Visual/graphic low health notifier.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by InspecterJones, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Whenever I play without the sound on I end up forgetting to check my health every 5 seconds and end up dying to something stupid. It would be nice to have the screen flash red around the edges or something else to notify of low health. I know it sounds silly cause I could just be looking at the health bar, but it happens. I don't like dying for stupid reasons.

2. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

I would like this feature. I think happens in the tile versions of Stone Soup and ToME, too.

3. Incendax

Incendax Member

The visual/graphic low health notifier can be located at the bottom of your screen near the middle. It is a face with giant eyebrows. As you become increasingly damaged, that giant eyebrow face grows increasingly more bloody and beaten!

4. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

YOUR HEALTH IS LOW

5. Marak

Marak Member

re: Incendax

That's such a brilliant idea, I can't belive that no FPS game has ever thought of using the hero's bloody countenance to give you an idea of how badly the Nazis or Hell-spawn or whatever are beating you up. ;P

re: Pauyasfyla

Thanks, now I have Announcer Guy stuck in my head. "Your inventory is FULL"

re: OP

You clearly haven't played enough MMOs, if you had you'd be so used to glancing at your health meter that it becomes second nature. Go go muscle memory. That's the only thing I could suggest: practice glancing at your health meter whenever and try to "get in the habit". Sounds stupid, but if it can save you from avoidable deaths, might be worth it.

6. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

EAT FOOD TO REGAIN HEALTH

7. Marak

Marak Member

NEED MORE MANA; DRINK MOAR BOOZE!

8. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

YOUR LiFEForCE IS RUNNING OUT

9. Marak

Marak Member

And the all-time favorite...

HEROIC VANDALISM

10. Incendax

Incendax Member

Heroic Vandalism seems like such a wonderful reference to countless roleplaying games where you are encouraged to break down the doors to some creature's lair, stab it in the face, and take all its stuff.

And why? Because they look different from us.

11. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Oh man, I'd love a visual queue when you get low on health. I've died to so many stupid things simply because I was paying attention to health. XD

12. Ratha

Ratha Member

They do offer two simultaneous visual cues and an audio cue.. short of making the whole screen flash (which would get annoying) it might be a bit hard to make it more obvious to people who arnt paying any attention at all. :p

13. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

My main problem with it is that the audio cue (queue is a line, btw) triggers when you're pretty much already dead.

Also I would like to have some reddening of the edges of the screen depending on how much damage you took last round, based on your total health. For instance, if you just took 1/3rd your total HP in damage, things should get pretty red.

14. pauyasfyla

pauyasfyla Member

Blood splattering across the screen, a la modern FPSs, which is markedly the polar opposite of a roguelike, would be amazing (Hey, the DOOM reference is there already).

15. Marak

Marak Member

Aww, Pauyasfyla beat me to it. I was going to suggest that they change all colors in the game to shades of brown (or grey), make the screen bloody around the edges when injured, and introduce a health mechanic that takes you from near-death to full health whenever X number of turns pass without getting hit again.

Toss in some Cover Mechanics, jack the price up to $60, make sure the AI buddies in the first level can beat the mission without your help, and you're on your way to making billions for Activision.

16. KittenMaster

KittenMaster Member

Change the idle, standing sprite to have a "weakened" pose, corresponding to the HP values of when your DOOMguy portrait changes. This would only affect the standing sprite, and not require changing any of the animations (I know myself that is a huge pain).