Found 2 bugs and love this game

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Godwin, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Godwin

Godwin Member

I totally love this game, so I want to contribute to make it better. However, I'd very much like to spend my free day playing it instead of browsing the forums to see if these bugs are already recorded somewhere, sorry. I did use the search, and didn't find them.

#1: When having exactly enough zorkmids for an item in an automatic dispenser the dispenser doesn't give the item, as if you don't have enough. I myself just noticed this with a aged blue cheese, it asked 71, I had exactly 71, and it didn't work. As soon as I had 76 it worked, and I got 5 zorkmids back.

#2: Knightly Leap, much to my dismay during my game just now, does nothing.

Additional info: I have the steam version, updated last night.

Thanks!

2. Knightly Leap is not broken. You have to jump like the horse in chess ^^

3. Godwin

Godwin Member

? Do I rightclick a tile then? I thought I had to just rightclick anywhere like with some Frog or whatitsname jump (arithmetic school iirc). I'll try it out, thanks!

4. Godwin

Godwin Member

Yup works, sweet. And the teleport is not Frog jump, but Froda jump or such and it's from mathemagic.

5. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Yeah, Knightly Leap should highlight the different squares when you hold down the RMB so you can tell where you can go

6. Godwin

Godwin Member

Nah, just a line of text should suffice, in the skill description.

7. fishofmuu

fishofmuu Member

Well a lot of other skills don't work unless you aim them right. Why not Knightly Leap?

8. marsgreekgod

marsgreekgod Member

Becuse they don't TELL you how to aim it. I like it a lot, but it's a bit to clever or to random for a few players

9. Desi

Desi Member

Yeah, it isn't obvious enough in the description. Even a mention of chess would help.

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I know. When I first used the skill I thought it was broken, until I finally figured it out.
    That was not a smart decision on Gaslampgames's part. :)
    Knightly leap to me seems like a skill that would allow you to jump and land somewhere. Not only in a L-shape like in Chess.

11. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, the "Knightly" part is far, far too subtle.

12. kermix

kermix Member

True, I only knew what it did because of the Knight class in Nethack - it's kind of a classic in-joke. ;)

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Marak I hope that wasn't sarcasm. It's hard to tell.
    That said, the words Knightly Leap doesn't magically mean leap in a L word shape. :)

14. Marak

Marak Member

No, I was serious. I haven't actually played Nethack (I know, blasphemy, but from what I've seen and heard of it I really missed out) and calling something "Knightly" isn't going to trigger the "Oh it's an L-shaped Teleport!" reflex in everyone. I had no idea how it worked until I read someone explaining it in a YouTub comment on someone's LP.

15. jareddm

jareddm Member

What if Knightly was in quotes in the actual description?

16. Marak

Marak Member

"All those years in the Chess Club in Adventuring School have finally paid off. You can now leap like your favorite horsey-shaped playing piece!"

...or something similar, but less lame.

17. Godwin

Godwin Member

Something like that would definitely help for this skill yes! Although a roguelike also has the right to be obscure about stuff... but the problem is that there are bugs too, and it's too easy thinking: "meh this is bugged", which prevents you from trying out. Nethack may have it's weird stuff, but I never had the idea that I found a bug.

BTW found another bug, one that annoys me a lot (I am on dungeon level 5 btw, it's tricky at times, but so far so good). The bug is that selfmade healing pots, mana pots, acidium salts, aqua regia etc do not stack with found ones... pretty annoying for an alchemist.

In any case, still loving this game, thanks gaslamps, looking forward to the next patch that should hopefully fix the bugged skills like dual wielding etc that I've heard so much about ^^

18. Marak

Marak Member

There's a bug with potions in general. For various reasons (loading a saved game, sticking the wrong thing in a crafting widget), potions will stop stacking properly. If I remember correctly, it's already been fixed, and if not, I know I saw it on the "to do list" in one of the blog posts, so it should go away Soon™.

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Marak Ah. Good. I thought you weren't sarcastically saying it was obvious. :)
    No one's that mean. :)
    @Godwin Yeah, roguelikes can be somewhat obscure about stuff, but skills are not allowed. :)