't even bother using the Anvil without Archaeology anymore because most of my items I cannot afford getting a bad curse on. And I expect myself to never touch Anvil again once 1.04 come out.

19. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

Elvish difficulty? Damn man, you don't even need Archelogy then. Try GoingRogue and you'll see how important that skill is. GoingRogue is about 3x times as hard as Dwarven. I didn't even try Elvish so I can't know.

And I never get -stats from anvil :( what?

20. 123stw

123stw Member

@DerpTyrant

Well you don't "need" archaeology as long as you got a beefy enough stun (ex. Nervous Staple, Nightmare Curse). Besides, might as well get used to it since you won't have the same luxury in 1.04.